Parent Reared Or Imprint...

Gaz_1989

Ok so I have searched and I know what the difference is... I think...

Parent reared is hatched with its parents and stays with them (no human contact) untill 20-22 weeks when a human has to basically tame a wild bird.

Imprint is hatched in an incubator and has human contact from day 1?

Hopefully that's right?

So what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks

Gaz

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so I have searched and I know what the difference is... I think...   Parent reared is hatched with its parents and stays with them (no human contact) untill 20-22 weeks when a human has to basica

The Harris is a more sociable bird mate than the reds are, its in the fact that they hunt in groups and also live in groups for protection etc they even have a set hierarchy within the group, unlike m

Yeh mate FHH she flys at 2.3 2.4 but don't take any notice of that as mate as different birds have different flying weights! Same as hunting weight etc! Lorne

Your right,

Parent reared birds breed with there own kind, less aggresive at sexual maturity (generally) less vocal (generally)

Imprints wont breed with their own kind unless theres creche reared with other imprint siblings ( i think ) there calmer and less highly strung, bad manners ( in some cases) can fly at a higher weight. Noiser (in most cases)

Your right,

Parent reared birds breed with there own kind, less aggresive at sexual maturity (generally) less vocal (generally)

Imprints wont breed with their own kind unless theres creche reared with other imprint siblings ( i think ) there calmer and less highly strung, bad manners ( in some cases) can fly at a higher weight. Noiser (in most cases)

except accipiters who will breed even when imprinted

theres imprinting and theres imprinting, a mal imprint is noisy and ill manured but an imprint can generally be flown at a higher weight than if the same bird was parent reared.

Sorry mate, what's a mal imprint?

Your right,

So parent reared must be the most popular I take it?

theres imprinting and theres imprinting, a mal imprint is noisy and ill manured but an imprint can generally be flown at a higher weight than if the same bird was parent reared.

Sorry mate, what's a mal imprint?

:laugh:

Your right,

not necessarily, an imprint gos may well scream like a banshee in the mews but will most likely be mute in the field.

Your right,

Yes get a parent reared for you first bird less to go wrong

Your right,

except accipiters who will breed even when imprinted

Learn something new everyday

get an imprint they double as an alarm clock an intruder alert and also could be used as a guard dog as they can become very nasty :laugh: .why people would want to inprint is beoned me :blink: ....yes you can fly them at a higher weight but if that is why you want an inprint(not aimed at you there gaz ) to fly it at a higher weight just get a female red or a female Finnish gos as they will have enough weight to talk quarry.and neighbors wont be to happy when they start screaming at you everytime your in the garden.....and that's not to mention the fact that the hawk trys to breed with you :laugh: ................ive got a enough with my crazy bird as it is one with tits never mind a crazy one with talons :laugh:

First bird go PR someone imprinting a bird with no knowledge is a accident waiting to happen. Not all imprint accipiters will breed naturally I wouldn't risk a musket with a imprint spar myself. And not all mal (food) imprints scream and are not nasty if done properly but this sort of imprinting is done for breeding really. I like my Harris hawks crèche reared and picked up at 16 weeks but that's me but you will learn more from a pr 16-20 week bird

• Like 1

get an imprint they double as an alarm clock an intruder alert and also could be used as a guard dog as they can become very nasty :laugh: .why people would want to inprint is beoned me :blink: ....yes you can fly them at a higher weight but if that is why you want an inprint(not aimed at you there gaz ) to fly it at a higher weight just get a female red or a female Finnish gos as they will have enough weight to talk quarry.and neighbors wont be to happy when they start screaming at you everytime your in the garden.....and that's not to mention the fact that the hawk trys to breed with you :laugh: ................ive got a enough with my crazy bird as it is one with tits never mind a crazy one with talons :laugh:

its nothing to do with the weight verses ability, its weight verses train- ability. take musket where 1/8th of an ounce is the difference between death and living. having an imprint gives you a better weight safety margin.