The Bowkett Blueprint Service - Is It Worth It?

Guest scramble

the tolerances to which rifles are made is, or should dictate the price you pay new. Now if your a company making these rifles, you spend an extra 3-4 hours hand fettling each gun, thats almost half a days labour for each gun, almost 50% extra on rent,fuel lighting, wages etc

Take the tin can you drive to work every day, made to the same basic tolerances, or should we all expect F1 standard engineering from a PRODUCTION LINE product???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .   Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made

If I can just add...while there is no doubt about JB's knowledge and craftmanship when it comes to pcp's I feel that these rifles should never have needed such extra work carried out in order to perfo

i've got better things to do with my time than wash and weigh pellets, lifes too short FFS i want to shoot the thing not spend my free time masturbating over how clean my pellets are.

Depends I suppose.. are these guns being made by gunsmiths or by production like workers simply putting parts together?

after a blueprint you have a rifle made by a gunsmith :thumbs: and for that im willing to pay

Edited by AR177
  • Like 1
Guest scramble

Depends I suppose.. are these guns being made by gunsmiths or by production like workers simply putting parts together?

after a blueprint you have a rifle made by a gunsmith :thumbs: and for that im willing to pay

your not looking at the bigger picture mate, its not about putting these things together, its the cost of manufacturing the vital components to the tolerances your looking for after someone's fettled it by hand for hours on end. these rifles will be made on cnc machines and the allowable tolerances will be given with the plans. for instance you ask me to make you something from mild steel, you give me tolerances of 40 thou i'll give you a price, then you ask for the same thing to be made but with a tolerance of a micron i'll give you a price that'll make you throw up :thumbs:

• Like 1

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .

Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made a mistake in letting the `blueprint ` reputation become almost legenday , no matter how you look at it , if your rifle needs x amount spent on it to get the parts within certain tollerances , then someone somewhere isnt doing their job right mate.

Wouldn't you say the same could be said with Theobans playing off the name of the Rapid 7 to produce some dodgy workmanship and a customer relationship that seemed at times to be a suck it or see ?

I'd say that most blokes who buy a rifle will end up getting a modification done to it due to personal preferences 99% of the time.

My rifles that I own certainly didn't need any work doing to them to get them shooting properly in my opinion but it was something that I felt needed doing to give me that little bit more.

At the end of the day be it BSA, Theoban, Weihrauch or Air Arms you can guaranty that what one person likes another will hate.

your not looking at the bigger picture mate, its not about putting these things together, its the cost of manufacturing the vital components to the tolerances your looking for after someone's fettled it by hand for hours on end. these rifles will be made on cnc machines and the allowable tolerances will be given with the plans. for instance you ask me to make you something from mild steel, you give me tolerances of 40 thou i'll give you a price, then you ask for the same thing to be made but with a tolerance of a micron i'll give you a price that'll make you throw up :thumbs:

Thats a very valid point and is one of the reasons that fettling and blueprinting is so popular !

I'm not sure that rifles could be made to such a high standard on a production line anyway, not without the companies putting the price of the rifles up considerable.

Guest scramble

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .

Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made a mistake in letting the `blueprint ` reputation become almost legenday , no matter how you look at it , if your rifle needs x amount spent on it to get the parts within certain tollerances , then someone somewhere isnt doing their job right mate.

Wouldn't you say the same could be said with Theobans playing off the name of the Rapid 7 to produce some dodgy workmanship and a customer relationship that seemed at times to be a suck it or see ?

I'd say that most blokes who buy a rifle will end up getting a modification done to it due to personal preferences 99% of the time.

My rifles that I own certainly didn't need any work doing to them to get them shooting properly in my opinion but it was something that I felt needed doing to give me that little bit more.

At the end of the day be it BSA, Theoban, Weihrauch or Air Arms you can guaranty that what one person likes another will hate.

customer service is a whole different thread ;) we are all different, some want to shoot a nats cock at 60 meters but for the main most people are happy to go out and bowl a few bunnies over for the pot or a bit of sport/target shooting which is what these guns were made for. Each to their own i say, but i think £150-200 for someone to pay that much attention to detail on your gun is cheap, no matter what you paid for it new/secondhand. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I fully understand mate, and perhaps my comment was a little wayward.

The comment was more that im willing to pay to have my rifle to the exact tolerances expected of a rifle that has been precision made by a guy who knows exactly what he is doing

and that for me is worth the money compared to buying a new gun such as a hw100

Guest scramble

Thats a very valid point and is one of the reasons that fettling and blueprinting is so popular !

I'm not sure that rifles could be made to such a high standard on a production line anyway, not without the companies putting the price of the rifles up considerable.

Anything can be made to that standard, but it'll take 10 times longer and 100x more cash to get it produced. :thumbs:

Anything can be made to that standard, but it'll take 10 times longer and 100x more cash to get it produced. :thumbs:

To true thats why JB blueprinting is such a bargain when you think about it, first off you've proberly bought a second hand rifle anyway so your already quids in and might as well spend it on a bit of tuning.

This beats buying a new rifle any day ! :thumbs:

Guest scramble

The comment was more that im willing to pay to have my rifle to the exact tolerances expected of a rifle that has been precision made by a guy who knows exactly what he is doing

i agree with what your saying i was just getting at the fact some people expect a gun to be flawless when it comes of the production line. i've had lots of airguns, a few springers, s400, s410 HW100 etc i was happy with how most performed and i worked around their flaws, would i get a rifle fettled?? if i was into my airguns a bit more then dam right i would :yes: but for now i'm more than happy with my little S200. :D

• Like 2

i agree with what your saying i was just getting at the fact some people expect a gun to be flawless when it comes of the production line. i've had lots of airguns, a few springers, s400, s410 HW100 etc i was happy with how most performed and i worked around their flaws, would i get a rifle fettled?? if i was into my airguns a bit more then dam right i would :yes: but for now i'm more than happy with my little S200. :D

It makes the mind boggle when you think how much some lads will moan if a rifle cant hold a 5 pence group at 40 meters straight out of the box mate !

It makes the mind boggle when you think how much some lads will moan if a rifle cant hold a 5 pence group at 40 meters straight out of the box mate !

50m...

:laugh::thumbs: just joking

• Like 1

50m...

:laugh::thumbs: just joking

:laugh:

Guest scramble

yeah and they want it all for £500 :blink: