Problems with Disco

Have a Disco 1995 used off road daily as well as on road and its poorly.

Shuddering and lots of vibration at 30 & 50mph. Loud creaking/knocking noise if i decelerate except when i depress the clutch. Have looked at prop shaft and wheels but seems to be ok there. Partner will look at Saturday but just wondered if anyone here would have any ideas just so i can impress him with my landy knowledge :laugh:

Guest curtislj

Sounds like the UJ's on the prop. The only way you can check them properly is with the hand brake off and see how much movement there is.There shouldn,t be any! And it'll most likely be the front as they always seem to wear out.Ive just done mine.Its not an expensive job (around £6-£8 each), as long as the yokes arent damaged from the vibration. You can find plenty of ujs on ebay. If it is the the UJs, you can take the prop off, put the diff lock in and keep driving as long as you go steady, but they wont take more than an hour to replace both .Good luck:D

You guys sure know your stuff! Thanks for the advice will follow it. Didnt check it as advised so will again properly. Sounds like it is the prop uj's then. Going to sound real professional when i tell himself what the problem is. Got plenty spare parts in the shed hope the right ones are there. Thanks again.

Have a look at the prop shaft centre bearing .

If you look under the car the prop shaft will run through a big bearing that is attatched to the underside .

I f you wobble the prop shaft and there is any movement on the bearing this could be your problem

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hunter daz
Have a Disco 1995 used off road daily as well as on road and its poorly.

Shuddering and lots of vibration at 30 & 50mph. Loud creaking/knocking noise if i decelerate except when i depress the clutch. Have looked at prop shaft and wheels but seems to be ok there. Partner will look at Saturday but just wondered if anyone here would have any ideas just so i can impress him with my landy knowledge :laugh:

hi there it sound like a problem with the diff and prop shaft to me that what went on mne and its sounds the same i would have a look at them first mate

from hunter daz