Alright chaps,well i finally got this little aviary finished i just thought id try and get a few answers to some pretty daft questions :icon_redface:

My mate brought me round a few tree stumps that i wanted to try and blend into the aviary......it was just an excuse to be let loose with a chainsaw really but i got a bit carried away and started cutting out all intricate shapes to put little food bowls on !

Im quite happy with how its turned out just wished id done it bigger now as i dont think it will be long before my interest outgrows this little one.......anyway a couple of daft questions.....ive put a pyrex dish thing in as a birdbath ( couldnt find anything else )........but the birds keep drinking it and havent yet clocked there actual drinker which is the red thing over on the shelf.....will they suss it out eventually or just carry on drinking shitty bath water ?......also,these swinging feeders......do you still need to blow the husks off or do they sling them out themself,they seem to be trying to get in it rather than eat from it i wondered if they are trying to get to fresh seed maybe.

Feel free to critisize anything i might of got wrong i wont take offence .....Its a first effort for me and been years since i had a hammer and nails in my hands :D .....do you think ive gone a bit over the top with the conifers the mrs liked it better without any but they seem to like playing about in it and taking cover etc............many thanks to you boys who helped with advice over the weeks as well :thumbs: ....much obliged.

aviarydone_zpsa8de8902.jpg

aviarydone_zps2a502dc6.jpg

avinew_zpsa80b46fb.jpg

aviarybirds_zpsae7db746.jpg

And dont laugh !!......I know they are only crappy little Canaries.....but they are MY crappy little canaries :laugh:

• Like 4

Looks mint gnash thay will sus the drinker out mate I av hanging drinkers and a bird bath but thay still drink from both lol I give my feeders a quick blow out every other day when there ready to breed next Year stick some conifers in pots the canaries love to nest in them

• Like 1

The only worry i'd have if i were you is that West Ham stay up this season or not :whistling: and if there is something to change then maybe a little shade so they can get out the sun if needed,but that Gnasher is first class :toast: . As for the feeder then yeah every few days just blow round the bowl and as with all canaries they will see a seed and want that one so will try to chuck out all the others and that's why these hanging feeders are so good as they don't allow it with the feeding holes they have and if yor worried about the water then buy a hanging water drinker as well and put down a paint roller tray as a bird bath,most of mine drink from their baths as well as the water drinkers and well,best of luck in changing their minds about that one :laugh: .

One other thing no bird is crappy in this section and don't you forget it :censored::laugh::laugh::laugh: .

Very nicely done, gnasher! Its making me feel like starting up again. I always think aviaries are a bit like sheds in that they can never be too big! I bet it will not be long before you start building an extension now that you have been bitten by the bug!

The only worry i'd have if i were you is that West Ham stay up this season or not :whistling: and if there is something to change then maybe a little shade so they can get out the sun if needed,but that Gnasher is first class :toast: . As for the feeder then yeah every few days just blow round the bowl and as with all canaries they will see a seed and want that one so will try to chuck out all the others and that's why these hanging feeders are so good as they don't allow it with the feeding holes they have and if yor worried about the water then buy a hanging water drinker as well and put down a paint roller tray as a bird bath,most of mine drink from their baths as well as the water drinkers and well,best of luck in changing their minds about that one :laugh: .

One other thing no bird is crappy in this section and don't you forget it :censored::laugh::laugh::laugh: .

Stay up......we,re knocking on the door for Europe son ! :D .......Mind you i dont feel much of a fan at the mo i havent seen a ball kicked yet this season.......yep i did think that about shade,short of draping something over the roof im not really sure how though......i suppose some big bit of ply in the corner maybe.......its only really in full sun for a few hours per day but still maybe it needs addressing,cheers :thumbs: .......as for the drinkers both yourself and Rex26 mention the hanging drinkers......are they the same as the feeders just without the holes ?.....when i bought the feeder i had 2 in my hand thinking 1 food 1 water but the bloke said it would be no good as if a few birds were on it at the same time it would tip up and the water would come out,hence i bought the red thing instead......ta for the comments men.....and talt your right i dont think it will be long before im making bigger plans :D

I'd look for the shadiest corner and just put some board up on the inside of the roof Gnasher,it don't need much but there's still some good heat in the sun and a bit of shade just gives them a choice,i'd also put down a paint tray or another tray as a bird bath as they are moulting at the moment and they will try to bathe in any bit of water and that's why there all messing up your drinker at the moment and you can allways put your hanging drinker(yes the ones without the holes :thumbs: ) on a stump rather than hang it so it don't tip,but the fella is right they can all pile on one side and empty out at times.

And do i spy a mule or two in there as well? :hmm:

If the sun hits the side of the aviary and not the top then you could always make a removable sun screen out of black scrim so that when the sun is hitting the aviary put the sun screen up and when it isn't pull it back down that way you haven't got a permenant sun shade spoiling the look of your aviary .........

• Like 2

I'd look for the shadiest corner and just put some board up on the inside of the roof Gnasher,it don't need much but there's still some good heat in the sun and a bit of shade just gives them a choice,i'd also put down a paint tray or another tray as a bird bath as they are moulting at the moment and they will try to bathe in any bit of water and that's why there all messing up your drinker at the moment and you can allways put your hanging drinker(yes the ones without the holes :thumbs: ) on a stump rather than hang it so it don't tip,but the fella is right they can all pile on one side and empty out at times.

And do i spy a mule or two in there as well? :hmm:

Good idea that spose i can just take it down towards the end of summer........i was thinking about cutting a small hole in the door and putting some kind of big box on the back of the door maybe with a heater in for winter......would that make sense or overkill ?...........Bought a hanging drinker today and just put it on the shelf they sussed it straight away...............ive 1 mule in there bought for me by a good chap off here as it happens.......only trouble is its a hen so just have to admire her good looks...........hopefully have a few in here next year as im determined to find myself a little Goldfinch at some point.

The hole and the box bit would work but not as a dark box,the birds won't go into a dark box really but they would go through into a cage as long as there was some light so they could see type thing.Canaries are finches but just very tamed and changed about by man but finches in general don't really use a dark box either to roost or nest in.In one of my flights i have knocked a hole in the wall into a shed and i have a big cage on the inside and some use it,some don't even on the coldest or windiest nights.But they have a choice but heating won't be needed for your birds as there outside and are moulting to be outside so there'll be fine as they are,just the plenty of cover to keep them out the wind and the roof will keep them dry.The only heating i would like to suss is how to stop a water drinker freezing in the winter,suss that one and your'll have a market that's for sure :yes:,did see that mule and hen or not she's a nice little thing and its all about what pleases the man who feeds them and his eye and she's a pretty little thing.Now were getting there with the goldie and some mules but the purists will say your'll ruin the mule song with the canary cocks in there with them but feck them anyway :laugh: and go for it,but what you want is a young cock bird(a 2013 bird would be perfect really,young with no known faults type thing :thumbs: ) and the rings have a year date stamp on them to check with,old birds may come with problems from a stranger :yes: ,