Foxes Or Rather A Lack Of Them

I have been out this evening on the fallow , sitting in a seat I've seen four foxes , none of which got shot ,two weeks ago we went out with the intention of shooting Charlie but see none , the only thing different from last time .... 800 pheasant poults ,.......with the four I see & three he killed last week there doesn't seem to be a shortage round his place .....

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its because all the shooters have been out shooting the cubs so theres non left for you

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhuman

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an ea

Posted Images

I have been out this evening on the fallow , sitting in a seat I've seen four foxes , none of which got shot ,two weeks ago we went out with the intention of shooting Charlie but see none , the only thing different from last time .... 800 pheasant poults ,.......with the four I see & three he killed last week there doesn't seem to be a shortage round his place .....

Sure it was Foxes Rich?? :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Oh Sh.t ive not mixed them up again , sorry never see foxes they were stoats .......... :yes::yes: ..........i did identify a pricket correctly though .....

please tell us more rimmer.

I have seen many a fox walk right past a number of still rabbits in a field with night vision where the fox literally walks two feet away from one or two of the crouched bunnys with no change in the fox's walking pattern.

I think it is near impossible to eradicate foxs. they are born survivors.

Have you ever tried to catch a rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Sick or wounded animals are far easier to catch, foxes like anyother wild animal have to wiegh up the pros and cons effort v reward. I know thats a very simple way to put it but its the quickest way i can think of. I am not saying they dont take healthy rabbits cos i know they do i have seen it, but a healthy rabbit it not a large part of a foxes diet, they mainly eat worms, frogs,grubs and stuff like that and of coarse chickens but healthy rabbits are a bit of a challenge.

Can you imagine the look on the cubs faces when mum or dad shows up at the earth with yet another worm or grub or diseased rabbit ? I have watched foxes catch perfectly healthy rabbits with absolute ease , an experienced adult fox is a supreme hunter . Cubs need protien and plenty of it and that comes in the form of fur or feather . If there is a shortage of either , litters will fail !!!! Tell me Rimmer the last time you saw a vixen return to her cubs what was in her mouth ? I bet it was a rabbit !!!

• Like 1

I have seen many a fox walk right past a number of still rabbits in a field with night vision where the fox literally walks two feet away from one or two of the crouched bunnys with no change in the fox's walking pattern.

Sick or wounded animals are far easier to catch, foxes like anyother wild animal have to wiegh up the pros and cons effort v reward. I know thats a very simple way to put it but its the quickest way i can think of. I am not saying they dont take healthy rabbits cos i know they do i have seen it, but a healthy rabbit it not a large part of a foxes diet, they mainly eat worms, frogs,grubs and stuff like that and of coarse chickens but healthy rabbits are a bit of a challenge.

Can you imagine the look on the cubs faces when mum or dad shows up at the earth with yet another worm or grub or diseased rabbit ? I have watched foxes catch perfectly healthy rabbits with absolute ease , an experienced adult fox is a supreme hunter . Cubs need protien and plenty of it and that comes in the form of fur or feather . If there is a shortage of either , litters will fail !!!! Tell me Rimmer the last time you saw a vixen return to her cubs what was in her mouth ? I bet it was a rabbit !!!

"The best available research indicates 95% of an average rural fox’s diet consists of meat, both hunted and scavenged, and mainly rabbits, rats, birds and small mammals. Insects and worms may constitute another 4% and the remaining 1% may consist of fruit."

above taken off the fox project website.

• Like 1

Well I am afraid that not everyone understands it that way,some people seem to think shooting a fox is some kind of sin punishable by summary execution,only a dog may harm a hair on his noble head,I completely agree that all animals should be left to breed and I certainly don't shoot any until the cubs are fending for themselves, for fear of shooting a vixen with cubs at milk,of course nobody wants to see an end to the fox, least of all me,and I wish the hunting ban could be repealed tomorrow,and as for lurchers well I love them and I can say hand on heart that I can train to a very high standard, far removed from the man who just wants to slip his dog on a hare, but I am afraid that your average chav with a bullx ect does not give two hoots about conservation, so perhaps contemporary dog lads should look to their own house before slating shooting sometimes (and before anyone gets upset I am not in any way pointing the finger at any member of this site, just an observation)

i think some of your posts are designed to cause friction. ive seen some very highly trained bull cross hounds. as for your average chav they dont enter the equasion. so why mention them. ive seen some shooters that would make your average bull x owning chav look good. but they allso would be the exeption rather than the rule.

you come across as a smart arse to me. and looking down your nose at some folk. :thumbs: .

