What Time Of Year Are Harrisses For Sale?

potpoacher

that's ok, I just know what its like to have my had chewed off and spat out!!! I am just glad you were decent and didn't call me every name under the sun!!

you have helped me a lot and in a way I like. thanks again,

atb and keep in touch.

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to be honest mate most owls are better of in a huge aviary doing feeck all as most are useless unless you want to eat worms and mice lol....if you want to fly a cast of Harris hawks then get the Harri

This is the advice you need to look at thing with breeding owls is when they breed you will need to imprint the eyeasses because it is nearly impossible to tame a pr owl and by your questions I wouldn

only advice i can give mate is if your inexperienced with pob don't try breeding them..

If you breed owls you will need to imprint them or risk not selling them and having even 3,4,5 seasons with a Harris or red will not prepare you for imprinting. I'd just stick with a Good mentor then a bird in that order. Atb

ok, the owls will probably just look nice in an aviary then! :yes:

Well mate you state that you would not pick up any quarry the bird catches,"just let them eat it" so what if your bird catches a rabbit or hare,you are going to be sat there for a long time waiting for your bird to crop up, and even when it has filled its crop it must finish its last morsel on the glove,or you could end up with a very resentful dangerous bird, and if you do that with a female harris or a redtail, you had better learn to stitch wounds mate,I think you have got your wires a bit crossed with falconry and you are not sure what you want, except that you obviously like the idea of having one, my advice would be to get out with someone who hunts a bird, and decide if its for you,and decide what you want from a bird,as going into it half hearted,(might hunt might not)is a recipe for disaster,nothing wrong by the way with keeping owls for fun and looking pretty if that what you want,but don't try it with a Harris or Redtail mate,decide what you want from birds and stick to it.

we did discuss this all earlier in the thread. I meant that I would pick the owl and quarry up and let it crop up later. it is the actual giving up of the quarry the owls don't like. have seen it and been told this by austringers, falconers and 'owlers'

Ok I take your point, I have no experience of owls (except a tawny owl as a teenager) but with the correct training, I am sure the trade off can be done, I know what I would rather be faced with a reluctant owl or a reluctant Redtail , and it would not be the Red :D the way to get any hawk and I would think owls too motivated is single kills and large rewards, but the bird MUST finish its ration on the glove, even if it has a full crop, when you say pick the bird and quarry up to let it crop up later, then the trade off must be done and done properly, robbing any bird is going to either hurt or switch the bird off hunting pretty sharpish, so a better idea mate would be, to help your owl break into the quarry, let it say half crop up then trade it off with the same food as it is eating (rabbit for instance) pocket the rabbit and let the bird finish its meal on the glove. It is of course up to you what you get and I wish you well, but I think something like a male Harris would provide you with a lot more enjoyment/sport than an owl mate.

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

Honest mate last season when she had her 1st kill it took me 45mins to get her off tried everything meat chick would she let go?? Not a chance! Lol on the rabbit lure not so bad but it's not real think she knows that :-/ roll on next season tho! How's u moult going? Jess is coming out good just can't wait!

2 tail feathers left to drop and grow threw and im done, he certainly got a move on after his slow start. Im buying him a frozen guinea fowl tommorow for something different, hopefully have the last two feathers dropping ha

Bloody hell mate give the bird a rat or summat, and eat the guinea fowl yourself, lol, being serious (for once) two weeks on sat I pick the redtail up, I just hope I can find enough bunnies for early success, as myxy seems to be rearing its ugly head round here, bloody typical, they suffer with the rain last year, and now the hot weather has set the myxy off, which I find strange as the rabbits will sit out more rather than huddling together in warrens, oh well I guess the bushytails will get even more of a hammering :D

Not usually on this late but carnt sleep, anyway, nothing but the best for my hawk :laugh: ive just sold an air rifle so ive a little extra cash so thought i would treat him lol

Make sure you get plenty of pics up of the hawk, :yes:

ive not seen any myxi about just yet so fingers crossed it will keep away and my season will be a gud un, ive been keeping the catty on me at all times to knock any off that crop up but thankfully i havent had to use it yet :boogy:

Edited by youcanthide...BANG