Royal Mail & Airguns (New As Of August 2013)

Hi,

Is there any recommendations of which courier to use for sending air rifles and pistols? I've seen people on other forums using myHermes.

This is an extract from their retail (non business account) T&C's

Copied from the myHermes website

We do not accept the below for carriage:

• Magnetised material with a magnetic field strength of 0.159A/m or more at a distance of 2.1m from the outside of the package.

• Vehicle Parts - Parts which are over our weight limit (15kg) or that are outside of our dimension limits. We also exclude parts that contain liquids.

• Miscellaneous manufactured articles - Goods made in foreign prisons, except those imported for non-commercial purpose of a kind not manufactured in the United Kingdom, or those in transit.

• Misleading endorsements - Parcels must not bear words, marks or designs which are unauthorised and which may reasonably lead the recipient to believe that the packet has been sent On Her Majesty’s Service.

• Oxidising substances and organic peroxide - These are substances such as disinfectants and may cause or contribute to combustion of other substances. They may also be liable to explosive decomposition, react dangerously with other substances, and injure health. For example: Bromides; Chlorates; Components of Fibreglass Repair Kits; Disinfectants; Nitrates; Per Chlorates; Permanganates and Peroxides.

• Pathogens - Things that can cause disease, such as a virus. Pathogens in the Risk Group 4 and selected Risk Group 3 listed in Schedule 9, Part 5 of the latest edition of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations are prohibited. E.g. Clinical; Environmental and Medical Waste; Ebola, Anthrax and Foot and Mouth Disease.

• Perfumes and Aftershaves - Perfumes and Aftershaves that are classed as flammable are prohibited. Non-flammable items may be accepted but there are restrictions based on alcoholic content.

• Poisonous (toxic) and infectious substances - Substances that are liable to cause death or injury if swallowed or inhaled, or by skin contact.

• All toxic substances are prohibited. E.g. Arsenic; Beryllium; Cyanide; Fluorine; Hydrogen Selenide; Infectious Substances containing Micro-Organisms or their Toxins which are known to cause (or are suspected of causing) disease: Mercury; Mercury Salts; Mustard Gas; Nitrobenzene; Nitrogen Dioxide; Pesticides; Rat Poison; Serum and Vaccines.

• Pesticides - Any chemical that is used to kill pests and insects.

• Pressurised Containers - Such oxygen tanks or Fire Extinguishers

• Radioactive materials - Radioactive materials and samples that are classified as radioactive using Table 2-12 of the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organisations' (ICAO) Technical Instructions. For example: Fissile Material; (Uranium 235, etc); Radioactive Waste Material; Thorium or Uranium Ores, etc.

• Sharp Instruments - Sharp instruments, e.g. knives, gardening and household tools, unless they are properly protected.

• Solvent-Based Paints and Inks - These are varnishes (including nail varnish), enamels and similar substances.

• UN2814 or UN2900 Infectious Substances - These are classified at Division 6.2 of the 2005-2006 Edition Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air published by International Civil Aviation Organisation, (ICAO).

• Water-Based Paints and Inks .

• Weapons and replica weapons.

If you look at my other posts you will see that ParcelForce will take an air rifle but read their terms and conditions first to make sure you are insured

Edited by 4sight
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure that you all know of the changes that Royal Mail tried to implement last year/early this year? IE the banning of carriage of airguns and their component parts? This would have fecked us all

A Bbs member has had his Fx verminator seized by Rm copied from Bbs   I sent a fx verminator to Scotland on Tuesday in its original case bubble wrapped and in cardboard box..by rmsd £25 with compe

Just read the above. I may be being cynical, but I reckon there's 'other forces' at work here. It's no coincidence that the Scottish government have been trying to ban airguns altogether, We had rio

Hello guys,

So I felt I needed to add a little to this.. I may have different experiences but never post parcel 48 on a Thursday.. It seems for some reason they shut down if you post Thursday you receive Tuesday..

Now two working days (the 48 promised in the name.. Parcelforce48) to me, and correct me if I am wrong.. Is Monday?!?

So this makes me wonder.. What do they do on Saturdays? Because there are deliveries made on a Saturday if you pay a premium.. Which means my package posted on a Thursday can arrive on a Saturday.. This makes even less sense to me

Would it not make sense to continue to use the routes as Normal? I'm the sense I might not get it Saturday but it could be a lot closer? Because it seems they only look after saturday stuff? Strange buissness model in my opinion..

So if your impatient like me (and I assume I am not alone) when waiting by the door, checking the curtain wondering why it's not there.. It's because they probably are not coming.. Grab your jacket, and handful of pellets and go take it out on some cans.. Please add your own favourite expletive to this..

ATB a slightly miffed, Ade ?

• Like 1

Hello guys,

So I felt I needed to add a little to this.. I may have different experiences but never post parcel 48 on a Thursday.. It seems for some reason they shut down if you post Thursday you receive Tuesday..

Now two working days (the 48 promised in the name.. Parcelforce48) to me, and correct me if I am wrong.. Is Monday?!?

So this makes me wonder.. What do they do on Saturdays? Because there are deliveries made on a Saturday if you pay a premium.. Which means my package posted on a Thursday can arrive on a Saturday.. This makes even less sense to me

Would it not make sense to continue to use the routes as Normal? I'm the sense I might not get it Saturday but it could be a lot closer? Because it seems they only look after saturday stuff? Strange buissness model in my opinion..

So if your impatient like me (and I assume I am not alone) when waiting by the door, checking the curtain wondering why it's not there.. It's because they probably are not coming.. Grab your jacket, and handful of pellets and go take it out on some cans.. Please add your own favourite expletive to this..

ATB a slightly miffed, Ade

You tried the tracking number pal? Should give you some idea where it's at? Must admit I read some of this thread on my lunch and started to feel a bit worried that it would go AWOL

No it's all good mate, I rang em.. This happened to me last week but the other way round.. I am in no hurry to receive it and it's still there they just never bothered collecting it as it won't move till Monday.. I think it's bad form on their behalf, they don't even bother with it !! And they won't do anything for Ya if you ask them just throw there hands up and say.. Meh?!? Bit of a rant sorry haha