Looking For Gwp X Lab Pups.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone that was interested I've finally figured out how to get pictures onto here Here is my pup at 7 weeks, hes got four white feet aswell but you cant see them for the snow.

I’ve just got a few month old pup of this cross but my experience with seeing & being around other peoples:   they are generally chilled out as you said and independent hunters, Good nose and ha

Heres mine, just over 24 months old.

Posted Images

I know three month has passed since this thread was last posted in.
Sorry to rake up the thread but whats the point of starting a new thread when this one is here.
A good friend of mine who is a Keeper has been working this X breed for some time.
It all began with his GWP dog that he "intentionally" lined with his Lab bitch. Because of both dogs ability.
He kept 2 out of the litter and believe me they are fantastic all rounders ( But not for standing on a peg ) They want to work and are full of beans all day long.
He met up with another under keeper a while ago who had another first X from totally different blood lines and he decided to put the under keeper's dog on one of his bitches.
He kept yet another two what has been outstanding and seemed to naturally manage pheasant drives that bit better than the first generation.
So this time he has went for a repeat mating due to the exceptional ability of these dogs.
Myself ! I have had numerous, Springers, Labs and Cockers and could quite easily get another pure bred....But I won't
After seeing these at work and how pleasing they are to the eye I simply need one......
Maybe should of looked into this X years ago.
Anyways Pup arrives in 3 weeks time. I can't wait to be honest. :thumbs:
I hope all you lads are doing well with the ones you chose earlier.
Thanks

I would be interested in see some pics of the pup growing up mate I know a grouse keeper with a line of these first cross types they should all be 2 this season so I will see how they go. I have a wirehaired viszla and to be honest he wipes the floor with everything ive seen on the moor he has turned 2 now and has a bit of growing up mentally to do but he is a working machine and the breed is not as soft as people make out

Yeah I will begin a photo series LOL
I have been told from the lads that already have them not to try and work them too early as they need to mature and have a happy puppyhood.
My pal says he would not even tell them to sit until they are 9 months old. :huh:

Thanks Steve

I would do the usual obedience and get them retrieving from 8 weeks old as most will hunt from day one but the retrieving needs to be in them early. spend time with it and get a good bond

Yes mate I will ensure a good trusting bond is formed, to be honest it will be with me most of the time and seems my kennel is been used as a storage area right now, It will be living indoors

with us along with my Cocker and Springer.

I am quite excited for the arrival of the little fellow.

What does a lab bring to a gwp?. What does a gwp bring to a lab?.

ive got a 4 year old and the lab brings a bit of calmness to the wire and the wire gives the lab more balls and drive! i wanted a lab with balls for stalking and i certainly cant complain ! though he's definitely not a bird dog more of a hairy crocodile but then thats how i trained him! ive also got a young wire hair and the difference is massive especially on the ease of training and maturity

• Like 1

Jessdale - I may be speaking for myself here but to me when you cross the two the ideal result (in my eyes) would be...

A dog with a GWPs shape and coat with a great big bushy beard!! The Lab would hopefully make the dog calmer and easier/quicker to train and make all those lessons sink in. covers a lot of ground, throw in the occasional point to please the eye. And what would it be without some fire in its belly and gameness for tackling vermin.

Just got myself my second one of these, but its a second generation, looks just like a yellow lab at 9 weeks old but can see a bit of a beard coming on, better had or I'll be gutted.

Edited by ROB.BOB
  • Like 1

These are just over 3 weeks now and starting to show signs of a broken coat already.
My ,ate says the ones he kept from the last litter were between 9 month to a year before the beards began
Now I have seen another one of the last litter pups and that is mint as it is full "wire haired" looking
beautiful really and so pleasing to the eye.
Had a quick demo of its working ability and to be honest I have not seen anything with that amount of drive and agility for some time.
Roll on the day when I have to collect it.
Cheers

would like to see pics of the adult dogs ! if possible, never heard of this cross before !

I will get a few photos when I collect the pup, or before if he has time to let me go to his.

He is busy with the Grouse at the moment...

Thanks