Mentor In The Newcastle Area Or A Good Gun Club.

Oh lord, first post and having read a good few "comments" on here I fear the replies! Should I start with "free vermin control" haha.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A PERMISSION......YET....

I am 39 years old, family man and a professional engineer....100% not a nutter or a 14 year old boy with an attitude. I live in Gosforth, Newcastle but I am happy to travel a little for the right opportunity.

I have recently (6 months) got into air rifle shooting, I won't shame myself with the first gun I had (SMK break barrel), but quickly picked up a Weihrauch HW97KT and then a HW100T.....my gun of choice right now.

I, with much trepidation, will start looking around for a permission, but one thing that bothers me is that, what if I am crap at it? I don't want to bust a gut like you all are doing, to get a permission and ruin it for someone else in the area by making an arse out of it all.

I feel like I am accurate enough, but bench shooting is one thing right. I do try prone, sitting and standing also and can keep to a sub 0.5" group at 20m. I can do the same from a bench out to 30m and at 50m I am no worse than 1".

Fine and dandy.....paper doesn't move!

What I would like to ask for (and open myself up for abuse) is someones experience, tips and hints. I have read books, watched DVDs, but as everything in live, hands on practical experience is worth a million times that. I am hoping that there is a kind soul out there who might be able to take me out 1-2 times, hell, even for 60 mins, on to a permission, just so I can learn. I don't even mind leaving my gun at home if it bothers them so much.

I do love this sport, I do find it incredibly hard to get into, and I'd love to find a mentor even if you can only spare 60 mins one weekend or week night.

I AM NOT looking to break into someones syndicate or get on someone elses permission. Genuine request for someone to pass on some experience.

Fingers crossed I didn't just bait a load of trolls :)

Thanks guys, be gentle!

Thanks, I use Steve Smiths about once a week. The thing I want to experience though is hunting and shooting moving targets. Paper & metal targets are all well and good. As I say, I am happy to leave my rifle at home if it makes people uncomfortable or untrusting, I just want to pick up some tips (yes I'd love to practice but I am aware it wouldn't be my permission and I am totally respectful of that).

I'll have a look at Thorn Dell too, thanks, sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I use Steve Smiths about once a week. The thing I want to experience though is hunting and shooting moving targets. Paper & metal targets are all well and good. As I say, I am happy to leave my rifle at home if it makes people uncomfortable or untrusting, I just want to pick up some tips (yes I'd love to practice but I am aware it wouldn't be my permission and I am totally respectful of that).

I'll have a look at Thorn Dell too, thanks, sir.

I am in the same boat as you .Willing to pay my way but nowt coming in even though I have offered cash for the privilege to shoot vermin

Seems the only way is to get some like minded souls together and outbid the other syndicates : )

It's a little disapointing to be honest. I understand people work hard for a permission, but then keep it guarded. I always assumed these formus were to HELP get people into this sport, but the help is limited to theoretical help and (so it seams) showing off mods/trophys etc. I am sure had I said "I have a permission and would like a shooting buddy" there would have been FAR more replies.

Maybe I am too harsh, perhaps no one in Newcastle has a permission or they are all loners? ha.

Well, I have been away 2 weeks and no other replies on here. While on holiday I met a guy who sells and services combines/tractors etc in this area, on very friendly terms with most of my local farmers and his own folks have a farm 45 mins from me....so I have one permission now and he said he'll introduce me to his friends round here when he is out shooting locally. I guess, sometimes, it's not what you know, but who you know....he grew up on his parents farm and has been shooting since he was a nipper...

Look out for the "Newcastle bloke wants shooting buddy" post in a few weeks time eh?

Well, had a great chat to a couple of guys at the range today who restored my faith in human nature. FINGERS CROSSED I might get a trip out in the near future. There are friendly sorts who are willing to help after all :)

Also took my 6 year old down who was hitting 1/2" targets at 33yrds too - "Dad, can I get a gun just like yours?" I'll be looking for a HW100 carbine as the full size is a little heavy for him still ha.