Holly Sh$T!! Mites Galore!

Hey up..

Found a few mites in the boxes I put the Roo`s away in and upon further inspection, I found a coop that was alive. So Ive torn it down and burnt it, along with a couple of small coops and transport boxes. Ive cleaned everything out and burnt the waste.

Then I gave them all a good dusting with DE and today a good spray with a concentrate.. There f***ing all over me, Im having to shower after going in with any of the birds straight away, the Mrs is going crazy and Im looking for some bigger guns!!

Heard sevin 10% is quite toxic and works better than DE, anyone know where to get some as it looks to be getting withdrawn.

Anyone else had a bad dose? How did it pan out, how did you kill them off?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you know anyone in pest control ficam w in pens problem solved..

to be honest, thats what i always used it for years ago, get a bottle of concentrate, mix with 2 galls of water and soak every nook and cranny with it inside the loft, open the wings of the birds out

when my chooks had mites a burnt the pen and put the hens in individual cardboard boxes after coating them in mite powder(not sure what make it was as was given it from old man of the allotments) i di

when my chooks had mites a burnt the pen and put the hens in individual cardboard boxes after coating them in mite powder(not sure what make it was as was given it from old man of the allotments) i did that for 3 days and ever day changed the cardboard boxes and burnt them so that when the mites came of the bird and in to the crevices of the box they were burnt after 3 days of doing this i just put them back in there new pen an in the run i put i bird bath down full of dried sand and some more of the mite powder in it for when they have a dust bath and so far so good......touch wood..........but i only had four hens so boxing them sepertly wasn't that much of a chore and my local home bargains store gave me the box,s

and as for mite control powder there is some stuff on eBay for sale which inst to price

• Like 1

when my chooks had mites a burnt the pen and put the hens in individual cardboard boxes after coating them in mite powder(not sure what make it was as was given it from old man of the allotments) i did that for 3 days and ever day changed the cardboard boxes and burnt them so that when the mites came of the bird and in to the crevices of the box they were burnt after 3 days of doing this i just put them back in there new pen an in the run i put i bird bath down full of dried sand and some more of the mite powder in it for when they have a dust bath and so far so good......touch wood..........but i only had four hens so boxing them sepertly wasn't that much of a chore and my local home bargains store gave me the box,s

and as for mite control powder there is some stuff on eBay for sale which inst to price

Sounds like a good programme bud, but Ive too many birds to even think about doing that. Been given a bit of timber, so I might have to see how far that goes.. And maybe a bit of a cull. Any news on the sevin?

• Like 1

duramitex is the mutts nuts, but you cant get it in concentrate any more, benzyl benzoate ( the dog mite stuff) is meant to be a good controler of mechanical dandruff.

• Like 1

to be honest, thats what i always used it for years ago, get a bottle of concentrate, mix with 2 galls of water and soak every nook and cranny with it inside the loft, open the wings of the birds out and dip them as well, working theyer wings in the solution like they were flying so it all went up between all the flights.brilliant stuf,,,, must have been, you cant f***ing get it any more, only in an aerosol.

• Like 2

I use sulphur Candles when I get an outbreak..also I bought a huge sack of diamitus powder and I spray every Sunday in the summer using smite one week then I use another chemical the next ......my wife has a bad reaction to there bites so I have to keep on top of them.....I also burn there bedding in my fire bin straight away when I clean them out as putting it in the compost bin was a big mistake.....ivermectin on them as well......feckin horrible when u can feel them on you

Thanks for the input lads, few things for me to try and find..

I use sulphur Candles when I get an outbreak..also I bought a huge sack of diamitus powder and I spray every Sunday in the summer using smite one week then I use another chemical the next ......my wife has a bad reaction to there bites so I have to keep on top of them.....I also burn there bedding in my fire bin straight away when I clean them out as putting it in the compost bin was a big mistake.....ivermectin on them as well......feckin horrible when u can feel them on you

Tell me about it BD, Ive been spraying them at night and were its warm you start sweating... Then you feel them crawling on your face. The Mrs is ready to get rid of the lot..

If you know anyone in pest control ficam w in pens problem solved..

You can buy it on ebay, will it defo work torchey?

Just looked on ebay :icon_eek: didn,t realise anyone could buy it ,that aside it slaughters them :thumbs: