Driving Fields

How many of those that slate field driving have had a season or 2 doing it themselves?

I have done it several times on permission because i was like a kid with a new toy when i bought my 2yr old navara..but i sharp nipped that in the bud when i grew back up and realised the dog's where much fitter when i put the miles in on foot..i also do a lot of work in tractor's for a farmer and you sharp see how stupid our quarry becomes when they get used to the sound of a engine..i don't know how many time's i have seen deer /fox and hares within stupid distance's through them getting confident with the noise of the engine..which is not much more different to a diesel 4x4..when driving you can get a lot closer to game which makes it easier to catch..but IMO it's far from a fare hunting session especialy on the lamp..

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give it a thumbs down... dog men talk of testing the dog.. well as far as i see it you chase the rabbit/hare/fox down then throw the dog out the window at 20+ mph   not very sporting is it if th

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they ha

not with dog, gun or a 4x4.. maybe a field or two across from were i am ment to be (longnet)....   i know farmers that would trench the field if people started on there with 4x4.. i have already bee

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ..... tell the dogs that when their on their 4th buck or 5th fox that you would e pushed to put in front of them walking :laugh:

Tell the dogs that when their on their 5/6th fox or 4th buck that you wouldn't put in front of them walking , I like a walk but to say driving is no way hunting is a wee bit silly

I can put that and more in front of my dog walking .......

your the man :laugh:

Edited by DEERMAN

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ..... tell the dogs that when their on their 4th buck or 5th fox that you would e pushed to put in front of them walking :laugh:

Tell the dogs that when their on their 5/6th fox or 4th buck that you wouldn't put in front of them walking , I like a walk but to say driving is no way hunting is a wee bit silly

your the man

Yes I am :D ...........

PICT0015.jpg

• Like 2

Wow putting that many fox's and buck's in front of your dog it must be really good and you must have some really good land to lamp :thumbs:

• Like 1

How many of those that slate field driving have had a season or 2 doing it themselves?

I have done it several times on permission because i was like a kid with a new toy when i bought my 2yr old navara..but i sharp nipped that in the bud when i grew back up and realised the dog's where much fitter when i put the miles in on foot..i also do a lot of work in tractor's for a farmer and you sharp see how stupid our quarry becomes when they get used to the sound of a engine..i don't know how many time's i have seen deer /fox and hares within stupid distance's through them getting confident with the noise of the engine..which is not much more different to a diesel 4x4..when driving you can get a lot closer to game which makes it easier to catch..but IMO it's far from a fare hunting session especialy on the lamp..

Fair post millet :thumbs:

But for me 4x4 lamping is not about getting that close... i dont nirmally slip any closer than what i would on foot.

I use it as a way of keeping up with the course and keeping dog and quarry in lamp ...

• Like 3

I used to drive the plains at night and some other land but don't go lamping any more only daytime, walking... I put my lamp in storage to stop me going lol. I wouldn't drive a field again I can imagine how land owners feel, how would you feel if someone came on your freshly turfed garden and ripped it up with 4x4? if your walking daytime just a couple of you dog each if caught they usually tell you to get of land, rarely do they ring the police, you get the odd few that do but all part of the game these days... atb

Liar why did we just buy that fourtrax

Haha

your the man

Yes I am :D ...........

PICT0015.jpg

thought you were banned from the deer park........?..... :hmm:

your the man

Yes I am :D ...........PICT0015.jpg

thought you were banned from the deer park........?..... :hmm:

I am but sneak in now and again ... I miss the ticks .........

• Like 2

socks have you been to elevenerife by any chance?? :whistling:

No. . . . . but he's had a cockathree. . . .

That's a joke before anyone gets emotional. . . .

. . . . maybe it should have read a cock-or-three haha :laugh::tongue2:

I don't lamp anymore or even own a Lurcher anymore, but i must of been lamping for 20 years or so, i started on foot and really enjoyed it and had plenty of good nights, but even on a really good night we would be lucky to nail a couple of foxes, but I was more than happy with that at the time and they were usually taken with some Lurcher x Lurcher or collie/greyhound. But as time went on we started using the old Subaru l series estates and driving fields, that's when I got properly hooked on foxes, and that's when I soon realised that the dogs that were in our eyes very good dogs were not good enough, at the time my idea of a good night was'nt about the numbers it was about the individual dogs seeing them dispatch as many foxes as we could get them on in a night and it was'nt uncommon to run a dozen roe in the same night. We were now using heavily bull blooded dogs and as I remember most of them would'nt last much longer than a month, but after sifting through the shit we eventually ended up with a good team of dogs, that were all out 3-4 nights a week, this would mean those dogs were never properly healed throughout the full season but that's how it was and the dogs didn't seem to care either.

During those years I've been out with hundreds of different men and dogs and I've heard all the talk about certain dogs that have gained big reputations when it came to killing foxes, most never even lasted the night, the odd one scraped through but when it had it all to do again 2 nights later and still a bit sore its legendary status was soon ruined.

Everybody has different standards when it comes to testing dogs but mine was pushing a dog as far as I could so I knew exactly what I had in my kennels, now I've nothing against walking what so ever but it wasn't enough for what I wanted and if I had stuck to walking I would of had a kennel full of potential jackers because most of the dogs that jacked with us would of easily coped with the amounts we could of provided them with on foot.

The dogs we eventually settled with we're often run through the daytime on roe and bushed foxes and were very capable without the motor, but these days it seems that everybody is driving fields and you only have to look at there dogs to know why, there getting bigger and heavier every year and most have never been no where near fit, I see them all at the local shows big fat bull crosses that look like they've seen fuckall lol. There not my cup of tea for sure but its each to there own and I guess the only people they have to please is the person that feeds them, even if he's a bit of a dreamer.

So to sum it all up instead of slating a mans chosen pass time, forget about what the others are doing and stick with your own preferred method, or if your convinced your dog is better tested give it a go, you never know you might of been feeding a totally different dog than walking led you to believe.

• Like 5