After trying to find that perfect tree fork for weeks i caved in and had a go at making my first catapult with a board cut, havent a clue what wood it is but after firing 5 12mm leads at one of the boards i think it qualifies as safe for use.

Made with coping saw and hand files it took quite a while to make to a standard i was happy with, i based it on my current hunting catty just until i knew i could do it then im gonna move onto something more difficult

2013-08-11171214_zps96f55a1a.jpg

Anyone reccomend a finish for it, looking for a dark colour and a glass smooth finish

Thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After trying to find that perfect tree fork for weeks i caved in and had a go at making my first catapult with a board cut, havent a clue what wood it is but after firing 5 12mm leads at one of the bo

Thanks mate, took me ages but im happy with it, gonna give your milk bottle idea next

Heres the micro hdpe bb shooter ive just finished      

Posted Images

Great first attempt!

It looks like pine to me, I wouldn't recommend using pine for catapults as it's a softwood.

If you want to get a darker colour you could try teak oil or a wood stain. For a glass like finish the best I've seen is Tru-Oil used for gunstocks but it's not very hard wearing. CA glue finishes are much harder wearing however they take a bit of practice to get right, but will leave a lovely shiny finish. Personally I prefer hard wax oil but it's not cheap and again not the easiest to apply.

After trying to find that perfect tree fork for weeks i caved in and had a go at making my first catapult with a board cut, havent a clue what wood it is but after firing 5 12mm leads at one of the boards i think it qualifies as safe for use.

Made with coping saw and hand files it took quite a while to make to a standard i was happy with, i based it on my current hunting catty just until i knew i could do it then im gonna move onto something more difficult

2013-08-11171214_zps96f55a1a.jpg

Anyone reccomend a finish for it, looking for a dark colour and a glass smooth finish

Thanks

I have loads of seasoned naturals ;) also ally cut cattys you do rest of work on them.

Thanks its only having singles on it so if it is pine im sure it wont break, plus its 1 1/2 inch thick lol

Is tru oil clear or if not what colour will it be once its applied?

Tru oil won't really get the dark effect you are hoping for I don't think, it will help bring the grain out and add a nice surface finish though. For catapults you want something that's a bit more harder wearing I think. To get it darker I would use a wood stain, you might have some knocking around? The sort of stuff you use on a garden fence should do the job.

Here's a link to an instructional video Nathan Masters has done on how to apply a CA finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_ulK-w7KE