Squirrel Hawking

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's like any part of falconry you get your bird for the type of quarry you have and a male Harris is not the bird for squirrels I couldn't fly a male at them nowing what could happen not worth the da

Redtailvfor squirrels. I would not use a male HH

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I

Yes it was a hard decision to make, even thought about a male gos for a bit, but as I love my lamping a gos is out really, and as I really like squirrel hawking as well everything just kept saying redtail, have to say they do look the business on kills,and that footing power is awesome, I just hope the stories I might relate don't consist mainly of me spending hours under trees swinging a lure lol :hmm:

• Like 1

Yes it was a hard decision to make, even thought about a male gos for a bit, but as I love my lamping a gos is out really, and as I really like squirrel hawking as well everything just kept saying redtail, have to say they do look the business on kills,and that footing power is awesome, I just hope the stories I might relate don't consist mainly of me spending hours under trees swinging a lure lol :hmm:

i hope not aswell lol, its a b*****d that only happened once, sat under the same tree for hours then at last light decided to go home and come back first thing and the f****r followed me down to my feet lol

We shall see how it goes, but I know the males are a bit more biddable than the females, the thing with redtails is all about finding a weight they will fly at then repetition and good rewards, the mistake is to keep dropping the weight, then they get dangerous, or go into fasting mode.

• Like 1

It's like any part of falconry you get your bird for the type of quarry you have and a male Harris is not the bird for squirrels I couldn't fly a male at them nowing what could happen not worth the danger male red on squirrels now were talking!

• Like 3

I would have thought that if a hawk caught enough squirrels it would eventually get bitten. At times they will not be able to grab the head and at other times will land on soft or uneven ground. I imagine it would be pure luck for a hawk to do a lot of squirrelling and not get bit at all. Every now and then one of my dogs would take a few bites getting a rat out of a tight spot etc but would kill its next twenty with not a scratch. There are several factors that play their part when hunting quarry that can bite back.

It might be different with hawks than dogs but I can't see how, the totally committed animal grabs whatever part it can on any terrain.

It's out of our hands anyway with a free flying bird all we can do to assist best we can.

Yes of course it is a chance, everytime you slip your dog, bird,whatever, but if you did not take any chances you would never work your animals, I have always thought it a risk worth taking, some may not,shit happens if the dog/bird/horse ect gets killed or injured doing what it does then so be it, life is full of risks.

• Like 1

I agree, working animals face injury and death every time they go out. I've had my own terrier die to ground and a lurcher break its neck plus other fairly nasty accidents. All we can do are minimise the risks by being able to control the biting squirrel ASAP.

• Like 1

Well come October ill be hunting [BANNED TEXT] ever she wants to have this will be my fhh 3rd season and I'm going for it now on I had to seasons nice and steady 24 rabbits 5 squirels a fair few pheasants season just gone 50 rabbits no squirels but a lot more pheasants 1 partridge to chickens they were not intended so ill keep u chaps up to date come the season ! Atb

• Like 1

It's like any part of falconry you get your bird for the type of quarry you have and a male Harris is not the bird for squirrels I couldn't fly a male at them nowing what could happen not worth the danger male red on squirrels now were talking!

Your bang on. A male harris is an accident waiting to happen. Strongly advise against if its a male as they arent strong enough or big enough to take a squirrel confidently. YOu need the right bird for the job , female harris or a red and then only if the bird meets a certain criteria.

Your bang on. A male harris is an accident waiting to happen. Strongly advise against if its a male as they arent strong enough or big enough to take a squirrel confidently. YOu need the right bird for the job , female harris or a red and then only if the bird meets a certain criteria.

decided against it bud, unless it happens by accident i aint going out looking for trouble