Ringing? So, You Want To Be A Ringer ....?

As I'm here, and thinking of it; I spoke to my boss today and mentioned 'This'.

Now, without trawling through the whole thread, right now. Weren't there about four of ye who'd applied for Trainee status?

Could ye please just drop me a PM and let me know the state of play? I might well have something for ye ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay. So I'm seeing some heart felt enthusiasm here I'm being asked how and what it's like to get into proper, legal, BTO authorised ringing.   Then I'm being told; " I hope I'm not asking too m

As pete says ...GO FOR IT ! .   I contacted 5 people off there and (i was going to keep this quiet till the trainee form was signed but feck it ) i managed to get a taster day with a chap only h

Can a mod do the tagging/locking what ever it fecking is thing and put this up the top with the wild food bit,bloody good info this and many thanks OP for taking the time. Pinned

Do you think that it is geographical? In that they may have ringers already operating in the area you live? That could be why they jumped at Pete's application so quickly, if they did not have a ringer in that area?

TC

Edited by tiercel

Paulus; Expect a PM from me, in due course, mate! (I'm not sure what's going on with me right now, look. Certainly shouldn't be f**king concious! :laugh: My Body Clock's gone west)

TC; There's simply no way on gods little green earth that we can have 'Too Many Ringers', mate! The whole purpose of the scheme, since its inception over a century ago, is to track and keep tabs on perfectly normal, naturally behaving, wild birds.

I catch birds on my patch. I ring them and let them go. How great, if there were a network of Ringers, every few miles from me. We'd track every move 'My' birds made and would be recording each others, almost day to day.

And no migrant would go unchecked. We'd be telling Russia; " One of yours, hatched in Moscow, has turned up over here. Paired up with a Norwegian bird! "

As it is? It's probably closer to a " Message in a Bottle " thing! We may, individually, ring hundreds and hundreds of birds. And never hear of them again. Because there's no one else out there to pick them up on their radar.

Both my neighbour / mates. Pat and Noel, have listened to me. Both have deliberately bent down and picked up dead birds they've noticed. And the pair of them were absolutely chuffed that I could then tell them these birds life histories. Because they were rung :D

See? From ground zero, to international levels, ringing is good. On so many levels. How then can we have too many people willing to get out there and spend their time trying to support the effort? ;)

" Applied "? I take it ye mean ye used their map, to find a Trainer near you, then used their form, to send him ye details?

Something may have gone wrong at his end. Ask HQ to look into it. He may be indisposed and nobody realised it yet.

" Ringing@BTO.Org " should get there :good:

• 2 weeks later...

:censored: Okay, lads. This is f**king pissing me off. Big Time! The BTO Ringing Unit are wringing their hands about the demographic of Ringers.

So, people like me are doing our utmost to encourage people like You.

You do as the BTO tells me to tell You to do ..... and what happens?!

This sort of thing gets discussed on the Ringers Group. Practically All Ringers get angry about these people who wave their laurels about; " Oh, I'm an A License / Trainer. Then show willing to Train No One!

It boils our urine!

But; The times some of you guys appear to be Returning to BTO HQ, asking WTF? And then getting no response from Them?! It's starting to make ME look like a f**king monkey, isn't it?

I Know they're busy. Up to their eyes in pumping out Licenses, ironically enough. But, this situation's just getting silly. And the first rule of the Ringing scheme is: 'Don't bring the ringing scheme into disrepute'!

well ....! :(