Driving Fields

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i give it a thumbs down... dog men talk of testing the dog.. well as far as i see it you chase the rabbit/hare/fox down then throw the dog out the window at 20+ mph   not very sporting is it if th

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they ha

not with dog, gun or a 4x4.. maybe a field or two across from were i am ment to be (longnet)....   i know farmers that would trench the field if people started on there with 4x4.. i have already bee

Socks do you lamp much?

I lamp plenty .......

Good to hear it sounds like you catch lots of game :victory:

I am lucky enough to live in an area with plenty of game on it and I have 96,000 acres to lamp on ..........

ALL THE BIC BAGS WHAT IVE DONE , AND OTHERS ON HERE, WERE THE TON AND MORE HAS BIN TOOK, ON FOOT WITH 1 DOG OR 2,,, WHY DO YOU NOT HERE ABOUT THE 100 PLUS BEING DONE IN A MOTOR,,,I LIKE TO COME HOME NACKERD, I FEEL THAT HIT KEEPS ME FIT, AND TICKING OVER,, AND MORE SO I FEEL PART OF THE NIGHT,

do you mean come home tired or with no clothes on :icon_eek:

FU#KED LOL

ALL THE BIC BAGS WHAT IVE DONE , AND OTHERS ON HERE, WERE THE TON AND MORE HAS BIN TOOK, ON FOOT WITH 1 DOG OR 2,,, WHY DO YOU NOT HERE ABOUT THE 100 PLUS BEING DONE IN A MOTOR,,,I LIKE TO COME HOME NACKERD, I FEEL THAT HIT KEEPS ME FIT, AND TICKING OVER,, AND MORE SO I FEEL PART OF THE NIGHT,

do you mean come home tired or with no clothes on :icon_eek:

FU#KED LOL

Proper fcuked?

:hmm:Been in trucks, when driving the fields,..and I've been pursued by trucks,.when walking the fields,..one experience I found amazingly exciting, the other was always, emotional.. :laugh:

As for catch quantities,..well, when we had the rabbits in this area, I regularly lamped 30s and 40s of a night..

Always on foot,...Sometimes, we took in excess of that amount,.but as we were freelancing amidst prime game country,.it was prudent to work the various areas and estates on a rota basis,.and stay safe...

Driving the fields back then,..was not an option.

Nowadays,.I go out in the trucks with farmers,..on permission,.and there is no doubt that you can get up close and personal on your chosen quarry :thumbs:

It is obviously good craic and makes the night hunting experience incredibly exciting...

Driving the fields and paddocks can be testing, especially on dogs that are unused to constant running, and I believe they need to be brought onto the game, real careful and steady.

You can sometimes run the dog ragged, if you lack discipline and become kill crazy..

However,.as an aside,.. I would have to say that although I have seen huge quantities of game, both little and large,.taken out with spotlights; assisted by silenced rifle and a good driver /shooter combo,..the largest amount of rabbits, that I have seen caught with lurchers, has always been on foot... :yes:

Whatever :laugh: ..my lamping nights are long over,...but good luck to them as still wants it...

All the best, Phil.

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

Just a reminder; taking deer with dogs at night was illegal before the hunting ban.....

A few folks need to calm down a little; it's a perfectly reasonable subject for discussion, but as usual, cocks have to be waved around...

There is a huge difference between driving around on cut silage fields or grazing fields, and smashing/cutting your way into drillings to drive all over them.

The drivers are causing massive problems around here; farmers now have a zero tolerance policy towards anyone with a running dog due to the inconsiderate behaviour of a few.

There is no doubt in my mind that you can cover much more ground, and therefore see much more quarry with the aid of a vehicle. Quad is the way to go IMO these days...

Just a reminder; taking deer with dogs at night was illegal before the hunting ban.....

A few folks need to calm down a little; it's a perfectly reasonable subject for discussion, but as usual, cocks have to be waved around...

It's THL Matt...illegal on here...???? Whatcha on about............................ :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

Best bags I've done have been on foot,, also the best ive herd of have been on foot,,, of course I'm talking rabbits,,, I'm not a fox man,,,, mind the best bags of deer I've done have been on foot,, back when it was legal,,, and again the best I've herd of have been on foot,,,,

But I liked to drive on some spots I had permission it was productive ,,, but alsa I can no longer afford a 4x4

• Like 1

There is a huge difference between driving around on cut silage fields or grazing fields, and smashing/cutting your way into drillings to drive all over them.

The drivers are causing massive problems around here; farmers now have a zero tolerance policy towards anyone with a running dog due to the inconsiderate behaviour of a few.

There is no doubt in my mind that you can cover much more ground, and therefore see much more quarry with the aid of a vehicle. Quad is the way to go IMO these days...

I find whatever your pursuing to be a lot less bothered by a motor than a quad, i lamp mainly walking but if i want to cover more farms i will sometimes drive they both work for me...

Reading through this topic it seems lads who enjoy taking lots of rabbits walk, on the other hand lads who enjoyed taking fox and testing there dogs to there full potential on them seemed to drive.

Personaly i would say a dog is more taxed on foot as it has to make more distance up rather than being flung out of a car window on something that has been chased around the field to tire it out..and while the the dog is on foot it has to cover in the region of 30mile or more on a good night's lamping...where a dog that has been driven around will have to run and walk less than half that distance in a night..and above all that you will keep yourself half fit in the process of going it on foot..

Well said millet :victory:

Driving around a field slipping dogs on quarry is in no way hunting or any test for a decent dog ... It's just s way of bad dog men to brag that they have big numbers and bluff themselves that they have good dogs ... Take the vehicle away from them and will make them and their dogs looks very average ... If you want to hunt then get out of the truck and learn some field craft by walking the ground ......

Well said, the lads who walk have the best and most tested dogs :victory:

That's the most load of bollox av ever heard FACT

Have you seen the helicopter video footage of lads from your area? here it is :victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgEvJKZT1E

I'm so glad you put this up I seen it yesterday if that video is anything to go by if that wat happens WHEN you go out with 4 by 4 motor f****n jokes that's fact I would never dream of doing this to any land first two dogs couldn't get near it jokes of hunting fact rant over made me angry to see this

Edited by Matt the Rat
To remove banned text
  • Like 1