Squirrel Hawking

Has anybody done any squirrel hawking, im hoping to at least get one next season with mine just to tick another species of the list so to speak ha, im thinking of shooting big stones into dreys to get them moving? any tips? as i think most know i fly a male harris, do you think it would be ok to fly him at one and also has anybody had any injuries whilst flying squirrels, i know it only takes one bite but without risk theres no reward. thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's like any part of falconry you get your bird for the type of quarry you have and a male Harris is not the bird for squirrels I couldn't fly a male at them nowing what could happen not worth the da

Redtailvfor squirrels. I would not use a male HH

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I

Mine caught one in deep snow last season, or rather she caught it on a branch and landed in the snow.Due to her not being able to get a proper grip she was bitten on both feet. I panicked a bit but cleaned her up and treat the wounds like I would do on any animal. I kept a close eye on her and she was fine though some of the scabs remained for the rest of the season.

She flew two more but didn't catch them, great to watch,,,,,,, terrifying when it goes a bit wrong.

It's something that seems to create big debates when it crops up on forums but I can't see how it can be avoided if hunting in many parts of Britain with a free flying hawk.

I wouldn't actively go out hunting them personally with a male see lots of reds do it and do it well. If he was to hit the head all good but I've seen a male that had his whole foot from the ankle bit off

jesus never heard of anything that bad, ive been reading about falconers in certain states that solely fly squirrels with harris hawk mostly female but a few males, and theyve never had serious injuries, but like youve seen it only takes that one bite, probably leave it then, maybe if i come across a drey i will see what comes out if i think the hawk has a decent chance i will see what happens, probably on a smaller squirrel, im assuming male squirrels are bigger and will fight harder?

my fhh fly 4 squirrel last season and got 2 of them both big greys very exciting flights on squireels i wouldnt personally go out looking for them but they can never be avoided in most parts of this country. It was a big rat what was the problem for me my fhh gpt hold of the back end of a huge long tail and it turned on her and bit her foot but she made the kill seconds after she realise what was goin on. She didnt stop bleeding for ages i cleaned it down and took her to the vet which they treated with some sort of cristal stuff an anticeptic treatment which cleared up great but the scab stayd there for a couple of month.

Out with a hawk i saw squirrels where I'd never seen them in a decade of going on the same land with dogs. They would be impossible to avoid.However I do very little hunting in woodland so I won't run into many.

Out with a hawk i saw squirrels where I'd never seen them in a decade of going on the same land with dogs. They would be impossible to avoid.However I do very little hunting in woodland so I won't run into many.

alot of my hunting is woodland, although ive seldom seen squirrels around here i think its because i havent looked for them, i know it might sound daft to some but i do wont to get one with the hawk not only to experience that type of hunting but also to know that the hawk has caught another species, so far its rabbits, 2 pheasants and 2 pigeon. would like to add squirrel, duck, moorhen and coot. i know partridge can be taken but i dont know if it would happen, he did grab what i think was a woodcock that was carrying a baby then when the adult dropped the baby he went for it giving the woodcock the chance to grab the chick and go. hawk didnt have a clue what happened he just sat there looking confused ha all my hawking has been based around rabbits so i would like to branch out a bit and try different sides of hawking and the harris is the perfect hawk to do it, i think i will stay away from rats though not my type of thing being up close to one whilst its still alive

The squirrel hunts I saw last season with mine were by far the most exciting. I can understand you wanting to get different things as I'm exactly the same, especially with my fishing.

My hawk took rabbit, squirrel, pigeon, pheasant and moorhen last season. I expect her species list will rise next season.

The squirrel hunts I saw last season with mine were by far the most exciting. I can understand you wanting to get different things as I'm exactly the same, especially with my fishing.

My hawk took rabbit, squirrel, pigeon, pheasant and moorhen last season. I expect her species list will rise next season.

agree witht the above when my female Harris discovered them she was in her element, never seen her take to something with so much venom, worked herself into a right state trying to hold it and kill it, fast and furious action, great to watch, but ya hearts in ya mouth cos you know only too well the damage they can do, chaps a good idea if they about on your hunting ground

Just spoke to a old friend about his male Harris on squirrels he wishes he never did it as when fling in the woods for rabbits etc when he misses he then goes up into the canopy searching dreys out I thing to out to try duck moorhen this year mate don't bother with the squirrels. I do like Cajun squirrel tho:)

• Like 1

Chaps seem to split opinion as well, the toes are exposed either way and if there's a chance of the chap hindering the bird it's not ideal.

Can a hawk catch leptospirosis from a rat bite like people and dogs can? Or do they have some natural resistance to it.