The Glorious 12Th

CrowHawker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers will be fantastic and if I can put a grouse in the bag that just a bonus!

Any body heading north of the border next month? I'm going up to Elgin on the 11th with a peregrine,terceil,red naped/saker male my old Gyr/peregrine and my 2 trusty hyenas! both peregrines are imprin

Falconry mate trying to book some desert hawking and a holiday staying at the Atlantis

To be honest bud, I wouldn't travel 13 hours. I may get up to Yorkshire once or twice, but having Birds capable of taking Grouse requires regular flights and experience, once or twice a year would not cut it for me. The same reason I gave my Eagle up, lack of adequate quarry and having to travel too much to get regular work and give the Bird the experience he needed to do the job efficiently. I have 10,000 more Acres and more mates land down here to fly at, so wouldn't want to travel 3 hours, never mind 13....lol I wasn't aiming my comments at you mate, others who don't fly Longwings are probably following the topic, so just general comments and adding to the thread.

I would love to watch the grouse hawking i bet its real fast and exciting, I do alot of hunting on the grouse moors with the dogs.

But the grouse is strictly off limits, I would of thought your pritty lucky to do the grouse hawking especially this early on in the season, what sort of numbers will you take and what will the catch rate be.

I would love to watch the grouse hawking i bet its real fast and exciting, I do alot of hunting on the grouse moors with the dogs.

But the grouse is strictly off limits, I would of thought your pritty lucky to do the grouse hawking especially this early on in the season, what sort of numbers will you take and what will the catch rate be.

Numbers Varey depending how well my hyenas work non stop normally they've been on the treadmill for the last 10 days but if I catch one il be well over the moon! It's more about the heritage of hunting with a peregrine at grouse on a scottish more

To be honest bud, I wouldn't travel 13 hours. I may get up to Yorkshire once or twice, but having Birds capable of taking Grouse requires regular flights and experience, once or twice a year would not cut it for me. The same reason I gave my Eagle up, lack of adequate quarry and having to travel too much to get regular work and give the Bird the experience he needed to do the job efficiently. I have 10,000 more Acres and more mates land down here to fly at, so wouldn't want to travel 3 hours, never mind 13....lol I wasn't aiming my comments at you mate, others who don't fly Longwings are probably following the topic, so just general comments and adding to the thread.

Year before last I took a young terceil and didn't catch anything bit inexperienced but when we were home and got him taking red legs took him up the August after and he took 6 in 8 days you are right it's all about the birds experience and the falconers and the dogs next week all my birds are experienced and should be some great flights.

Been after a Peregrine Falcon for years now, either only Tiercels for sale, or the Parents have never seen a days work or the price tag is too high for a Falcon..........Flown several Hybrid Gyr Sakers and Pere Sakers at Crows/Rooks, Pheasant and Partridge and I love Kite work, but never had the inclination to travel my Birds that far and go through the expense included just to say I have done it....as of yet, never say never. I will admit I have enjoyed watching good dogs work a Moor followed by a 'waiting on' Bird give it some welly, when watching others clips and Doovdas.

Getting packed birds and hyenas sorted ready for the 4am start in the morning. Happy days!

Good luck for tomorrow, hope you have some good weather for the right type of flights............went away with a Gos once, got her fitter and keener and made sure she had some long slips, using a Lurcher Lure Machine.....4 hour trip and little sleep the night before, then it p.issed down and blew a hooly for the next two days. We had a lovely quiet trip back to Devon in the Defender!!.......oh the joys!..lol. Have fun. Edited by Shamo