Morning On The Crows

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a blast with the decoys on a freshly cut field sat morning

Wrong. Rooks are members of the crow family. So a morning shooting crows could involve any member of that family - carrion crows, rooks, jackdaws.

Just scattered decoys about 25 yards out and used a magnet with 2 crows on turned really slow with a dimmer switch so it ddosnt spook the birds And hide 25 yards And usually set up early hours befo

Posted Images

No need to get girlie ...im just pointing out that you are shooting rooks and calling them crows ...its like saying I caught a rat in a trap but it was a mouse

Wrong. Rooks are members of the crow family. So a morning shooting crows could involve any member of that family - carrion crows, rooks, jackdaws.

Im not wrong ...if you catch a trout you dont say you caught a salmon although it is a member of the salmon family or if you catch a mink you dont call it a weasel although it is a member of the weasel family......... lazy quarry indetification by 3 beef imo

Edited by MIK

They are a bit heavy on the trigger mate aren't they but it doesn't bother me, apart from mine jamming it was a bit of a learning curve with the handling after shooting OU guns for nearly 20 years.

It definatley doesn't cut em down at range like my berretta does though, I don't know about actually using it for wildfowling with some big shells but I find it more at home on 30yrd pigeons to be honest, that's the 26" version I have but I bought it as a pigeon and crow gun anyway I don't even go wildfowling but if I did I would have gone for he 30" version for definite.

If always used a 70mm shell through it but still the odd jam and I clean it well after every use, Ive shot about 1000 shells so far how many you put through yours Troy?

Edited by engraver

They are a bit heavy on the trigger mate aren't they but it doesn't bother me, apart from mine jamming it was a bit of a learning curve with the handling after shooting OU guns for nearly 20 years.

It definatley doesn't cut em down at range like my berretta does though, I don't know about actually using it for wildfowling with some big shells but I find it more at home on 30yrd pigeons to be honest, that's the 26" version I have but I bought it as a pigeon and crow gun anyway I don't even go wildfowling but if I did I would have gone for he 30" version for definite.

If always used a 70mm shell through it but still the odd jam and I clean it well after every use, Ive shot about 1000 shells so far how many you put through yours Troy?

have put a few thousand through it and its nether jammed with me once lyk a said its the trigger that's bugging me its been back to the shop once it fires first round no prob and second one its lyk its not loaded realy hard to push in then it will fire but apart from that its spot on

Never had that mate touch wood.

I say jam but I mean it leterally gets the emty shell stuck in the ejection slot I just pull it out with my hand and its good to go, Ive never thought it worth going 50 miles back to the shop for.

What you using through yours mate? Ive used some kent velocity 30grm 6s which I thought were crap and 30grm clear pigeon which were not much better, now settled on 3/4 choke and 32grm clear pigeon, seems to hammer down most things I shoot now within 40yrds, shot 61 the other day with 70 cartidges, in fact I did the school boy error and ran out it could have been a 100bird day.

But at first maybe it was because I wasn't used to it I was shooting a 50% ratio for me which was costing me a bomb in cartridges and it just not me.

Edited by engraver

No need to get girlie ...im just pointing out that you are shooting rooks and calling them crows ...its like saying I caught a rat in a trap but it was a mouse

Im not wrong ...if you catch a trout you dont say you caught a salmon although it is a member of the salmon family or if you catch a mink you dont call it a weasel although it is a member of the weasel family......... lazy quarry indetification by 3 beef imo

MIK - Trout are salmonids, not salmon. Mink are mustelids - although some people describe them as part of the weasel family. Talk to anyone who shoots crows and you'll find that it's common and factually correct to describe rooks, jackdaws and carrion crows simply as "crows".

• Like 1

Triple beef I dont need to ask anyone the people I shoot with know there quarry and know there is a big differance between a crow a rook and a jackdaw .....you dont go to a rookery in the second week in May to shoot young crows......... so going by your theory if there was a pic of someone with a pile of magpies it would be factually correct to describe them as crows? as they are corvus the same as crows ,jackdaws and rooks

Triple beef I dont need to ask anyone the people I shoot with know there quarry and know there is a big differance between a crow a rook and a jackdaw .....you dont go to a rookery in the second week in May to shoot young crows......... so going by your theory if there was a pic of someone with a pile of magpies it would be factually correct to describe them as crows? as they are corvus the same as crows ,jackdaws and rooks

well if you know the difference between a crow rook and Jackdaw why didnt you spot them in the picture then feckin know all. His post is factually correct because some of those birds are crows.........maybe he should have entitled it "a morning on the crows, rooks and jackdaws" but it doesnt quite have the same ring to it does it ?

• Like 1

well if you know the difference between a crow rook and Jackdaw why didnt you spot them in the picture then feckin know all. His post is factually correct because some of those birds are crows.........maybe he should have entitled it "a morning on the crows, rooks and jackdaws" but it doesnt quite have the same ring to it does it ?

No need to get shirty sweet cheeks so tell me how you can tell there are crows in the pic ....

No need to get shirty sweet cheeks so tell me how you can tell there are crows in the pic ....

Its all about quarry identification Mik :thumbs: