Fair Price To Pay.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if they are reputable breeders they wont be knocked down. Your buying potential I never quibble on price its a one off capital investment on up to 10 years of a working friendship and sporting compani

just Go and get a pup and get on with it. Unless your a very serious shooter or trialler it wont matter just bond with the pup and take your time training it. Just don't start it until you know its re

Because they're fashionable and Kate Middleton (that was) has got one.

got to agree with shamo ftch means nothing and is ruining springers there like whippets some of em when it comes t adraw on points fastest dog will win buy one from 2 good strong workers dog will still have t be mad regardless of cost or breeding

got to agree with shamo ftch means nothing and is ruining springers there like whippets some of em when it comes t adraw on points fastest dog will win buy one from 2 good strong workers dog will still have t be mad regardless of cost or breeding

To an extent I agree with you but to say ftch means nothing is not strictly true. Yes some breeds are getting racier and speed is a consideration, but the dogs still have to be biddable and have a nose and do the job required to compete never mind win a trial.

Went to the local pet shop last week and saw a advert in the window for working cooker pups. Ask the lass who owns the shop about the pups and she said that the woman who selling the pups was taking "sensible offers" it turns out that she had her bitch put to a stud dog and the owner of said stud dog told her that she should get the bitch in pup straight away as it will be good for the dog. So the silly moo has got the bitch in pup straight away. She is now struggling to get rid of 3 cocker pups before the bitch whelps again. Talk about breeding for the sake of it. If anyone is interested then pm me and I will get the details . They being sold as working cockers but that is all I know.

Went to the local etc shop .last week and saw a advert in the window for working cooker pups. Ask the lass who owns the shop about the pups and she said that the woman who selling the pups was taking "sensible offers" it turns out that she had her bitch put o a stud dog and the owner of said stud dog told her that she should get the bitch in pup straight away as it will be good for the dog. So the silly moo has got the bitch in pup straight away. She is now struggling to get rid of 3 cocker pups before the bitch whelps again. Talk about breeding for the sake of it. If anyone is interested then pm me and I will get the details . They being sold as working cockers but that is all I know.

And here lies the main problem with people breeding dogs purely for money......

theres the word compete dog should be bred to work not compete its in them to hunt and retrieve why make em faster at it steady is the name of the game seen loads of these flyers burrn by diner never mind 3 days a week hunt retrieve obay nothing else needed

theres the word compete dog should be bred to work not compete its in them to hunt and retrieve why make em faster at it steady is the name of the game seen loads of these flyers burrn by diner never mind 3 days a week hunt retrieve obay nothing else needed

That's your opinion mate and it could be argued hunting is competing.

I'd also add most people with a gundog bitch they intended to breed would use a ftch stud if they had the opportunity.

of course they would money

you get what you pay for I don't think giving pups away for free gets them the best owners cos if they didn't lay out any money on the pup some people will just get rid of the dog if they fail to train it. That's how some folks are wired .But if you have paid a few bob for a pup at least its a commitment and an incentive to keep the dog and try your best to get a working dog/ partner for you money P.S. got to say that I am bias as I do have pups for sale then again this is my third litter in 35 years of keeping dogs and if you take the hours spent looking after a litter plus stud and vet bills reg fees adds worming puppy food etc then it aint all profit is it.

I'm in the market for a pup at the moment.

Now,

I don't mind paying a 'fair' price for the right dog. But,

I would just as happily home a less 'fancy' dog at the 'right' price.

What really gets on my wick, is your Joe Average from the housing estate along the road asking serious money for what can be little more than 'accidents' when his dog got in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I fully understand and appreciate that for the genuine guy he has expenses to consider.

Which brings us back to the Original Question.....What is a Fair Price to pay?

Average Mutt...£?

From 'Good Lines'....£?

Astounding All Singing All Dancing Hound...£?

I am genuinely curious, cos like I say, I'm on the look out for one just now, and there is some variation.

I'm in the market for a pup at the moment.

Now,

I don't mind paying a 'fair' price for the right dog. But,

I would just as happily home a less 'fancy' dog at the 'right' price.

What really gets on my wick, is your Joe Average from the housing estate along the road asking serious money for what can be little more than 'accidents' when his dog got in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I fully understand and appreciate that for the genuine guy he has expenses to consider.

Which brings us back to the Original Question.....What is a Fair Price to pay?

Average Mutt...£?

From 'Good Lines'....£?

Astounding All Singing All Dancing Hound...£?

I am genuinely curious, cos like I say, I'm on the look out for one just now, and there is some variation.

Its not just expense its risk you think you have a good bitch so you line it doesn't take so you get another go still no pups stud fee lost worst thing the bitch dies from complications due to being pregnant then all the other problems that could happen to bitch or pups. AS FOR PRICE WELL ITS GOVERNED BY WHAT'S IN FASHION FOR THE HIGH END PRICES then you'v got workers or good lines again you can only charge what you think( my case genuine gundog) owners are prepared to pay then the others crosses and the like to me if you have to pay say £100 then it stops you from owning a dog on a whim.

I for one make no claim to know anything about them.

I'm just looking for my 1st ever dog.

Hoping I can get it to do what I want / need.

:thumbs:

Interesting to hear other peoples take on it all.

It is a pleasure to see some of the good dogs in action.

Not expecting any miracles with my attempts, but I'll be giving it my best go. It'll be an education for me as much as the pup.