"Hingle" pheasent trap/snare

Hi, I cant find ANY referances on the net for this trap. Its is basically a spring snare used to catch pheasents, it is also baited.

Here is a little drawing I drew up, the proportions are all out but you get the idea how it works.

The yellow thing on the green stick is the bait, a piece of corn on the cob is what I saw. Mr or Mrs pheasent comes along, starts pecking at the cob through the snare, which knocks the stick out causing the hazel pole to spring up snaring the pheasent. The sides of the trap are coverd in bush, weeds etc to try and only let the pheasent get to the bait one way, through the snare.

Snare.jpg

Looks an interesting thing, anybody ever tried it or similar?

I might have got the name wrong, was hard to tell what he was saying.

ATB,

H&J :thumbs:

arnt we the artistic one ! :clapper:

john b was selling a book "traps old and primative" i think it might have been called think that had a few variations of that trap in it, i bought a copy myself a while ago but i lent it to a mate who hasnt returned it.....thanks for reminding me ! :thumbs:

#

anyway give john a shout, crackin book ! :yes:

WELL MATE ,

AS KIDS ........... WE USED BENDER SNARES FOR PHEASENTS REGULARY

USUALLY ON DAYS WE USED WITHOUT THE BAIT ....... THE GAPS WERE FILLED IN HEDGES TILL ONLY ROUTES OUT OF THE COVERTS WERE GAPS WHICH WERE SNARED .... THE BIRDS WERE THEN ..... " SLOWLY " DRIVEN FORWARD ....... YOU DONT WANT THEM LIFTING ..... HAD HUNDREDS OVER A WEEKEND WITH THAT METHOD ......... SHOWN TO US BY AN OLD FELLA WHO KILLED ONE HELL OF A LOT OF GAME :yes:

WE ALSO USED THE BAITED SNARES FOR PHEASENTS AND OTHER GAME BIRDS :angel: .... BUT WITH A SIMPLER SET UP THAN THE DRAWING ........ VERY DEADLY WHEN SET IN THE RIGHT SITUATION .

HE KILLED MORE GAME THAN MANY WOULD THINK POSSIBLE , ARMED WITH NETS , CATTYS , SNARES, FERRETS AND AN OLD MONGREL

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :victory:

Right then - first thanks Ricky for the plug. That book has a number or 'sprung snares' in it and copies are still available ..........

'How to Trap and Snare' by William Carnegie has a reference to 'Hingles' in the index, but when you look on the page it covers both 'springles' and 'hingles'.

Hingles are defined as "small hares on nooses made from horsehair, fine gimp ( :icon_eek: ), whipcord or wire"...... "For most purposes twisted horsehair is strong enough, but, plaited threefold or doubly twisted in fourfold, it will hold a pheasant or hawk"

There are some diagrams and more text - I'll try and scan it in.

here you go, found this http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

GROUND SNARES.

THE OLD-FASHIONED SPRINGLE.

This is the variety of snare which has been in very common use for ages, and has always been the one solitary example of a noose trap which our "boys' books" have invariably pounced upon for illustration. For the capture of small birds it works very nicely; and as without it our list of traps would be incomplete, we will give an illustration of it as it appears when Page 59 set and ready for its work. In constructing the affair it is first necessary to cut a flexible twig of willow or bramble about eighteen inches in length, and form it into a loop as seen at (a), securing the tips by a few circuits of string, and allowing the larger end to project an inch or more beyond the other. This loop, which is called the "spreader," should now be laid down flat; and on the upper side of the large end and about an inch from its tip, a notch should be cut as our illustration shows. The spring should next be procured, and should consist of a pliant, elastic switch, about four feet in length. A piece of fish line about two feet long, should now be fastened to the tip of the switch, and the loose end of the cord attached to a catch piece of the shape shown at (b). This catch may be about an inch and a half long, and should be whittled off to an edge on one end, the string being attached at about its centre. A slipping noose, made from strong horse hair, or piece of fine wire about two feet long, should now be fastened to the string about two inches above the catch. Having the switch thus prepared, it is ready to be inserted in the ground at the place selected for the trap. When this is done, another small flexible twig about a foot in length should cut, and being sharpened at both ends, should be inserted in the ground in the form of an arch (c), at about three feet distant from the spring, and having its broad side toward it. Insert the notch of the spreader exactly under the top of the arc, and note the spot where the curved end of the former touches the ground. At this point a peg (d) should be driven leaving a projecting portion of about two inches. post-2748-1188140790.jpg

