Worming Pheasants

Guest redeye

Every yr I get about 150 pheasants for hawking. This yr a new supplier suggested that I worm them with Panacur sheep wormer due to the wet weather.

Apparently just pour some into the water butt that feeds the drinkers so it goes a milky white colour.

Never heard of this before......any thoughts welcome

Guest redeye
thats a new one to me mate and i would check that the birds dont have access to any other water source otherwize you will be waisting money on meds that the birds wont take

cheers rick,

there would be no access to other water as they are in netted pens till they are about 11weeks or so.

thats a new one to me mate and i would check that the birds dont have access to any other water source otherwize you will be waisting money on meds that the birds wont take

cheers rick,

there would be no access to other water as they are in netted pens till they are about 11weeks or so.

i have a freind who is a game farmer, i'll ask if he's come across this before :hmm:

You can use panacur for pheasants it's the b*llocks. I think it's illegal although im not 100% sure. Joe :D

never youse,d it in the water but used it with the food if your feeding pellets you can buy it ready mixed in its called flubanvet panacur does work very well thou

I used it last year,works fine, i think i put about 20-25ml in a 25l water drinker,left it 2-3 days making sure they can only get water from there.

Are the birds snicking/gaping? If not i would'nt bother,we had some of the worst of the wet weather round here and ive not had any trouble with gapes upto now.

It does work well but get the panicur with the blue label the purple labelled stuff is toxic to pheasants, it is not approved for gamebirds. The generally used worm is Flubenazole (Flubenvet) Oxfenbendazole is what is used for sheep and cattle it is the same stuff but a third of the price.

works well, but my vet gave me some yellow liquid sheep wormer this year,not sure of name, app panacure dosnt do all forms of worms that a pheashant can have.. but iv personally have had no probs using it in the past.... 1 ml to a litre :victory:

Guest redeye
works well, but my vet gave me some yellow liquid sheep wormer this year,not sure of name, app panacure dosnt do all forms of worms that a pheashant can have.. but iv personally have had no probs using it in the past.... 1 ml to a litre :victory:

cheers guys,

asked at the local merchants for some, not allowed to sell it for gamebirds only sheep so next time i am in need to get some for the sheep :) . No sign of problems yet but will have it on standby!

Hello used to use panacure all the time but in feed give them 1-3rd of the usal feed in the morning with the panacure they give them there normal feed.As alimac say's it dosent kill all the worm's needed same in dog's so it's not the best but dose.

Every yr I get about 150 pheasants for hawking. This yr a new supplier suggested that I worm them with Panacur sheep wormer due to the wet weather.

Apparently just pour some into the water butt that feeds the drinkers so it goes a milky white colour.

Never heard of this before......any thoughts welcome

i use flubenvet to worm my birds dose nearly all the worms including gape worm. can buy it in feed already or get what they call a keepers pack. can get it from most keepering suppliers