Your Mews/housing...

Gaz_1989

Has anyone got photos of there Mews or housing?

Along with a brief description of what suits you best, ie tethered or free lofted etc.

Just looking for a few ideas and see how people do things differently.

Gaz.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine i freeloft in moult and teather in season half roof open and half closed so in the moult she can get all elements but sunlight is a must to stop pinched feathers but always have a shaded

Good luck gaz look forward to reading your journey

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment,

Posted Images

Give us half hour and i will get some pis for ya, for me its freelofted during the moult, tethered during the season.

Ok thanks.

What's the reason behind doing things that way?

And when you say tethered, is that tethered under shelter? In the same mews that it is free lofted?

For me its so i can easily get the bird, sometimes they dont want to be grabbed and hop around the aviary so tethering makes things easier, mines tethered under shelter i will show you what i mean now

15072013780_zps322747e3.jpg

15072013781_zpscfc376b0.jpg

This is where i tether the bird during the season, not everyones cup of tea but protects him from the elements and never had a problem with feather damage whatsoever

15072013783_zpsdd529bf9.jpg

He loves his swing perch lol

Oh and the cardboard is there because his favourite place to sit is up against the wall on his rope but when he faces away from the garden and when he was jumping off it he was scuffing his feathers, so put the cardboard up and sorted it out, thanks

I free loft in moult and in previous season kept tethered whilst on weight for hunting, however this year am guna stick with free loft, I got a great relationship with this bird, he is almost like an imprint in behaviour, he seeks human company and that of the dogs, he is not noisy or a screamer however he will softly call if any of us or the dogs are in the garden and he don't like to be ignored either lol but he does not go ape like some I have heard and seen before, its same in field he always seem to seek me out of follow me on, same with dogs so this year we try free lofting and also weight increase, we had mixed results last year but summat tells me we wint found perfect weight for some jobs as yet, if anything I flew him a little light and could considering his behaviour have increased his weight and maybe this would of lead to more success time will tell, will get pics up later, however he is in a 10 x 7 mews one corner is open floor to ceiling as I like him to stay familiar with the dogs , not everyone's taste but hey am not asking them to feed and fly him am I lol

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for pics "you can't hide".

It's given me a better idea than I had before.

Is the "roofless" mesh run a necessity to weather the bird or can a solid roofed run be used and wether the bird in the garden a few afternoons a week?

A mate of mine had a hawk some years back and I remember he had a 6x8 shed with mesh front where it spent most of its time free lofted and then he would tether it in the garden a few hours a day.

Is the "roofless" mesh run a necessity to weather the bird or can a solid roofed run be used and wether the bird in the garden a few afternoons a week?

A mate of mine had a hawk some years back and I remember he had a 6x8 shed with mesh front where it spent most of its time free lofted and then he would tether it in the garden a few hours a day.

My aviary is ok suits me fine, still needs the rough edges sorting, the window shutter needs replacing, the carpet for astro turf and the mesh could do with a change even though he has never once grabbed on to the bars its for my own piece of mind, when i have the funds and time i will get it done.

Regarding the roof if you are going to tether all year round then put a full roof on, if your going to freeloft the do half and half, mines loves sitting in the rain on some days, then on others he will sit in the shed all day especially when its windy.

Through the moult mine stays in the aviary permanently but in the season he is bowed out on nice days,

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

My aviary is ok suits me fine, still needs the rough edges sorting, the window shutter needs replacing, the carpet for astro turf and the mesh could do with a change even though he has never once grabbed on to the bars its for my own piece of mind, when i have the funds and time i will get it done.

Regarding the roof if you are going to tether all year round then put a full roof on, if your going to freeloft the do half and half, mines loves sitting in the rain on some days, then on others he will sit in the shed all day especially when its windy.

Through the moult mine stays in the aviary permanently but in the season he is bowed out on nice days,

Thanks. A setup similar to yours is what i had in mind. 8' x 6' shed with 8' x 10 mesh top aviary on the side. Would these sizes be ok for a female harris or redtail?

How do you find the access to the run part via the missing window? It seems a good idea?

Also how do you find not having a double access door? Alot of people seem to have these to stop any possible escapes?

Sorry for loads of questions, just trying to gain some basic knowledge.

Gaz

Thanks. A setup similar to yours is what i had in mind. 8' x 6' shed with 8' x 10 mesh top aviary on the side. Would these sizes be ok for a female harris or redtail?

How do you find the access to the run part via the missing window? It seems a good idea?

Also how do you find not having a double access door? Alot of people seem to have these to stop any possible escapes?

Sorry for loads of questions, just trying to gain some basic knowledge.

Gaz

Ye plenty big enough for both harris and redtail. Ive put the window there as i lock the bird in the shed to put his food down during the moult so he doesnt see me giving him food and prevents him screaming for a feed, as soon as i detatch the bungie cord to shut it he flies straight into the shed, never once had to place him in it.

I dont bother with the double door as he never bates to try and get out so dont need one, as long as your carefull to open and close it you will be fine, the door is only an inch bigger than i am so i can fill any space.

The good thing about being able to lock him in the shed is i can clean the aviary out with the door fully open then lock him on the outside part and clean the shed.

What bird you thinking of, a harris or red?

Be sure to pm me if you have any questions, i will try my best to answer them lol

Gives me something to do aswell ha

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

I free loft in moult and in previous season kept tethered whilst on weight for hunting, however this year am guna stick with free loft, I got a great relationship with this bird, he is almost like an imprint in behaviour, he seeks human company and that of the dogs, he is not noisy or a screamer however he will softly call if any of us or the dogs are in the garden and he don't like to be ignored either lol but he does not go ape like some I have heard and seen before, its same in field he always seem to seek me out of follow me on, same with dogs so this year we try free lofting and also weight increase, we had mixed results last year but summat tells me we wint found perfect weight for some jobs as yet, if anything I flew him a little light and could considering his behaviour have increased his weight and maybe this would of lead to more success time will tell, will get pics up later, however he is in a 10 x 7 mews one corner is open floor to ceiling as I like him to stay familiar with the dogs , not everyone's taste but hey am not asking them to feed and fly him am I lol

i had a male very similar, he was no screamer but made that grumping noise when he saw or herd you, hence the name Grump :laugh: he was more like a parrot than a bird of prey, had some great fun with that bird :thumbs:

It's a personal thing I block my falcons and freeloft my Harris hawks all year gos is tethered in the season and moulted in a skylight pen it's each to their own and what works best for you needs all my moulting pens are 8x10

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment, your birds not in it so f**k off. If it works then dont fix it and all that, dont like to see beginners slated. We all started somewhere. While i like the iff the problem is theres too many cooks if you get what i mean, too many people with too many different ways of doing things, everybody thinks there methods are right and yours are wrong, just not the case.

• Like 2

It's a personal thing I block my falcons and freeloft my Harris hawks all year gos is tethered in the season and moulted in a skylight pen it's each to their own and what works best for you needs all my moulting pens are 8x10

Pisses me off when folk say thats a bad design of mews, thats not the way to go about it, theres given advice then there is telling somebody what to do, if you dont like the design then dont comment, your birds not in it so f**k off. If it works then dont fix it and all that, dont like to see beginners slated. We all started somewhere. While i like the iff the problem is theres too many cooks if you get what i mean, too many people with too many different ways of doing things, everybody thinks there methods are right and yours are wrong, just not the case.

if you put the birds needs first then you can never be wrong :yes:

Did my comment piss you off?