Foxes Or Rather A Lack Of Them

when i shoot a fox its for the kill but when I go out with the dogs its for more than the kill its for the chase and the dogs working ability. the dog doesn't catch every fox its not that easy you have to call the fox in close enough for the dog to chase then he has to try catch him. foxes are fast and they can turn on a penny in full sprint plus the fox knows every inch of his territory and knows were to get away. with dogs its about more than the kill. you don't have to teach a working dog to work he'll just work whether its fox, rabbit, boar, haire or what ever. how do you think food was caught and pests were controlled in rural Ireland and Brittan before guns were so readily available. you said you never tried it well don't knock it till you try it.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its because all the shooters have been out shooting the cubs so theres non left for you

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhuman

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an ea

Posted Images

Dog's/ Gun's/ Snare's/net's/Traps/Hounds/Terriers,/driven shooting,/wild fowling,/stalking/Hawking They are all means to an end,each one humane in its own right and in the right hands,each one inhumane in the wrong hands,we all prefer different methods, and have our own strengths and weakness's when using them,there are also opportunities within each method for each of us to learn and develop,that's what makes the sport what it is,its not in my view, right for one discipline to take the moral high ground over another,I have tried most,and still use a few different methods,I like to hear the bullet impact on a fox, as it sits and looks at you from what it thinks is a safe distance,I like to hear the terrier speak at first contact underground,or the hounds in full song,there is a lot of skill in dog work,without doubt,same with a rifle or most of the other methods,but to say one is more or less humane, than the other is wrong,the hounds traps and snare's are methods,that have stood the test of time,

• Like 7

Watched 2 cubs 40yds apart tonight just mousing or learning to mouse.I had a .17hmr next to me. No temptation though. It was nice to watch them. Hope to see them again a bit later in the year in an earh perhaps or on the stubble in the beam when Ive got one of my lads pulling on the slip and Charlie will have a chance. Ive no right to preach to anyone about shooting Foxes, but I do object to calling it sport. I only consider it sport when the quarry knows its in danger and has a chance to avoid it or defend itself.

• Like 6

I wouldnt worry about charlie too much he's a born survivor !! The fact that you havnt seen him dosent meen he's not there . Prior to putting my poults to wood i was putting in a lot of hours dawn dusk and on the lamp and seeing very little . As soon as they went in it' like ringing the dinner bell . First morning i picked up two in snares . Later on i got some of the lads over with the terriers and lurchers and we accounted for three cubs in two outings , i had no idea they were about , just goes to show what a cunning and stealthy creature they are , you cant help but admire them !!!!

• Like 2

well calling it sport is just giving the antis more ammo, i enjoy my shooting but it,s simply pest control, saying you will not get rid of cubs because they will provide more fun to kill when they are bigger just puts us in a bad light,

• Like 1

well calling it sport is just giving the antis more ammo, i enjoy my shooting but it,s simply pest control, saying you will not get rid of cubs because they will provide more fun to kill when they are bigger just puts us in a bad light,

Im confused. Are you agreeing that animals should only be killed when neccesary and not for sport or are you lying to please the antis. Or have you forgotten where you are yourself. You are already in a bad light as far as the antis are concerned. Are you saying a Fox doesnt deserve a sporting chance?

• Like 1

What he's trying to say is that the underlying reason for the "sport" is not to enjoy yourself but to control a pest species that generally is out of balance in the countryside.

The fact that some people may like the thrill of stalking and shooting a fox is a by product of the need to control the species.

There are very few people who would go out and shoot a fox simply because they wanted to kill wildlife, because destroying wildlife for the sake of it, is not something that most people would want to do.

Most people involved with shooting are involved with conservation, either directly or indirectly through the nature of their permissions, and that's what shooting is really about. The enjoyment just happens to come with it as a by product that arises out of man's natural hunting instinct.

I for one would not shoot anything living, simply for the sake of shooting it.

As for the lack of foxes in this case, the lack of spotted foxes in a particular small area does not mean that the fox population as a whole is declining. In fact I understand that recent surveys over the last few years have actually shown a mushrooming of the population especially in urban areas.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Possibly true! but a dog can still be unlucky, get bitten or maybe it take longer to kill the fox, the dog might get hurt, it might pick up mange and god knows what.

Bullet night miss vitals so really its down to preference, experience, accuracy etc which is used but end of the day the intended result is the same.

That's my opinion

a dog can be unlucky and get bit? what do you think happens when a dog catches a fox he lies there and waits to die? of course the dog is going to get bit the fox wants to live. if the dog misses the fox he gets away unharmed, if the dog catches the fox he dies. as said before a good dog will kill the fox in seconds. I have 2 dogs I use for foxes 1 takes 2 or 3 minutes to kill them so he gets bit a lot. the other dog has only had 2 so far and took care of them in 10 to 15 seconds. I don't want to sound like im giving out because im not im just trying to explain that a fox does not get away from a dog wounded he either gets away unharmed or he doesn't get away. I love going out shooting foxes but you cant beat a good lurcher picking up a fox.

I have never had to take my rifle to the vets because it has been bitten.

Nearly had too take my welly though

calling it sport is just making a rod for your own back, it,s pest control all the way, :thumbs:

KILLING. IS KILLING. dont be so nieve as to think you can hide behind a few words. like shooter/ stalker/ . as far as your average anti is concerned.. everyone that kills animals in whatever way by whatever method FOR WHATEVER REASON. is fair game.

get real.

• Like 1

calling it sport is just making a rod for your own back, it,s pest control all the way, :thumbs:

KILLING. IS KILLING. dont be so nieve as to think you can hide behind a few words. like shooter/ stalker/ . as far as your average anti is concerned.. everyone that kills animals in whatever way by whatever method FOR WHATEVER REASON. is fair game.

get real.

But there is a difference between killing for the sake of it and killing for conservation of the natural balance or the table.

• Like 1

Possibly true! but a dog can still be unlucky, get bitten or maybe it take longer to kill the fox, the dog might get hurt, it might pick up mange and god knows what.

Bullet night miss vitals so really its down to preference, experience, accuracy etc which is used but end of the day the intended result is the same.

That's my opinion

a dog can be unlucky and get bit? what do you think happens when a dog catches a fox he lies there and waits to die? of course the dog is going to get bit the fox wants to live. if the dog misses the fox he gets away unharmed, if the dog catches the fox he dies. as said before a good dog will kill the fox in seconds. I have 2 dogs I use for foxes 1 takes 2 or 3 minutes to kill them so he gets bit a lot. the other dog has only had 2 so far and took care of them in 10 to 15 seconds. I don't want to sound like im giving out because im not im just trying to explain that a fox does not get away from a dog wounded he either gets away unharmed or he doesn't get away. I love going out shooting foxes but you cant beat a good lurcher picking up a fox.

I have never had to take my rifle to the vets because it has been bitten.

I never had to take a lurcher to the vet because he was bit by a fox. its not a blood bath or anything like that.

• Like 1

get real.

But there is a difference between killing for the sake of it and killing for conservation of the natural balance or the table.

What do you think about driven shooting and rearing of game birds. How does that fit in?