Your Mews/housing...

Gaz_1989

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded

Good luck gaz look forward to reading your journey

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment,

Posted Images

She's tethered might free loft her next year! It's roughly 5x9 as we did it our selves it's good enough for her! And she's never really in it to be fair! But I've even known people who use to box them over nigh! I'd never do it!

Tethering sounds like the easier and safer option all round. I was all for free lofting initially but I will be flying my bird 5-6 times a week in season so it's not like he/she will need the extra exercise of free lofting.

I can see the benefit when moulting as being stuck tethered on a perch must be boring as hell but I know a lad who still handles his daily during the moult with no problems.

I might go for something like a 10 x 8 shed, take the windows out and swap for bars and tether in there and then in time I could free loft during the moult. If this would be big enough to free loft in?

She's tethered might free loft her next year! It's roughly 5x9 as we did it our selves it's good enough for her! And she's never really in it to be fair! But I've even known people who use to box them over nigh! I'd never do it!

Tethering sounds like the easier and safer option all round. I was all for free lofting initially but I will be flying my bird 5-6 times a week in season so it's not like he/she will need the extra exercise of free lofting.

I can see the benefit when moulting as being stuck tethered on a perch must be boring as hell but I know a lad who still handles his daily during the moult with no problems.

I might go for something like a 10 x 8 shed, take the windows out and swap for bars and tether in there and then in time I could free loft during the moult. If this would be big enough to free loft in?

plenty pig enough to free loft in mate as most birds find there favorite perch and spend most of the day there.when i had my first mews they were 12l x 8w x 7h and the bird sat in the same perch for hours of the day and would move probably once or twice for a couple of minits lol also wat i did do was put a bird feeder on the opposite side of the garden so she could see it through the mesh and she would watch the birds feeding for hours just occasionally turning her head upside down :thumbs:

plenty pig enough to free loft in mate as most birds find there favorite perch and spend most of the day there.when i had my first mews they were 12l x 8w x 7h and the bird sat in the same perch for hours of the day and would move probably once or twice for a couple of minits lol also wat i did do was put a bird feeder on the opposite side of the garden so she could see it through the mesh and she would watch the birds feeding for hours just occasionally turning her head upside down :thumbs:

Not with my hawk lol hes up and down like a blue arsed fly, spends most of his time on the swing perch but is constantly flying to the window then back on it to get it swinging, then when it stops he does it again ha

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded area........

in season i cover open part of roof with corgated roof sheets and have boards with windows on the fround to stop driving -0 winds 2 way door system is a must and i use a feeding shut...2013-07-12081251_zps591c35ba.jpgIMAG0472_zpsd1899182.jpgIMAG0442_zpsb020985d.jpg

the 2 pics was a few year a go few things changed since then... mews size 10x8x9 overall size with weighing room 14x8x9

Edited by Alcatraz
  • Like 2

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded area........

in season i cover open part of roof with corgated roof sheets and have boards with windows on the fround to stop driving -0 winds 2 way door system is a must and i use a feeding shut...2013-07-12081251_zps591c35ba.jpgIMAG0472_zpsd1899182.jpgIMAG0442_zpsb020985d.jpg

the 2 pics was a few year a go few things changed since then... mews size 10x8x9 overall size with weighing room 14x8x9

What does that measure mate? Not including the storage bit on the side. Looks a decent setup.

Not with my hawk lol hes up and down like a blue arsed fly, spends most of his time on the swing perch but is constantly flying to the window then back on it to get it swinging, then when it stops he does it again ha

i tryed my bird on a swing perch once she hated it lol soon it moved she was off and on to her ring perch lol

thats a nice setup mate very clean and well thought out. :thumbs:

Cheers pal. Just realised you put sizes on first post :thumbs:

no prob mate if u want more pics of the actuall build just ask if that helps.....

Ok thanks pal. Will drop you a PM if I need pics of the build. Still not certain what route I'm gonna take regarding housing. So many options!

Free lofting is safer in colder weather I think but all my falcons are in my falcon room on shelf pearchs and screen perches. Really can't wait for the 12th!

Ive spoke to a few people about the risk of tethering during colder months but alot of people seem to do it with no problem.

Surely in theory the tethering perch could be placed 5 foot off the ground to keep the bird away from any ground frost?