Is It Legal??

Maybe you should report me to the RSPCA for humanely killing a cat and see how far those lunatics want to pursue it. I can tell you, from

personal experience, that it isn't anything that they want to get involved with.

I really shouldn't indulge you but...

Here's an actual proseuction for killing a domestic cat on a farm with a single humane shot:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/teen-could-be-jailed-for-shooting-cat-1.77764?referrerPath=home/2.1962

The guy claimed it was an accident through mistaken identity. Doesn't say the final outcome but he was found guilty of Criminal Damage and the case adjorned whilst the Courts considered whether or not to sentance him to prison.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and if you believe the RSPCA won't be bothered to pursue you, think again.

This was a case of a serving Police Officer who in the execution of his duty came across an injured cat which had been run over in the street and killied it humanely with a shovel (There's no suggestion the killing was anything less than humane).

The RSPCA pursued him for 2 years through the Courts at a cost of £50,000.

Although the Courts did aquit him, this was because:

1. The cat was mortally injured to start with

2. The guy was a serving Police Officer executing his duty in difficult circumstances (see the judges reported comments).

Therefore a Court would not likely be lenient in the case of a member of the public who killed a cat merely because it was on their land (especially bearing in mind such a killing would be unlawful in the UK)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515201/Two-years-and-50000-later-ordeal-of-policeman-who-put-dying-cat-out-of-its-misery-is-finally-over.html

I suspect you have reasons for not wishing to indulge me, as I do for you. So..................

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So by that as long as it isnt thy neighbours then its game on lol

It is up to your employer, the owner of the business, to sort it out with the cat / dog owners. Slow and irritating but that is life.   To be telling you to "shoot them on sight" is an ill thought

You should listen to Matt.   Just because someone else's property is on your property doesn't mean that it ceases to be their property. You are under an obligation to return it in good condition be

Kranky, the fact that the RSPCA chose not to pursue you doesn't make it legal.

Yes, I was a member of JS until Justin got upset about me asking if it really was sensible posting about killing game out of season.

Why? (and I'd urge caution here).

I suspect you have reasons for not wishing to indulge me, as I do for you. So..................

Yep I don't want to keep feeding the troll and wasting time on posts you clearly are going to ignore anyway.

As Matt has said, you make your own choices. At the end of the day, if you kill a non feral cat and someone reports you, it will be you left to justify your actions and it will be you facing prison not me.

Lol Dan, I tried mate but I reckon the heat got me down.

Should be near you next month. Been needing to wait til I get paid before shopping!

Made myself a second high seat last weekend. Needs finishing and netting up but should offer me some better Charlie angles.

The fallow and sika be back in then mate hope you get chance to pop in

Atb Dan

• Like 1

Yep I don't want to keep feeding the troll and wasting time on posts you clearly are going to ignore anyway.

As Matt has said, you make your own choices. At the end of the day, if you kill a non feral cat and someone reports you, it will be you left to justify your actions and it will be you facing prison not me.

Prison? Really? Stop being silly.

• Like 1

Kranky, the fact that the RSPCA chose not to pursue you doesn't make it legal.

Yes, I was a member of JS until Justin got upset about me asking if it really was sensible posting about killing game out of season.

Why? (and I'd urge caution here).

Why would you urge caution? A thinly veiled online threat? Or a misuse of power in an attempt to prove that you're correct.

You adopted much the same attitude over at JS as you do here, although you had no moderator status over there.

In real life you aren't so vocal and don't say much or challenge people. Maybe your keyboard acts as some form of security. I met you in Justin's kitchen, some years ago, after you'd given me the benefit of your pious attitude in a forum thread. You seemed humble and juxtaposed to your online persona. You didn't urge me to be cautious then.................................you just left.

I'm different to my online persona too, I speak a lot differently and I'm a little more brusque. But I will still challenge people and will stand by what I've said to people online.

Why would you urge caution? A thinly veiled online threat? Or a misuse of power in an attempt to prove that you're correct.

Why would I urge caution?

Simple answer; because certain things were said about me on that forum that were incorrect.

In fact, they were so incorrect, that I had to involve a solicitor to get them removed.

It's not a threat of any sort; I was simply urging you to show caution and restraint, and not do what J did on his forum which resulted in it being pulled and him being under the real threat of legal action.

You adopted much the same attitude over at JS as you do here, although you had no moderator status over there.

I adopt the same attitude wherever I am, and while I appreciate it isn't to everyone's liking, I am what I am, and I'm not about to start apologising for it.

In real life you aren't so vocal and don't say much or challenge people. Maybe your keyboard acts as some form of security. I met you in Justin's kitchen, some years ago, after you'd given me the benefit of your pious attitude in a forum thread. You seemed humble and juxtaposed to your online persona. You didn't urge me to be cautious then.................................you just left.

Yes, I vaguely remember meeting you. That was just after I'd taught J how to knit nets and gone out with him to help him catch his first rabbit.

I think you'll find I left for two reasons. Firstly, because good manners mean that when someone has a visitor I don't like to intrude, and secondly, because I had somewhere else to be.

I'm different to my online persona too, I speak a lot differently and I'm a little more brusque. But I will still challenge people and will stand by what I've said to people online.

Sorry, but I'm the same face to face as I am online. There are plenty of folks on this forum (and a few who have left) who have met me and can confirm that.

If you want to start some sort of character assassination, I suggest you take it to PM as it's not fair on other forum users to air your grievances with me in public.

Back to the original point; as has been pointed out to you Cats are private property no matter where they are, and killing them amounts to criminal damage. You've been shown the evidence of that and if you wish to dispute it that's fine; just do it elsewhere.

You take your own chances in life; it's up to you what you do or don't do, but please don't give wrong legal advice to other forum members.

There's no character assasination from me, i can assure you. I'm unaware of the problems that you had and if it was detrimental to your business, family or reputation, then I'd have had no part of it. I may call someone an idiot or worse, as a bit of forum banter but I'm not out to ruin anyone's life.

I'm sure you did teach him to make nets, much as I gave him his frst catapult and showed him how effective they are. His catapult business started after that.

My reference to our meeting was more to reiterate that I'm not a moron or someone who's been at this hunting lark for 5 minutes and knows it all. Maybe people calling me a troll may have been under that impression as they tried to climb up your back passage.

Anyway, to sum up, you're saying that we should kill cats discretely and not publicise the fact? I'm prepared to concede to you and take your advice. Thanks. Gotta go, I'm off to pick up a box of No. 4's and a tin of Felix.

OK, fair enough Kranky...

I don't think you are a moron, and if I've said that then I apologise :thumbs:

And no, I'm not suggesting that people kill cats discretely or otherwise.

I think everyone has had a good say on this one; time to lock up. If anyone wants it unlocked drop me a PM.