Ok mate one thing at a time, firstly I have seen some very good bull x as well and was in no way picking on them, I may have well said Beddy cross, or Saluki cross, agreed as well on the shooters as with all things you get good and bad, if people take my posts as being designed to cause friction, then that is down to their perception of things and I think it is sometimes very hard to get across what you mean by typing on a keyboard, as apposed to speaking in person, would you agree? If being relatively articulate and possessing a modicum of intelligence makes me a smart arse, able to debate without resorting to little sneid comments or as in the case of another guy an abusive pm then so be it but that is your problem not mine, emotive subjects being debated will always raise hackles, but is that not the intention of debate? and as for looking down my nose at folk well all I can say is LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.

Oh and Jeemes just for you I wont edit my post, hope that soothes you.

just checked my post no snide comments from what i can see. :thumbs: no nasty pm. :thumbs: . as your so articulate and intelligent. you will understand that i am speaking to a little square screen so

i can only say how i feel you come across. you may be a nice chap. in fact i'm sure you are :yes: . i do have a dislike for smart arse shooters taking the moral high ground. over other forms of control. now i'm out of here before you make mincemeat out of me with your long words. :D

Ok fairplay to you that was quite amusing :thumbs: I am sorry if you got the wrong idea, I never suggested that you sent me a nasty pm, that was another idiot without the balls even to say what he thinks in public, so what does that say about him? and I think that if we went out for a beer instead of talking to a little square screen we would get on quite well mate,and Im no smartarsed shooter having a pop at other forms of control, I have done most of them and love them all, cheers good health :thumbs:

obviously with me sending you that pm got under your skin and it was not abusive i just said you where full of shit you sent me one back it was just like water off a ducks back so you decided to tell tales and put whatever you were saying on here in my eyes you are a bullshitter you are a tell tale i think you are not to be ? got big balls :boogy::bye:

Well well well the dullard has grown a pair at last, yes I did send you one back but what you have failed to mention, is that my reply was not abusive I simply said I would not play pm tennis with you and if you have something to say why not do it in public, as others have, anyway now that you have crawled out from whatever little hovel you inhabit, I will just say this, if I valued your opinion you silly insignificant little man I would ask you to explain your garbled post as it appears that a three year old has written it,however I don't so jog on sonny :bye:

look at the pictures daily of dead foxes placed infront of a nice shiny rifle...and you may have your answer!!! sure...lurchers and terriers account for some...but the new trend with the gun boys is to brag about how far away they can shoot a fox....

Too many getting shot sad to see
  • Like 1

"The best available research indicates 95% of an average rural fox’s diet consists of meat, both hunted and scavenged, and mainly rabbits, rats, birds and small mammals. Insects and worms may constitute another 4% and the remaining 1% may consist of fruit."

pish and bollocks i am afraid. take it from bristol universitys 4 year study.

Edited by rimmer

"The best available research indicates 95% of an average rural foxs diet consists of meat, both hunted and scavenged, and mainly rabbits, rats, birds and small mammals. Insects and worms may constitute another 4% and the remaining 1% may consist of fruit."

So what do they eat then???

"The best available research indicates 95% of an average rural foxs diet consists of meat, both hunted and scavenged, and mainly rabbits, rats, birds and small mammals. Insects and worms may constitute another 4% and the remaining 1% may consist of fruit."

Grass ya daft c**t :laugh:

Some serious shite spouted on this thread.

• Like 2

Grass ya daft c**t :laugh:

Some serious shite spouted on this thread.

Lol... Must be!!!! I've had them trying to dig into the poults.....Best of grass in there surely, must be all the pheasant shit!!!.:-)
  • Like 2