Foxes Or Rather A Lack Of Them

As above i ran dogs for years but i think it is better to shoot Foxes where they need to be controlled than it is to run Dogs on them.With the Rifle Death is instant if your up to the job they don't even hear the bang,with a dog or some times 2 dogs a Fox gets coursed ,chased .and worried for several minutes only to be snatched up and shaken to death.As with the Rifle or Dogs above or below ground some Foxes do go away wounded or in the case of a coursed and get away Fox scared for quite a while. :yes:

a fox that has been coursed and gets away is very wary from then on and hard to course again but iv yet to see a fox get away from dogs wounded above or below ground.

Yes in the same way that a fox that has been shot at in the lamp beam and missed is a very wary fox and will usually run at the first sign of a lamp, that said I have yet to see a fox get away after its just caught a 80 grain soft point in the chest.

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its because all the shooters have been out shooting the cubs so theres non left for you

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhuman

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an ea

Posted Images

I really fail to understand the view of some dog men that the hunting of fox and hare is the sole ownership of the lurched/terrier men.

You hardly ever see a rifleman say quarry shouldn't be hunted with dogs but it seems to be a common opinion from other quarters.

As long as the animal has minimal suffering and is shown respect surely that is what matters the most. In my opinion of the two, a fox shot with a rifle knows nothing about its demise and I feel is the cleanest method of fox control.

• Like 2

I think things have changed and we have moved on, to protect our sport dogs need to be dropped from hunting all together. gun dogs still have a place but terriers and lurchers need to go by the way side. IMO

Your shit at this.... Your needing a few lessons aff the Baw...;-)

its my opinion. you should read back some of the previous posts, they basicly state how cruel hunting with dogs is. I didnt like fox hunting, i dont like stag hunting i hate hare coarsing and i hate setting lurchers on foxes, i think they are all cruel, but i wouldnt dream of standing against them as i know the doggy boys wouldnt stand against shooting. but that my opinion. and what the f**k is aff the baw ?? you need some lessons in basic english!!!!

As above i ran dogs for years but i think it is better to shoot Foxes where they need to be controlled than it is to run Dogs on them.With the Rifle Death is instant if your up to the job they don't even hear the bang,with a dog or some times 2 dogs a Fox gets coursed ,chased .and worried for several minutes only to be snatched up and shaken to death.As with the Rifle or Dogs above or below ground some Foxes do go away wounded or in the case of a coursed and get away Fox scared for quite a while. :yes:

a fox that has been coursed and gets away is very wary from then on and hard to course again but iv yet to see a fox get away from dogs wounded above or below ground.

Yes in the same way that a fox that has been shot at in the lamp beam and missed is a very wary fox and will usually run at the first sign of a lamp, that said I have yet to see a fox get away after its just caught a 80 grain soft point in the chest.

I really fail to understand the view of some dog men that the hunting of fox and hare is the sole ownership of the lurched/terrier men.

You hardly ever see a rifleman say quarry shouldn't be hunted with dogs but it seems to be a common opinion from other quarters.

As long as the animal has minimal suffering and is shown respect surely that is what matters the most. In my opinion of the two, a fox shot with a rifle knows nothing about its demise and I feel is the cleanest method of fox control.

Then my friend you aint done enough with dogs, i've seen Foxes throw 3 feet in the air by dogs as they have been at snatched while coursing only to see the Fox escape into brambles or a deep ditch, and terriers come from an earth with face bleeding and no Fox retrieved and it's been to deep to dig don't tell me the trained terrier is still baying at a dead Fox.

@ Charlie caller haha :yes: iv yet to see 1 get away from my .22 wmr 30gr v-max to.

@ the seeker I shoot fox as well as use dogs but when it comes to hare I would only use a dog. im not saying nobody should shoot them I just love watching a reel good race and sometimes I even like to see the hare get away.

@ the stalker im not trying to start anything but when my dogs catch a fox they don't let go. and when it comes to ground work I would never but a terrier to an earth that was to deep to dig there's a few earths around here that haven't been dug in 20+ years because everyone knows to stay away.

I think things have changed and we have moved on, to protect our sport dogs need to be dropped from hunting all together. gun dogs still have a place but terriers and lurchers need to go by the way side. IMO

so you would like to do away with true working type dogs? dogs that have helped people hunt for food and control unwanted pests for thousands of years. dogs and people have had a relationship since people started using wolfs for hunting. hunting dogs are mans real best friend and represent thousands of years of tradition and you would get rid of them just like that. THATS WRONG.

