Old Type English Bulls?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes jak i know exectly where they are , he s a good mate of mine and theres no plans to breed for a few years but there are some young dogs in his yard yet to be tested , earlier in the year two of th

Just wondered if anyone is breeding the old type English bulls? Not the short, rounded nose, fat things people breed today. I remember a bloke had some a few years ago on here. This pic is off google

Sounds a nightmare. Dogs should evolve for purpose not fashion.

Posted Images

They are a canny looking pair of ebt, but they are the modern type as far as i can see just they are leaner due i guess to training?. i had bull breeds for 30 yrs with good ebt for alot of that time & most of them were no good at working at all. but i bred a good dog to a bitch which had the crufts champ from 1972 in the ped,( which came from canny stock i believe) the bitch threw a bitch pup which was a throw back for sure, She was a small wirey thing which was cracking in the field but hard to keep any weight on & as such had to be worked only once a week, You guys know the type so lean that after a hard day they are a bag of bones, this was partly due to her being hyper i think. she had a bite that was v quick & went deep. i regret that i never did breed her as there were other flaws & i was then not as learned on the breeding of dog as I became...O to have her again, I would have had a canny line going i think.

I would love to have more info on the new strain or should I say old strain that is being created in wales, but somewhere down there line there must be a dilution of great blood from whatever breed & this will be hard to rectify,

Look forward to any follow up here ta

• Like 1

So you bred two show dog's,produced a constatutionaly and mentaly weak pup you admit you couldn't use more than once a wk and now you wish you had her to breed and create a line from,interesting. Me personally,I'd call that a cull but hay ho. Now to top it off you then admit you run two dog's on roe. (Lurcher section: preban deer. )Very sporting of you. All we need now are a few more tale's of how people know a man who had an uncle who's best friend's cousin had a bull terrier and it was thick ,slow and nasty and we'll be getting somewere. A.T.B.

• Like 1

Hunter not at all, two show dogs where does it say that.?, Breed a good dog (not show ) to a bitch which this was in the 70s when they were not the same as now, Also state the bitch was cracking in the field!. the reason she could only be worked once a week as stated was that she lost a cple of lbs during that once a wk session & was imo to lean, ie this would lead to dehydration if worked hard again which can kill!, Better to work once a week at 100% than twice at 50%, & she was not our only working dog. & as for a cull??? The line would have been to working terrier, poss patt, & not back to EBT,

RE running two dogs on roe hell yer done that many of times. many things are not done with sport in mind & many things are also illegal but still enjoyed. ATB

Edited by workingtat

I thought the English were head strong and far less intelligent than the stafford/pit dogs. Ive read Hinks leaned more toward the show ring and pet than actual work. I know some were good in the trials and the famous Psyco had Ebt in his blood,but Im not sure how useful they would be in the pure form to a Hunting man. When the Ingles thing was going strong and those dogs were seen here and there I tried but failed to get a straight answer regarding working qualities. One thing you cant deny is they certainly got the conformation better.

Over the last 30 years Ive had several bull breeds,and found them all to be reasonably intelligent(particularly staffies)never owned an EBT but a few of my mates have,Ive got to say they were the stupidest animals I have come across,not saying they are all thick but the three I spent a lot of time around were,put me off ever having one.... :thumbs:

Alot of the cork bred working terriers have working ebt in them. Them boys swear by it ahead of the staff ive seen lots of their dogs working and theres nothing stupid about them. Top digging dogs