What Time Of Year Are Harrisses For Sale?

potpoacher

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to be honest mate most owls are better of in a huge aviary doing feeck all as most are useless unless you want to eat worms and mice lol....if you want to fly a cast of Harris hawks then get the Harri

This is the advice you need to look at thing with breeding owls is when they breed you will need to imprint the eyeasses because it is nearly impossible to tame a pr owl and by your questions I wouldn

only advice i can give mate is if your inexperienced with pob don't try breeding them..

thanks. just what I wanted to know. I am interested to know about the Bengal's because a friend is virtually giving some away (will have to find out the price) they will only be good for breeding. I was just wondering what time of year they bred so I knew when to prepare for baby's if I got some. he has 5, the original pair and their offspring which are different ages. they are in a smallish aviary together, hence the reason I would like to get some to give them more space. I was thinking of getting the original pair and breeding from them. the others would have to be split up as it is they are trying to breed, I am just scared of inbreeding, that's all. all suggestions and help will be much appreciated.

thanks

only advice i can give mate is if your inexperienced with pob don't try breeding them.. :thumbs:

very true what you say, I have a mentor and have the back up of someone who has bred owls before, but still you have brought me back to earth with a bump a reminded me that they might be better in a huge aviary doing***all :laugh: I would like to breed some in the future and fly them for pleasure, possibly hunt occasionally but may not bother if they are hard to get entered. I am looking to eventually be flying a cast of harrisses in a couple of years.

only advice i can give mate is if your inexperienced with pob don't try breeding them.. :thumbs:

very true what you say, I have a mentor and have the back up of someone who has bred owls before, but still you have brought me back to earth with a bump a reminded me that they might be better in a huge aviary doing***all :laugh: I would like to breed some in the future and fly them for pleasure, possibly hunt occasionally but may not bother if they are hard to get entered. I am looking to eventually be flying a cast of harrisses in a couple of years

to be honest mate most owls are better of in a huge aviary doing feeck all as most are useless unless you want to eat worms and mice lol....if you want to fly a cast of Harris hawks then get the Harris hawks mate.if the owls are been prity much given away then maybe a local bop center would be a better option for them as there they will have a good size aviary and also be taken out for show days to the public as if you want a hunting bird then my opinion would be that a Harris will suit u better....just my opinion :thumbs:

• Like 2

very true what you say, I have a mentor and have the back up of someone who has bred owls before, but still you have brought me back to earth with a bump a reminded me that they might be better in a huge aviary doing***all :laugh: I would like to breed some in the future and fly them for pleasure, possibly hunt occasionally but may not bother if they are hard to get entered. I am looking to eventually be flying a cast of harrisses in a couple of years

to be honest mate most owls are better of in a huge aviary doing feeck all as most are useless unless you want to eat worms and mice lol....if you want to fly a cast of Harris hawks then get the Harris hawks mate.if the owls are been prity much given away then maybe a local bop center would be a better option for them as there they will have a good size aviary and also be taken out for show days to the public as if you want a hunting bird then my opinion would be that a Harris will suit u better....just my opinion :thumbs:

you must be reading my mind! although you say about me wanting to eat mice and worms, I do. not really!!!!!!! but couldn't it be handy if they caught some of their own food? more natural, mixed/ balanced diet and would cut down on the food bill. (im not squeaky, im just not all that rich!! :D)

This is the advice you need to look at thing with breeding owls is when they breed you will need to imprint the eyeasses because it is nearly impossible to tame a pr owl and by your questions I wouldn't bother. Plus if you had a mentor they would no at what time to pick Harris's up I think you need to find a mentor that knows what he's on about and spend a year learning about falconry as flying owls is not falconry, Falconry is the art of pursuing quarry with trained raptors!

• Like 2

This is the advice you need to look at thing with breeding owls is when they breed you will need to imprint the eyeasses because it is nearly impossible to tame a pr owl and by your questions I wouldn't bother. Plus if you had a mentor they would no at what time to pick Harris's up I think you need to find a mentor that knows what he's on about and spend a year learning about falconry as flying owls is not falconry, Falconry is the art of pursuing quarry with trained raptors!

sorry, did know all that! just not feeling very specific this eve, plus don't fell like typing too much :icon_redface: . will try and be more specific in future posts. also, didn't know that baby owls were called eyeasses?! thought it was the hawks and falcons. what would you be called if you hunted with owls, because it doesn't come under the term austringer either.

I have been trying to get in touch with the mentor but not getting any replies at present. :censored: probably on holiday without telling me, like most people at the moment. nobody tells me when there going away and it does my head in! :wallbash:

Edited by potpoacher

It's owlets officially mate and don't no not many people hunting owls you won't hunt a Bengal eagle owl the only chance you'd have is with a Eeo my granddads old female that's in with a male now caught 100s of foxes she retired when he died as she would have anyone apart from him.

Even with the the european eagle owl I wouldnt bother hunting with tnem they dkont give up there prey very easy my mate has a female stick with a harris or red tail its much more fun

• Like 1

I don't mind if they don't give up there prey easily as I would probably let them eat it anyway. as I said, not too worried about hunting anyway, just want too fly them for fun.

Doesnt matter what you want to do with them you still need to know what your doing, which in all honesty mate it seems you havent a clue. Theres not much money in breeding owls as the chicks are inexpensive to buy so i would just leave them to someone who knows what there doing. Go out with a mentor for a season then get a harris or red then you wont get bored of watching an owl fly in a straight line over and over. You will be very disappointed with the hunting capabilities of an owl, its extremely hard to get them going and just not a serious option for any falconer. Sorry to be harsh but thats the reality of it :thumbs: good luck

I don't mind if they don't give up there prey easily as I would probably let them eat it anyway. as I said, not too worried about hunting anyway, just want too fly them for fun.

Doesnt matter what you want to do with them you still need to know what your doing, which in all honesty mate it seems you havent a clue. Theres not much money in breeding owls as the chicks are inexpensive to buy so i would just leave them to someone who knows what there doing. Go out with a mentor for a season then get a harris or red then you wont get bored of watching an owl fly in a straight line over and over. You will be very disappointed with the hunting capabilities of an owl, its extremely hard to get them going and just not a serious option for any falconer. Sorry to be harsh but thats the reality of it :thumbs: good luck

I don't mind a bit of reality! I need more of it!!! :)

Its not the money that counts with me, its the thought and experience of doing it. as I have said I would only breed after having a couple of seasons with a harris or red as you suggested. also, as I already stated, im not worried about getting them hunting.

• Like 1