Fair Price To Pay.....

Never owned a cocker, always used jack russels to bush with, but in the future I may be tempted with one ( in a year or two). Just curious what is a fair price to pay for one. I would hope to get a one via word of mouth etc, but I just had a quick look on preloved, as you do, and working cockers were between £650 - £800...... I was gob smacked.......so what is a fair price to pay?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if they are reputable breeders they wont be knocked down. Your buying potential I never quibble on price its a one off capital investment on up to 10 years of a working friendship and sporting compani

just Go and get a pup and get on with it. Unless your a very serious shooter or trialler it wont matter just bond with the pup and take your time training it. Just don't start it until you know its re

Because they're fashionable and Kate Middleton (that was) has got one.

if they are reputable breeders they wont be knocked down. Your buying potential I never quibble on price its a one off capital investment on up to 10 years of a working friendship and sporting companionship. Its only money!

• Like 3

I've a cocker bitch coming next week, FTCHxFTCH and I'm paying £350 and that's a friend doing me a massive favour.

A well bred cocker will usually set you back £500 to £600.

That is a massive favour, which ftch's are they?

Can't tell you off hand mate, picking her up midweek and I'll have the names from her pedigree.

I've a cocker bitch coming next week, FTCHxFTCH and I'm paying £350 and that's a friend doing me a massive favour.

That is a massive favour, which ftch's are they?

Can't tell you off hand mate, picking her up midweek and I'll have the names from her pedigree.

That means you are getting a pup from Parents who can only work for 20 minutes or so at a time and in between destroy their Feed Pans and Beds.......lol. A bit Tongue in Cheek, but not overly impressed with FTCh this and FTCh that.

Te prices of gun dogs vary and are at times crazy. A lot of it is purely to do with the fact that the sport is rather 'moneyd'. However, I do agree with paying for the right blood etc, at the end of the day quality costs money. However, some of the prices for what you are getting is just a joke. When buying a gun dog I would want not only top breeding, but also two parents, and grand parents etc, who are actually quality in the field, not just on paper. I have seen plenty of dgs around the 600-800 mark that, whilst their peds do look half decent, have just the same old names that a shit ton of dogs do, and they themselves are just average. If you are looking at those dogs, they are probably not worth it in reality, and i'd just go for a back yard bred pup for 250-350. However, my old man picked up a very well bred cocker pup, out of two very good working dogs, this year, for 500-550 (i forget which), from a well known (and well respected) breeder. The litter were all booked before born, but so was a litter up the road out of two average dogs, for 700 a pup . . . . . So its worth looking about. I have to say that my old man is VERY pleased with his wee dog.

As for those knocking field trial dogs. . . . . I always wonder how many good ones they have really seen? There always seems to be the idea that trial dogs can work quick, but only for a very short period of time. Now, my old man used to trial to a pretty decent level. . . . and had some friends that did so to a really high standard. And all of those dogs not only won field trials, but also beat, and worked under the gun when rough shooting, to a very good standard. Maybe trialers are not like this so much now...... I don't know. . . .