Parent Reared Or Imprint...

Gaz_1989

depends on what kind of imprinting.harris hawks are renown for food imprinting but think that thats because that its in there breeding as in the wild they call and are very vocal as they are a pack animal.a mate told me he trained two harris hawks exactly the same way and one became food imprinted and the other not...

with the right training method this shouldnt happen, harris hawks are very vocal by nature but with the right method this wont happen, i think most of these problems happen with parent reared birds that the breeder has taken out too early to save on cost

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so I have searched and I know what the difference is... I think...   Parent reared is hatched with its parents and stays with them (no human contact) untill 20-22 weeks when a human has to basica

The Harris is a more sociable bird mate than the reds are, its in the fact that they hunt in groups and also live in groups for protection etc they even have a set hierarchy within the group, unlike m

Yeh mate FHH she flys at 2.3 2.4 but don't take any notice of that as mate as different birds have different flying weights! Same as hunting weight etc! Lorne

Where did you get that info anyway

i read on the iff some time ago that spending to much time with a harris in the beging of its training can cause it to become vocal towards you you

Im a believer in not spending too much times in early training, having a hawk sat there for hours isnt doing much, in my manning i kept my hawk working away at a rabbit spine constantly touching him then other than taking him for walks he got put back, never had a problem

depends on what kind of imprinting.harris hawks are renown for food imprinting but think that thats because that its in there breeding as in the wild they call and are very vocal as they are a pack animal.a mate told me he trained two harris hawks exactly the same way and one became food imprinted and the other not...

with the right training method this shouldnt happen, harris hawks are very vocal by nature but with the right method this wont happen, i think most of these problems happen with parent reared birds that the breeder has taken out too early to save on cost

i no that that some breeders do tack birds out to young to save on cost mate but the mate who im on about bred both birds for him self so no expense was spared.everythuing in his method was exactly the same .

i read on the iff some time ago that spending to much time with a harris in the beging of its training can cause it to become vocal towards you you

Im a believer in not spending too much times in early training, having a hawk sat there for hours isnt doing much, in my manning i kept my hawk working away at a rabbit spine constantly touching him then other than taking him for walks he got put back, never had a problem

im with you on that one mate. Take the bird up get it manned get it killing.gives you the best chance at a silent hawk

• Like 1

Thanks for the further replies lads. Appreciate the info.

I'm thinking male red tail at the moment. But of course this may change in the next 12 months!

with a mentor like yours mate im sure you could go with any bird you wanted.get a bird that suits the quarry you want to fly it at.my choices would be fhh of ffg

• Like 1

The number one thing beginners do to make its scream is that they cut the hawk to fast and instead of it being keen its far to sharp nice and steady and have steps with your training not moving on until the previous step is completed but your mentor will show you his way and that is the way to go! Re Harris or red go for the bird you like the look of most both are good birds if handled correctly from the outset.

Re my imprinting for future breeding finger feed from day 1. I've found that if you imprint a gos Harris etc properly you get a little noise maybe quite a bit but if put in a sucluded pen with a food shoot youll be surprised how pr like it is come the second season. But if you get a Harris at 20 weeks been bred in suclution and you cut its weight 2 quick it will scream.

• Like 1

The Harris is a more sociable bird mate than the reds are, its in the fact that they hunt in groups and also live in groups for protection etc they even have a set hierarchy within the group, unlike most BOP's which are simply loners or a bonded pairs, too put it simply even the parents reared Harris can display an affiliation with humans and dogs etc that appears unnatural top falconers, as they would only see this normally in imprints. Sometimes even parent rears can take on the poorer aspects of imprints behaviour, usually food is the downfall feeding in moult, bird quickly works out you feeded the shoot, people tend to think cos the bird cannot see em put food in, that they dont think its them, but birds are not daft they soon work out routines certain noises etc

For a hunting bird you definitely want a parent rear mate, a bird should know its a bird not think its a human or a dog, imprinting is fine if you know what you are doing , if not its fools gold, to be fair these days ther only imprints should be spars in my honest opinion, Gos ete easy enough to weight manage, spar not so easy at all, another option is the crèche rearing that some do with Harris , maybe that's another option, like someone else said though an imprinted femal red is a massive no no, fook me Id rather marry and have kids again, less hassle lol best of luck what ever way you decide to go pal

• Like 1

another point worth considering is too ignore those that crab the harris as a mugger, lol they the newcomers to this game are harris even though they been around a while, so many slate them for the style that they hunt in, for me its jealousy cos they get the numbers, might not be classical falconry like the hoy poloy like but hell if you hunting for the table gimme a harris any days of the week, so many quick to write em off and move onto summat 'better' , most have got shot long before the bird really adopts its own style or the falconer learns his part of the trade to perfection, I must be one of the rare people who wants to go back over to a harris instead of onto another bird instead

• Like 1

My basic answer would be as a beginner you want a parent reared bird from a source that knows exactly how to breed parent reared, a crèche reared still needs an experienced handler or it may revert to certain traits of imprinting, and an imprint of any kind should only be for the very experienced. If you get a screamer it is hell to live with and may only stop when it is at top weight so you end up with a bird too fat to fly and becomes a glove puppet! I would take a Harris over a red tail any day because their intelligence out hunting is phenomenal, real strategists if allowed to hunt following on, but this is only my personal preference.

• Like 1

was the harris been a mugger aimed at me lol

no but yeah but ........ :laugh::laugh:

no mate it weren't a dig at you, just a general comment, when you hear of Harris its always like they not as good as other sorts of BOP's, like they a child or beginners bird, something to move on from as soon as you know the basics and having hunted my own I know they are very versatile and clever hunters, to be fair it can take a few seasons to see the real full potential unlocked, but how many have used them to get into the game and the bird fair play will suffer because of the newbies mistakles etc and maybe moved on well before its learned the ropes and adopted its own style etc likesay just an observation,

I think a lot of it comes from the old school mentality to falconry, nowadays lads with the right approach and time taken to find a mentor books dvd's, payed instruction/hunting days etc can take on whatever bird they choose, so starter birds are no longer needed as happened in the past, sort out what ground and quarry you have to use and choose the bird from that, I reckon if most where totally honest most would own harris hawks, the snobbery within falconry around them is a little sad imho, these things live such a long time and nowt excels by being moved on from pillar to post :thumbs:

• Like 1

My basic answer would be as a beginner you want a parent reared bird from a source that knows exactly how to breed parent reared, a crèche reared still needs an experienced handler or it may revert to certain traits of imprinting, and an imprint of any kind should only be for the very experienced. If you get a screamer it is hell to live with and may only stop when it is at top weight so you end up with a bird too fat to fly and becomes a glove puppet! I would take a Harris over a red tail any day because their intelligence out hunting is phenomenal, real strategists if allowed to hunt following on, but this is only my personal preference.

I only fly my harris from following on, i love to see him make his own decisions like which perch to take over a burrow, how close to stay to me me when beating. Wouldnt like to fly from the fist as over the past 2 seasons my bird chooses height over flat out speed so for me to fly him off the fist would be me hindering him