Gwp's Cross Labs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a GWP x lab and she is my best dog. great nose, hunts, points, retrieves , endless energy and kills vermin. as a keeper she is everything i need. Im not interested in a dog to show off sending

I have a labradoodle that will pluck and oven ready a shot bird but a pricked bird will be given a sling and painkillers until it is better. Helluva dog!!

had this coversation with a fella who has kept german pointers along time and he says that a even a deceent german pointer coming on a pricked bird left behind by someone else will not point it but go

Has anyone used this cross and if so how do they go compared to either pure breed, cheers.

Why would you want to cross them? A good GWP will do anything a lab can and a lot more.

TC

Tiercel,

Your first point is valid,myself can't understand why some one would want to cross s gundog breed,each has their own place..

As for your second point.I wouldn't train nor expect a Lab to quarter and point nor would I expect a pointer to retrieve a runner 600yrds away over wire fences and burns...

Has anyone used this cross and if so how do they go compared to either pure breed, cheers.

Why would you want to cross them? A good GWP will do anything a lab can and a lot more.

TC

:laugh:

TC

Tiercel,

Your first point is valid,myself can't understand why some one would want to cross s gundog breed,each has their own place..

As for your second point.I wouldn't train nor expect a Lab to quarter and point nor would I expect a pointer to retrieve a runner 600yrds away over wire fences and burns...

Blind retrieve over water, ok only training a young dog. But he went on to retrieve better than most Labs, and found 'lost' birds better than all the spaniels on the shoot. Sadly I lost him to lung worm when he was just 4 years old.

I have had a couple of GWP and they are all different none of them have the same strength in each disapline.

The problem with a lot of people is they do not trust the dog to do what it can do, a lot of people who I have picked up with are nothing but control freaks. It is though they have to be seen in control and the dog has to do what they say. To a certain extent you must have the dog under control, but being in control does not mean your on the whistle every time the dog moves. It looks flashy but does not find lost birds.

I have lost count of the times when a dog is on the scent of a wounded bird the handler has different ideas to where the bird is to the dog and they have pulled them off the scent, instead of trusting the dog, and that goes for all breeds.

2005_1203marsh0007.jpg

2005_1203marsh0008.jpg

2005_1203marsh0009.jpg

2005_1203marsh0018.jpg

2005_1203marsh0019.jpg

The gutter at that point with the tide in is about 25 yards across.

TC

Edited by tiercel

TC

Tiercel,

Blind retrieve over water, ok only training a young dog. But he went on to retrieve better than most Labs, and found 'lost' birds better than all the spaniels on the shoot. Sadly I lost him to lung worm when he was just 4 years old.

I have had a couple of GWP and they are all different none of them have the same strength in each disapline.

The problem with a lot of people is they do not trust the dog to do what it can do, a lot of people who I have picked up with are nothing but control freaks. It is though they have to be seen in control and the dog has to do what they say. To a certain extent you must have the dog under control, but being in control does not mean your on the whistle every time the dog moves. It looks flashy but does not find lost birds.

I have lost count of the times when a dog is on the scent of a wounded bird the handler has different ideas to where the bird is to the dog and they have pulled them off the scent, instead of trusting the dog, and that goes for all breeds.

2005_1203marsh0007.jpg

2005_1203marsh0008.jpg

2005_1203marsh0009.jpg

2005_1203marsh0019.jpg

TC

Well that's a lot better than your last statement... Lol

I agree with you on the handling of dogs. I get my dogs to where I last saw the bird drop and then its up to them. Countless times I've seen dogs over worked. I just wait till they give up and go get it...:-)

• Like 1

TC

Tiercel,

2005_1203marsh0007.jpg

2005_1203marsh0008.jpg

2005_1203marsh0009.jpg

2005_1203marsh0019.jpg

TC

Well that's a lot better than your last statement... Lol

I agree with you on the handling of dogs. I get my dogs to where I last saw the bird drop and then its up to them. Countless times I've seen dogs over worked. I just wait till they give up and go get it...:-)

As Punch said !

Thats the way to do it !

Most of the time the dogs seen as much as me regarding the fall,it shouldn't be asking me for help....

But it is nice to also be able to nail a dog down on a Tucked in bird !!

Spot on Mr Legend Larsson...