The pieces are now ready to be adjusted. Pass the curved end of the spreader over the peg, bringing the notched end beneath the arc with the notch uppermost. Draw down the catch piece, and pass it beneath the arc from the opposite side letting the bevelled end catch in the notch in the spreader, the other end resting against the upper part of the arc. Arrange the slipping noose over the spreader as our drawing indicates, bringing it inside the peg, as there shown, as otherwise it would catch upon it when the snare is sprung. Strew the bait, consisting of berries, bird-seed, or the like, inside the spreader, and all is ready. Presently a little bird is seen to settle on the ground in the neighborhood of the trap; he spies the bait and hopping towards it, gradually makes bold enough to alight upon the spreader, which by his weight immediately falls, the catch is released, the switch flies up, and the unlucky bird dangles in the air by the legs. If the trapper is near he can easily release the struggling creature before it is at all injured, otherwise it will flutter itself into a speedy death.

THE IMPROVED SPRINGLE.

The accompanying cut illustrates an improvement on the last mentioned trap, whereby it can be used for the capture of larger game, and with most excellent success. In place of the "spreader" a crotched stick is used, the crotch of which catches around the peg, the other end being supplied with a notch as in the case of the spreader.

post-2748-1188140837.jpg On the upper side of this stick a small pasteboard platform is tacked, over which and beneath which the bait is thrown. Instead of the arc, a stout crotch stick is substituted. The noose should be at least ten inches in diameter and constructed of sucker wire. It should be arranged on the ground around the bait and inside of the peg. When the snare is set, the crotched end of the bait stick will thus rest near the earth, the notched end only being lifted in order to reach the catch piece. It is well to insert a few small sticks inside the edge of the noose in order to keep it in correct position. If properly set, the quail or partridge in approaching the Page 61 trap will have to step inside the noose in order to reach the bait, and while thus regaling itself with a choice meal of oats, berries, or other delicacies, will be sure to press upon the bait stick either by pecking, or treading upon it, and will thus set the catch piece free, only to find itself secured by a grasp from which he will never escape alive. This is a very effectual snare; but on account of its securing its victim by the legs and thus torturing them to death, it is to be deprecated. We would recommend in preference, those varieties already described as being fully as successful, and far less cruel. They effect almost instant death, either by broken necks or strangulation, and are in this regard among the most humane traps on record.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
"small hares on nooses made from horsehair, fine gimp ( :icon_eek: ), whipcord or wire"

:laugh::clapper: I enjoyed that one, John!

H&J; Get yeself off to Tideline Books, mate. They likely still carry Carnigie's other book, " Practical Trapping ". That one's chock full of such stuff and plenty else besides. It's been reprinted that often down the years that one could Collect just differant editions and build quite a library!

It was the first trapping book I ever got my hands on. I still have a couple of editions right here with me now ~ along with his " How To ... ". But 'Practical' has always been my favourite ;)

Oh, and yeppers; Shit like this has been illegal since before ye Dad was born :whistling:

Oh, and yeppers; Shit like this has been illegal since before ye Dad was born :whistling:quote]

HELLS BELLS ,

LETS FACE IT IS OWT LEGAL THESE DAYS :doh: ................... SOMETIMES I THINK THE ONLY THING I DO STRAIGHT IS LIE IN BED

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Guest Ditch_Shitter

H&J; Despite DW's shouting and screaming, I'm not trying to act as the voice of ye moral conciounce, mate. Just helping ye not make a f*ck up that'll haunt ye.

Bottom line is that, in uk today, it's illegal to use just about anything but a gun to take proscribed birds. And only they can be taken. And they only in their proscribed season. It really is as simple as that. Even shooting the damn things is covered by various laws.

Obviously, there are certain exceptions. Some people can take other birds, by other methods. But those people know full well who they are. You don't know ye one of them? Ye not. So ye can't do it. Ok? About as much as You can do - legally - is shoot the things where ye have written permission to do so. Anything else ye hear of will now be illegal.

That said, I can only repeat: I'm simply pointing out the spirit of the laws in your country. Wether ye want to break those laws of not is really of no concern of mine. I just thought it might help for ye to Know, before ye start slapping up posts and pictures of illegally taken stuff :whistling: