What Time Of Year Are Harrisses For Sale?

potpoacher

can you tell me a bit more about moulting out and lamping with harrises and redtails? is there any difference between a harris and a redtail when it comes to lamping? 1 last question, can you fly reds in a cast? I presume that you cant, its only harrises but just checking. ;)

Carnt really comment on lamping as i havent done it im sure Charlie caller will answer that,

Moulting is when a hawk replace its feathers during the off season, starts usually in march finishes around september time, during this time a hawk is fed up to a fat weight and not flown or hunted, this gives quarry breeding time and you and the hawk a well earned rest

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to be honest mate most owls are better of in a huge aviary doing feeck all as most are useless unless you want to eat worms and mice lol....if you want to fly a cast of Harris hawks then get the Harri

This is the advice you need to look at thing with breeding owls is when they breed you will need to imprint the eyeasses because it is nearly impossible to tame a pr owl and by your questions I wouldn

only advice i can give mate is if your inexperienced with pob don't try breeding them..

can you tell me a bit more about moulting out and lamping with harrises and redtails? is there any difference between a harris and a redtail when it comes to lamping? 1 last question, can you fly reds in a cast? I presume that you cant, its only harrises but just checking. ;)

Well moulting out is started usually in feb-march and lasts aprox 6 months, basically the bird is fattened up and left(largely) to its own divices, lamping is a brilliant branch of the sport, and for me at least enables me to fly the bird in the short winter days when its dark and I have got home from work,if I did not lamp I would not keep a hawk, there is no great difference between Harris and reds on the lamp, my female Harris was very good on the lamp, and became very crafty flying out of the beam, I will be flying a male redtail this year, and he should be faster than a female Harris, and have a very direct gung-ho style, but we shall see as this will be my first redtail (owned) so am looking foreward to seeing how he takes to it.

• Like 1

I can imagine its good to watch. would they catch larger quarry if working in a cast?

I wouldnt be against flying my male at hare if he was flown in a cast, just my opinion but its probably the most natural way to fly a harris as its exactly as they do in the wild, i would be happy to fly mine at a hare knowing if he was to bind first an extra 2lb is just seconds away to give assistance, although it is quite dangerous for a smaller bird as one kick to the right place could speel the end but it could with most birds regardless of the size i would have thought