The Bowkett Blueprint Service - Is It Worth It?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .   Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made

If I can just add...while there is no doubt about JB's knowledge and craftmanship when it comes to pcp's I feel that these rifles should never have needed such extra work carried out in order to perfo

i've got better things to do with my time than wash and weigh pellets, lifes too short FFS i want to shoot the thing not spend my free time masturbating over how clean my pellets are.

If I can just add...while there is no doubt about JB's knowledge and craftmanship when it comes to pcp's I feel that these rifles should never have needed such extra work carried out in order to perform like this...they should've left the factory like this.

I bought my mk3 BBK for 400 quid. It shoots well but should be better.

I think a blueprint costs around 125 + vat + 50 postage both ways if you live a bit away. So based on that I would say a blueprint isn't really worth the money as you could buy a very good theoben or HW100 for the cost of an older rifle + blueprint costs.

I spoke to John about getting mine done though decided against it because of the cost involved.

I'm in no way havin a pop at JB or his work as I've read more than enough to know what he can do with these rifles...more a dig at BSA for not puttin them out as he designed them. These were flagship rifles at the time with a 700 quid price tag.

Just my opinion troops...no offence to anyone ;-)

To be fair though I know a few lads that have had work done to HW100's and Rapid 7's in order to get them shooting right.

BSA Super 10's shoot fine out of the box when you could buy them new, its just that having a blueprint turns a good rifle into a fantastic rifle !

If I can just add...while there is no doubt about JB's knowledge and craftmanship when it comes to pcp's I feel that these rifles should never have needed such extra work carried out in order to perform like this...they should've left the factory like this.

I think a blueprint costs around 125 + vat + 50 postage both ways if you live a bit away. So based on that I would say a blueprint isn't really worth the money as you could buy a very good theoben or HW100 for the cost of an older rifle + blueprint costs.

I spoke to John about getting mine done though decided against it because of the cost involved.

I'm in no way havin a pop at JB or his work as I've read more than enough to know what he can do with these rifles...more a dig at BSA for not puttin them out as he designed them. These were flagship rifles at the time with a 700 quid price tag.

To be fair though I know a few lads that have had work done to HW100's and Rapid 7's in order to get them shooting right.

BSA Super 10's shoot fine out of the box when you could buy them new, its just that having a blueprint turns a good rifle into a fantastic rifle !

I don't doubt that for a second mate but how often do we hear about Rapids, HW's, S410's or any other pcp for that matter being "blueprinted"? Not very often as they usually shoot superb from the box...except maybe for a few. It just seems to be BSA's. That seems to be (going by by what i've read anyway) because BSA made a lot of changes to Johns teams original designs...and of course mass production creates flaws :thumbs:

I bought my mk3 BBK from a guy that bought it new and it does shoot really well...certainly outshoots me. I personally don't see the point in me spending the 400 that i paid for it and another 150-200 on a blueprint. I'd rather sell it and buy a HW100 which is what i'll probably do. Great if you go for it...just not for me :thumbs:

I don't doubt that for a second mate but how often do we hear about Rapids, HW's, S410's or any other pcp for that matter being "blueprinted"? Not very often as they usually shoot superb from the box...except maybe for a few. It just seems to be BSA's. That seems to be (going by by what i've read anyway) because BSA made a lot of changes to Johns teams original designs...and of course mass production creates flaws :thumbs:

I bought my mk3 BBK from a guy that bought it new and it does shoot really well...certainly outshoots me. I personally don't see the point in me spending the 400 that i paid for it and another 150-200 on a blueprint. I'd rather sell it and buy a HW100 which is what i'll probably do. Great if you go for it...just not for me :thumbs:

I sold both of my HW100's due to little flaws that I couldn't put up with ! :whistling:

How about HW100 barrels coming lose due to only having 1 tiny little grub screw holding them in place ?

Or the barrel band thats attached to the air cylinder ?

A rifle block thats not one unit and is held together by only 2 bolts at the very bottom of the block ?

The list of little niggles could go on..........

Just Goggle HW100 Leaking Air and see how many hits you get ! :laugh::whistling::icon_eek:

I'm now the proud owner not one but two BSA Super-10's mk3 and both have been sent for a bit of JB treatment. :thumbs:

But thats just me. :D

Each to their own as they say and opinions are like assholes. :laugh:

I sold both of my HW100's due to little flaws that I couldn't put up with ! :whistling:

How about HW100 barrels coming lose due to only having 1 tiny little grub screw holding them in place ?

Or the barrel band thats attached to the air cylinder ?

A rifle block thats not one unit and is held together by only 2 bolts at the very bottom of the block ?

The list of little niggles could go on..........

