Rabbiting Dogs

• 10 months later...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres mine not one over 21tts thats all use them for mooching and a we bit lamping mostly ferreting

Posted Images

Not trying to wind anyone  up ,but what makes a rabbit dog, a rabbit dog (other than the fact they catch rabbits)

Where do you draw the line between a rabbiting dog and a regular lurcher. Is it size ? I'd have thought a lurcher is a rabbit dog regardless of size , and maybe it's the owner that chooses what game to run it on ?

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, roybo said:

Not trying to wind anyone  up ,but what makes a rabbit dog, a rabbit dog (other than the fact they catch rabbits)

Where do you draw the line between a rabbiting dog and a regular lurcher. Is it size ? I'd have thought a lurcher is a rabbit dog regardless of size , and maybe it's the owner that chooses what game to run it on ?

fair point , i say me self  , 1st  if possible  one from  22-25in , deff with good coat , because if it stuck out standing about in real rough cold morning  ferritin    , or  really pissing down when out lamping , a good coat is deff needed . i say dogs with drop of collie or beddie in the x  will  help as these breeds make great mooching dogs  good at marking  for rabbits and birds ,Bryn my 1x collie x grey  is brill in the day and not bad in the lamp, he old now 10, but he been top rabbiting dog in his day  fair few have seen him work over the years :yes: . but  even though i started out with just a rabbit dog, i really like a dog to do other  quarry as well ,  and my big dog can, and still knock over good bag of rabbits, try and get bit of allrounder  in my mind , dont box your self in to corner with just a rabbit dog. you never know maybe one day this feckin ban might be lifted  we all can  live in hope , but out and rabbit dog , what i say n the above ,:yes: 

• Like 2

Size does help in my opinion, obviously rabbits are short sharp sprinters so a dog must be able to match the quarry by being nimble or having abit of wit about them , there are always exceptions to a rule but I would say in lamping terms a dog capable of many fast and shorter runs with a good solid retrieve. Day time rabbit dogs need the nose and attention span more so than others.   

• Like 2

Very good on a rabbit if she gets a bend or two there usaly dead even better round cover bitch will gear up around cover lively to watch only thing I can knock her on I don’t no if it’s the collie or what but she doesn’t fly down the beam anymore just seems to trickle down at like 50% then gear up if she can’t take from the seat or bunnie or what ever gets up but some times if a long slip it goes against her 

ps dident kill them all in the pic next to the van but a good % If then 

A7B4CA9D-1EDE-4FAA-973B-38DCEABB2832.jpeg

8BFE70C6-B93F-42B5-A5D3-B48335A33615.jpeg

009C9FC4-9B13-4CBC-84BE-973BA4E12682.jpeg

E5003A07-D59C-4250-A3CD-22DCB4F1DA03.jpeg

Couldn’t have said it better mate, seen brilliant whippety dogs run on rabbits and also good bull crosses match them, but a small rabbiting dog won’t get stuck in to the big gear all night like the bull crosses will, not saying they won’t, and pre ban ?I’ve seen Bedo whippets get stuck into some right gear, but I’ve also seen em doubled up with a big bull cross swinging a big dog fox round with the Bedo/whippet attached ?, rabbit dog, in my eyes is dog that’s capable of the job in hand ??. 

great thread lads. keep it going.

i know a good dog is one who catches game, regardless of its breeding.

but if it came down to a choice of a coille grey whippet, or a coille grey beddy, which would some of you pick and why.

atb j

4 hours ago, bird said:

fair point , i say me self  , 1st  if possible  one from  22-25in , deff with good coat , because if it stuck out standing about in real rough cold morning  ferritin    , or  really pissing down when out lamping , a good coat is deff needed . i say dogs with drop of collie or beddie in the x  will  help as these breeds make great mooching dogs  good at marking  for rabbits and birds ,Bryn my 1x collie x grey  is brill in the day and not bad in the lamp, he old now 10, but he been top rabbiting dog in his day  fair few have seen him work over the years :yes: . but  even though i started out with just a rabbit dog, i really like a dog to do other  quarry as well ,  and my big dog can, and still knock over good bag of rabbits, try and get bit of allrounder  in my mind , dont box your self in to corner with just a rabbit dog. you never know maybe one day this feckin ban might be lifted  we all can  live in hope , but out and rabbit dog , what i say n the above ,:yes: 

Bird very true I liked the bit about boxing your self in a corner I think a lot of lads have started to box there selfs in corners lately An restricting there selfs but with this vhd virus working its way across the uk there be a lot of out an out rabbit dogs struggling for work