Edited by camokev64
  • Like 1
Tiercel,

Why? Does the title HPR not give you a clue as to what the dogs in the right hands can do?

TC

Edited by tiercel

Tiercel,

Why? Does the title HPR not give you a clue as to what the dogs in the right hands can do?

TC

Like i said each breed to their own specialty,i`ve only seen 2 HPR breeds actually used in the picking up mode.And while we are on the subject of picking up..there are 2 categories of picking up, hoovers and pickers up for long distance birds that have flown on !" Each picker up plays a very important part on the shoot day of which the shoot could not function efficiently without the two working together "..

But reading,and as you seem to be an exponent of the HPR breed could you answer me this question :" In the right hands " does the HPR dog know the difference between wounded game and game just sitting tight..As i have little experience of the breed,i was just asking your advice.

Thanks...

Edited by camokev64

Tiercel,

TC

Like i said each breed to their own specialty,i`ve only seen 2 HPR breeds actually used in the picking mode.And while we are on the subject of picking up..there are 2 types of picking up, hoovers and long distance birds that have flown on !" Each picker plays a very important part on the shoot day of which the shoot could not function efficiently "..

But reading as you seem to be an exponent of the HPR breed could you answer me this question : In the right hands does the dog know the difference between wounded game and for example game sitting tight..As i have little experience of the breed,i was just asking your advice.

Thanks...

Hi, 1 0f my gwp and wee gwp x can tell the difference between wounded and sitting game. If they come on a pricked bird and it runnes or tries to fly they wont stop till they pick it, but if they come on a healthy bird and it runs they are not pushed on chasing it down, cheers.

I think unless you actually have a GWP you don't realise how good at retrieving they are and how much brains they have.

Sorry..... Don't believe you.

But reading as you seem to be an exponent of the HPR breed could you answer me this question : In the right hands does the dog know the difference between wounded game and for example game sitting tight..As i have little experience of the breed,i was just asking your advice.

Thanks...

Hi, 1 0f my gwp and wee gwp x can tell the difference between wounded and sitting game. If they come on a pricked bird and it runnes or tries to fly they wont stop till they pick it, but if they come on a healthy bird and it runs they are not pushed on chasing it down, cheers.

I think unless you actually have a GWP you don't realise how good at retrieving they are and how much brains they have.

Wideboy,

I am not favoring any breed of dog against the other,just quite simply explaining that each dog excels in it`s own field,"excuse the pun".I run both Spaniels and Labs..and use them according to their strengths....

If you choose to answer the question posed,please read it again and give the answer NOT change the senario ! "sitting and alive" wounded or not being the key words..

Hope this clarifies things a bit better...

Also it wasn't me who said " don't believe you",even though the thought crossed my mind !

Edited by camokev64
  • Like 1

Tiercel,

TC

Like i said each breed to their own specialty,i`ve only seen 2 HPR breeds actually used in the picking mode.And while we are on the subject of picking up..there are 2 types of picking up, hoovers and long distance birds that have flown on !" Each picker plays a very important part on the shoot day of which the shoot could not function efficiently "..

Thanks...

Sorry..... Don't believe you.
Why would I lie.

I think labs are good retrievers, but they are not the only dogs that can retrieve, If you asked the question and I answered it and you replied with don't believe you, then why did you ask mate?

I've never said only labs can retrieve mate although I do think they are the best at it. I don't doubt for one second that your dog can retrieve birds. What I can't agree with is you saying your dog is so brainy that it can tell the difference between a wounded bird running and a fully fit bird running.

Yes my dogs can often clock on that a bird is wounded but they will also hunt up birds that they catch the scent off that are totally fine.

I have 2 pups here that give up if a bird flys on too far, useless pair of b*****ds if I'm honest but I also have my big dog who if he thinks for one minute that bird is hit he will go as far as it takes.

had this coversation with a fella who has kept german pointers along time and he says that a even a deceent german pointer coming on a pricked bird left behind by someone else will not point it but go into pick it but if coming on a bird in exact same circumstances only with the bird being ok it will stand and point it his explanion was either dog can smell the blood or smell\sense the bird is not fully fit by the scent as we all know that when wounded any animal will produce adreninlin and who s not to know that the dogs can pick this up and then work out there dealing with a wounded bird none of this is fact based but could be plausable !

• Like 2