Just Goggle HW100 Leaking Air and see how many hits you get ! :laugh::whistling::icon_eek:

I'm now the proud owner not one but two BSA Super-10's mk3 and both have been sent for a bit of JB treatment. :thumbs:

But thats just me. :D

Each to their own as they say and opinions are like assholes. :laugh:

Good stuff mate :thumbs:

If you go on the rapid forum near enough every rapid on there has had some sort of tweak or mod done to it, many many of them have been fettled with and original parts changed for after market upgrades, there not all originals out of the box

Fair enough if its not for you having it tuned

But spending 220 (what i bought mine for) + the blueprint vs buying a HW is practically the same thing and IMO the HW isnt the better rifle out of the two

I appreciate your comments about it shouldn't need to be done but you have to remember these rifles are quite old now and maybe if they were still being made with all the advances in technology and production equipment could have ironed out a lot of the mass manufacturing issues...that's just speculation but not unrealistic

But id rather keep my s10 and blueprint it as IMO its already a better rifle and blueprinting it just makes it better

For the cost of a HW100 I can have my s10 probably better and get a lifetime guarantee on all the work :thumbs:

Each to their own as has been said, Im on the blueprint side for this one though :laugh:

Edited by AR177
  • Like 1

If you go on the rapid forum near enough every rapid on there has had some sort of tweak or mod done to it, many many of them have been fettled with and original parts changed for after market upgrades, there not all originals out of the box

Fair enough if its not for you having it tuned

But spending 220 (what i bought mine for) + the blueprint vs buying a HW is practically the same thing and IMO the HW isnt the better rifle out of the two

I appreciate your comments about it shouldn't need to be done but you have to remember these rifles are quite old now and maybe if they were still being made with all the advances in technology and production equipment could have ironed out a lot of the mass manufacturing issues...that's just speculation but not unrealistic

But id rather keep my s10 and blueprint it as IMO its already a better rifle and blueprinting it just makes it better

For the cost of a HW100 I can have my s10 probably better and get a lifetime guarantee on all the work :thumbs:

:clapper:+1

The only german gun I own now is a HW77 as I do believe that Weihrauch make the best springers bar none.

But if it's PCP it has to be a BSA Super-10 mk3. :toast:

Good stuff mate. Those were just my opinions. Spoke to John and a few other tuners and it just wasn't for me. If i'm really honest i would have gave it more thought if John was just down the road but the extra 50 quid to and from put it at more than i though it was worth :thumbs:

However you do mention that the S10 is quite old now and with the advances in technology things could possibly have been better...BSA kinda made an arse of things with the mk1 R10 also. Whether that was the same situation...changes in design...mass production flaws, i don't knowbut there was certainly lots of issues with it :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thats the thing with Rapids though Adam , you can make them exactly how you want them , or leave well alone . The `tweeks and mods ` are mostly personal preference though mate .

Are Rapid spares a problem to source now that productions moved to the states ?

Thats the thing with Rapids though Adam , you can make them exactly how you want them , or leave well alone . The `tweeks and mods ` are mostly personal preference though mate .

Fully appreciate that buster mate,

but Is that not the same as sending it for a blueprint or just keeping it as a regular s10? or sending a rapid off for KevG to fettle and just keeping it 'out the box'?

at the end of the day whatever anyone does to a rifle is personal preference and im not saying you should or shouldn't have it done or just buy a new rifle all together, just putting it out there that I would blueprint it as I believe its worth it :thumbs:

• Like 1

Are Rapid spares a problem to source now that productions moved to the states ?

I think there are quite a few people making after market products or making reproductions of the original parts so if you need a part someone can make the part for you

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .

Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made a mistake in letting the `blueprint ` reputation become almost legenday , no matter how you look at it , if your rifle needs x amount spent on it to get the parts within certain tollerances , then someone somewhere isnt doing their job right mate.

• Like 5

No mate , there`s plenty avaliable . Also plenty of people out just to make money from it so look carefully where you go .

Adam , yes i see your point buddy , but i think the BSA`s have kinda made a mistake in letting the `blueprint ` reputation become almost legenday , no matter how you look at it , if your rifle needs x amount spent on it to get the parts within certain tollerances , then someone somewhere isnt doing their job right mate.

fully agree again mate

And straight out of the box I wouldn't be too impressed, but being as I bought it second hand and i've got the chance for the guy who designed the rifle to fettle it and turn it into an fac with a new reg.. ill take him up on that one

If i was paying 600 / 700 outright I would expect everything to be in tolerance without flaw.

Edited by AR177

Agree with the above. I think there's a difference between having a rifle fettled with and having it sent to the original designer to alter it to what it should be like. To what i can gather the people that are at fault are BSA imho ;)

• Like 1