Then my friend you aint done enough with dogs, i've seen Foxes throw 3 feet in the air by dogs as they have been at snatched while coursing only to see the Fox escape into brambles or a deep ditch, and terriers come from an earth with face bleeding and no Fox retrieved and it's been to deep to dig don't tell me the trained terrier is still baying at a dead Fox.

@ Charlie caller haha :yes: iv yet to see 1 get away from my .22 wmr 30gr v-max to.

@ the seeker I shoot fox as well as use dogs but when it comes to hare I would only use a dog. im not saying nobody should shoot them I just love watching a reel good race and sometimes I even like to see the hare get away.

@ the stalker im not trying to start anything but when my dogs catch a fox they don't let go. and when it comes to ground work I would never but a terrier to an earth that was to deep to dig there's a few earths around here that haven't been dug in 20+ years because everyone knows to stay away.

But the use of a sight hound or any other dog for coursing a Fox is just scaring and worrying it for the sake of it if it gets away,if your dogs done it to other farm Animals they could be shot on sight!!!

yes they could be shot on sight and if they do any damage to farm animals they should be. all dogs should be stock trained I know my 5 are.

so you would like to do away with true working type dogs? dogs that have helped people hunt for food and control unwanted pests for thousands of years. dogs and people have had a relationship since people started using wolfs for hunting. hunting dogs are mans real best friend and represent thousands of years of tradition and you would get rid of them just like that. THATS WRONG.
Its tradition in NI for the marching bands to give catholics the finger every year, tradition is not the be all and end all , I dont like anything that is cruel, tradition or not.

But now we have a really good invention for vermin control it's call the gun,and i know people used dogs for controlling vermin and for filling the pot But Fox who the hell eats Fox ?After reading all the comments on dog work in this post i have come to think dogs should be banned all together for hunting animals, and all the remarks about shooting has made me sit back and think, i now think that shooting should only be carried out on targets such as clays and paper as it is so Cruel to shoot live animals and birds, so i'm off to join a club. :rolleyes:

good luck with that I look forward to reading I of your posts about how you stalked that target ;)

Its tradition in NI for the marching bands to give catholics the finger every year, tradition is not the be all and end all , I dont like anything that is cruel, tradition or not.

you could say its cruel to take a life any life so why don't you hang up your gun and stop talking rubbish.

lmfao. thats just not right. surely you can find a better comparison. one that is sensible ffs

its my opinion. you should read back some of the previous posts, they basicly state how cruel hunting with dogs is. I didnt like fox hunting, i dont like stag hunting i hate hare coarsing and i hate setting lurchers on foxes, i think they are all cruel, but i wouldnt dream of standing against them as i know the doggy boys wouldnt stand against shooting. but that my opinion. and what the f**k is aff the baw ?? you need some lessons in basic english!!!!

you would be wise not to stand against them. and you would be even wiser to throw your weight behind ALL. fieldsports. united we stand divided we fall.

i have been hunting with guns and rifles many times. with serious and competent shooters. as well as your average lads that do a bit at weekends and i can assure you that the cruelty issue is no different .with either dog or rifle. the man behind the gun or dog. is the difference between cruelty and humane. your comments are nothing short of disgracefull .

i could regale you with horrible tales of foolish shooter/ over eager shooters/ and over confident shooters. and the resultant cruelty. but hey this isnt the place. and your post shows you already stand against dog lads. :yes: when you need support i guarantee the dog lads will be there in numbers as per usual. :censored:

• Like 4

you could say its cruel to take a life any life so why don't you hang up your gun and stop talking rubbish.

Taking a life may be looked at as cruel, but shooting stone dead is not the same as chasing it till it runs out of stamina until it slows enough for the dog to pick it up.I have in the past coursed Hares and had them run under hedge parings to hide and the dog has lost them but on looking at the Hare it has died of fright, and that on more that one occasion .

do you actually think folk are that daft that they dont know that shooting something isnt allways instant. and can often result in a long lingering painfull death. ffs. you guys need to get off your moral high ground. do folk need to start tit for tat examples like you have. i could do the same and worse with shooting ;) .

• Like 1

There is no reason to chase animals all over the country side in order to kill them, those days should have gone along with the black death and polio. Your out of date and out of touch with what is legal and acceptable to todays society.