Your Mews/housing...

Gaz_1989

I dont know mate, i think an outside aviary would be better, better lighting, exposure to weather

Bowing out everyday might not be an option depending on how laid back the bird is, as you know my bird didnt take too well to it. Size wise fine but still think on outside setup would be best

I thought there would be more space and light in this setup than in a 10 x 8 shed type setup.

I do plan to weather the bird out as much as possible from young.

Maybe back to the drawing board :-(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded

Good luck gaz look forward to reading your journey

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment,

Posted Images

I dont know mate, i think an outside aviary would be better, better lighting, exposure to weather

Bowing out everyday might not be an option depending on how laid back the bird is, as you know my bird didnt take too well to it. Size wise fine but still think on outside setup would be best

I thought there would be more space and light in this setup than in a 10 x 8 shed type setup.

its just that an inside aviary isnt very common and isnt a done thing, if thats what you want to do then do it, what about in weather like this, is it warm in the garage, or in cold weather does it really drop, i know in my garage the temp plummets to lower than it is outside

its just that an inside aviary isnt very common and isnt a done thing, if thats what you want to do then do it, what about in weather like this, is it warm in the garage, or in cold weather does it really drop, i know in my garage the temp plummets to lower than it is outside

Currently it's cooler in the garage than outside but that would change if I swapped the window for galvanised bars.

In winter the ferrets water doesn't freeze in the garage but again that could change once the window is taken out.

I'm not bothered that its not the done thing or popular, I aren't one to follow the crowd, I just want the best setup I can fit and afford :thumbs:

Currently it's cooler in the garage than outside but that would change if I swapped the window for galvanised bars.

In winter the ferrets water doesn't freeze in the garage but again that could change once the window is taken out.

I'm not bothered that its not the done thing or popular, I aren't one to follow the crowd, I just want the best setup I can fit and afford :thumbs:

theres nothing i can see to go wrong with the setup then, except like articgun said dont start the car up in it ha, what about drainage, where will the water go after its sprayed out? Other than that get planning lol

I got to agree it would be fine in season as u could bow down or high perch in the elements but when in moult it may struggle does the sun hit that side etc and not all bop are the same mine hates the bath so ive hosed her down in this heat which she loves normaly she sits in the rain which they need to produce more oils in there feathers and u cant open roof as u would end up with a flooded garage.. my opinion is they should have a choice in moult to sit in the sun or rain.... Edited by Alcatraz
  • Like 1

And me mate outside

Something like this is was what i was originally thinking...

Without the small window to the right and the bars would be carried on down another couple of feet.

I would take the floor out and just put pea gravel down and teather on a shelf perch in the back corner then bow the bird out in the garden as often as possible.

Obviously this wont have an open section of the roof.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mews+hawk&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=1057&tbm=isch&tbnid=8krdxEbUQBAoSM:&imgrefurl=http://ukaviaries.co.uk/index.php%3Froute%3Dproduct/product%26product_id%3D85&docid=Q-NxhMOLzu8-AM&imgurl=http://ukaviaries.co.uk/image/cache/data/w%252520log%252520lap%252520mesh%2525204-675x675.jpg&w=675&h=675&ei=HePsUeXRNaeo0QWt8oCQDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=926&vpy=334&dur=172&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=100&ty=113&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=58&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:0,i:160

Why is it that a closed roof is fine if tethering but if freelofting an open roof is required? Is this just for the people that dont touch the bird when its in moult?

If the bird is tethered you don't want it getting wet and not being able to get out the way and catching a chill if free lofted it can make it's on mind up find a perch to dry out and out of the wind. One of my Harris's sits in rain for hours

Edited by CrowHawker
  • Like 1

Without the small window to the right and the bars would be carried on down another couple of feet.

I would take the floor out and just put pea gravel down and teather on a shelf perch in the back corner then bow the bird out in the garden as often as possible.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mews+hawk&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=1057&tbm=isch&tbnid=8krdxEbUQBAoSM:&imgrefurl=http://ukaviaries.co.uk/index.php%3Froute%3Dproduct/product%26product_id%3D85&docid=Q-NxhMOLzu8-AM&imgurl=http://ukaviaries.co.uk/image/cache/data/w%252520log%252520lap%252520mesh%2525204-675x675.jpg&w=675&h=675&ei=HePsUeXRNaeo0QWt8oCQDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=926&vpy=334&dur=172&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=100&ty=113&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=58&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:0,i:160

Why is it that a closed roof is fine if tethering but if freelofting an open roof is required? Is this just for the people that dont touch the bird when its in moult?

What about having an inside space like you want for tethering during the season then build an extension which is accesible through the window so you can freeloft during the moult, with an open roof

Giving your bird the choice to sit out in the weather or come in, i know my bird spends very little time in the shed part, in fact yesterday i bet is the first time in months he has brought himself in for the night due to it being very windy and raining

What about having an inside space like you want for tethering during the season then build an extension which is accesible through the window so you can freeloft during the moult, with an open roof

Giving your bird the choice to sit out in the weather or come in, i know my bird spends very little time in the shed part, in fact yesterday i bet is the first time in months he has brought himself in for the night due to it being very windy and raining

I see what you are saying but if I'm going to build an outdoor weathering pen then I might as well just put a shed on the side and have it all outside.

My concern with the weathering pen is the horror stories I've heard about using mesh.

OK, pending speaking to my mentor before I start any actual construction (its not like im in a rush!) I have decided to have a 13' x 7 Mews inside the garage, as proposed previously. I will vinyl the floor of the whole garage for ease of cleaning and I will board the roof, with plywood as well as boarding the short side and most of the long side so that there is just 3 foot of open bars where the door is to give the bird some privacy when we are in and out of the garage.

I will remove the window and put galv bars up and fit a shutter outside so that I can close this off at night to stop excessive weather getting in.

I will initially be tethering on an astro turf covered shelf perch and if/when the time comes that i decide to freeloft i will remove the bars from the window and fit an outside mesh-top weathering that the bird can fly into from the inside mews.

Photo below may explain better...

garagemews_zps0bac5ec6.png

• Like 1

looks good but if it was me i would have a little more viewing room for the bird, where the bird is sat he is only going to see very little maybe extend the bars a little, if you draw a line from the right corner of the perch to the right corner of the door the birds view is very limited, this is just me its your bird so do what you thinks best,

also if possible try and place the ferrets in the birds view it will help massively for when you begin to work the bird over them. Even if its only temporary :thumbs: