Your Mews/housing...

Gaz_1989

Mate it looks like there wont be enough natural sunlight in moult which can lead to health problems and pinched feathers.when your harris does go into moult and becomes fat he or she will not like you going in cleaning the floor and filling a bath in moult u leave them to get on with it with out stress or the new feathers will have stress marks. If I was going use that space a would open the front up by the window as big as possible and open half the roof in the garage keep them walls the same but I would make them walls solid with door system. your hawk then can see all garden and also get the elements pea gravel floor with drainage put bath under section of open part of roof so it will collect rain water...

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded

Good luck gaz look forward to reading your journey

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment,

Posted Images

Mate it looks like there wont be enough natural sunlight in moult which can lead to health problems and pinched feathers.when your harris does go into moult and becomes fat he or she will not like you going in cleaning the floor and filling a bath in moult u leave them to get on with it with out stress or the new feathers will have stress marks. If I was going use that space a would open the front up by the window as big as possible and open half the roof in the garage keep them walls the same but I would make them walls solid with door system. your hawk then can see all garden and also get the elements pea gravel floor with drainage put bath under section of open part of roof so it will collect rain water...

Agreed but he did say when in the moult he would attatch an outside open meshed roof accessible by the window so that would give the bird the choice of staying outside to weather or keep dry inside the garage part, providing this happens and with the slight changes you and i suggested i dont think its too bad of an idea, then he can just do what i do to clean the bird, wait till he is in his weathering part then close of the window clean inside then do the opposite for the outside

You can't hide - cheers I will see what I can sort about the bars and will put the ferrets in view.

Crowhawker - it's not really a day to day garage mate. It's currently upside down due to recent house move. If the bird goes in there then it will be just for my bird, ferrets, freezer and hunting gear.

Alcatraz - I can see what you are saying but I don't plan to leave the bird locked in the garage untouched for 6 months while she moults.

I've spoke to loads of lads who say that they still bow their birds out when in moult and have no problems except them being a bit grumpy and that fret marks only become an issue when the bird gets so stressed that it secretes adrenalin - which surely a well handled bird shouldn't just by moving it from one perch to another? Maybe I'm wrong.

I've also spoken to alot of people that tether year round in a closed roof enclosure so these people must bow the bird out during moult aswell?

If this is an issue then I can always build an open roof extension onto the side. But again the bird would need to be free lofted for this. Taking the roof off the garage isn't an option.

Cheers

Gaz

Agreed but he did say when in the moult he would attatch an outside open meshed roof accessible by the window so that would give the bird the choice of staying outside to weather or keep dry inside the garage part, providing this happens and with the slight changes you and i suggested i dont think its too bad of an idea, then he can just do what i do to clean the bird, wait till he is in his weathering part then close of the window clean inside then do the opposite for the outside

Hadn't seen this post when I replied before.

As you say, IF I decided to freeloft then I would build an open top aviary onto the side. But for the short term I plan to tether and weather outside as often as possible.

This "not going near birds in moult" thing seems to very from falconer to falconer. Some lads leave secluded and untouched, other lads handle daily and others do everything inbetween.

Mate wait till you see the difference between a well handled bird during the season and one at fat weight, if it is anything like mine youd better have your tools ready for that outside weathering, mine changed from a very good tempered bird to an absolute nightmare.

The female Harris I was handling at the weekend was at fat weight and mid-moult.

She wasn't in the best of moods but certainly no demon.

Maybe she is the exception as opposed to the norm though.

Maybe, all birds are different so its impossible to predict what will happen, what does your mentor do during the moult?

Did you watch that other dvd

I think it depends on the bird as to what he does.

That female is tethered at the moment and he still weathers her in the garden but I think he will be free lofting her soon.

I guess I need to keep my options open and just see what sort of temperament my bird has got.

Haven't watched the second DVD mate yet, will watch it this week at some point though. Loved the first one.

Maybe, all birds are different so its impossible to predict what will happen, what does your mentor do during the moult?

That female is tethered at the moment and he still weathers her in the garden but I think he will be free lofting her soon.

I guess I need to keep my options open and just see what sort of temperament my bird has got.

Haven't watched the second DVD mate yet, will watch it this week at some point though. Loved the first one.

Youve got a year to decide what your gonna do, plans change, you might end up with a golden eagle yet :laugh:

Youve got a year to decide what your gonna do, plans change, you might end up with a golden eagle yet :laugh:

Yeh maybe in 10 years! Lol

• Like 1