One For The Wise Owls... (Tc)

This is an easy mend but the principles are the same no matter what size the repair. A couple of things you have to learn when doing repairs is, 1. A side knot. 2. It does help if you can learn to knit right to left as you have to go back and fore across the meshes.

A simple break.

2013_0617netrepair0014_zpsd02015cb.jpg

Cut the loose twine where marked.

cut_zpsb3eefaca.jpg

You then have a hole that looks like this.

2013_0617netrepair0015_zps0e332dfe.jpg

This is what the completed repair looks like and the sequence they were knitted. You will notice that the sequence is right to left thats just how it panned out, I could have turned the net over and done it left to right.

sequence_zps814c3a60.jpg

TC

• Like 7

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an easy mend but the principles are the same no matter what size the repair. A couple of things you have to learn when doing repairs is, 1. A side knot. 2. It does help if you can learn to kni

I may be wrong but I think he meant how to repair the meshes?   TC

When you use the original twine that the net is made of, the mend is almost invisable with a hand made net. It's the nylon that is a bugger to mend because of the z twist twine that nylon nets are mad

I wouldnt even attempt Z, for the price and the way I use it, its disposable. My handmade gear on the other hand..

Get some 4 or 6z and cut holes in it then practice mending the holes. All you need to remember is you have to cut away some meshes to make the repair easier for yourself. If you look at the drawings in the link no matter what shape the break is they alway cut away meshes so that you can complete the repair in one go.

I have an old net here that is in drastic need of repair, when I get round to doing it I will take photos.

TC

Get some of the 4z I got from advanced netting, no need to cut holes in it, it was pure tripe.

Care to elaborate..?

This repair is slightly larger, but, the principles are the same. You cut back to a side knot each side of the damage making sure that each side knot is in the next row down, it should become apparent with the photos. I kept forgeting to take the photo that I wanted so had to cut off what I had done. :duh:

I had already started the repair before I got any half decent photos, but still the shadows of the lines make it seem as if there is more to it than there actually is. The first photo shows how the net is cut back each side of the damage to the nearest side knot.

cutbacktosideknots_zps6f6ca8d6.jpg

This shot shows how the repair is started and continues down the cut back net.

sequencebigtear_zps2cb36dbe.jpg

This one shows a right to left run, ending in a side knot on the left hand side.

righttoleftrun_zps862dd375.jpg

This one shows a left to right run ending in a side knot on the right hand side. It also happens to be the last row before the joining row. The sequence for joing up the repair is given.

lefttorightrun_zps63618c02.jpg

Finished repair.

finishingoff_zpsd4bb8348.jpg

I do not use a mesh gauge for my repairs I just follow the rows that are already there, yes they go out of guage a little but nothing that is to the detrement of the catching abilities of the net.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

I wouldnt even attempt Z, for the price and the way I use it, its disposable. My handmade gear on the other hand..

Get some 4 or 6z and cut holes in it then practice mending the holes. All you need to remember is you have to cut away some meshes to make the repair easier for yourself. If you look at the drawings in the link no matter what shape the break is they alway cut away meshes so that you can complete the repair in one go.

I have an old net here that is in drastic need of repair, when I get round to doing it I will take photos.

TC

Get some of the 4z I got from advanced netting, no need to cut holes in it, it was pure tripe.

Care to elaborate..?

It was brown 4z, had loads of joins in it, holes and the string running through the selvedge was not through the 2 twines in numerous places. Also some of the knots slipped. Cut the good bits out and made some stop nets. Maybe just had bad luck (been on a run of that lately) as I have read nothing but good things about them. But my confidence is gone with it, buying twine from agouti and making my own now.

Some times the damage is just too big to make repairing it worth while. That is when you cut out all the shredded netting and add a new piece. As with all repairs preperation is the key. You cut each side to be joined to a line of side knots then simply join all the side knots together. I have used a heavier white twine to make the join more visable.

2010_0225joiningnet0009.jpg

TC

That left to right,right to left knitting.... Aint gonna be easy for a lefthanded, right hooker. :laugh: Could I cheat, and when the net is on a pole, could I not repair from both sides for the time being, effectively always knitting from left to right?

That left to right,right to left knitting.... Aint gonna be easy for a lefthanded, right hooker. :laugh: Could I cheat, and when the net is on a pole, could I not repair from both sides for the time being, effectively always knitting from left to right?

You could I just find it easier to go back and fore.

TC

Wow!! Thanks TC. You came through again.. I`ll have another good look at this later with some materials in hand. What knot do you use? Looks like you have used a single? Just for demo purposes?

The twine I used was agouti's spun polyester and that takes a single knot so no need for a double knot. I have not a clue how to explain a side knot or even take photos, I will have to think about how I can show one being made.

TC

Wow!! Thanks TC. You came through again.. I`ll have another good look at this later with some materials in hand. What knot do you use? Looks like you have used a single? Just for demo purposes?

The twine I used was agouti's spun polyester and that takes a single knot so no need for a double knot. I have not a clue how to explain a side knot or even take photos, I will have to think about how I can show one being made.

TC

Thank you. Much appreciated TC.

TC

Care to elaborate..?

It was brown 4z, had loads of joins in it, holes and the string running through the selvedge was not through the 2 twines in numerous places. Also some of the knots slipped. Cut the good bits out and made some stop nets. Maybe just had bad luck (been on a run of that lately) as I have read nothing but good things about them. But my confidence is gone with it, buying twine from agouti and making my own now.

Thanks for the reply, i too have had a missed selvage or two but never bad netting :hmm: , i think ill carry on buying from them till i find someone better..all the best with making your own....

Nice pics tc.... :thumbs:

TC

Care to elaborate..?

Thanks for the reply, i too have had a missed selvage or two but never bad netting :hmm: , i think ill carry on buying from them till i find someone better..all the best with making your own....

Nice pics tc.... :thumbs:

Made another stop net, just about got it finished and I thought I would try some meshes opening my fingers in them, the knots were slipping. Had my lot with it, I stripped the ones down I had made and re-done them with master hunter 6z netting that I had. This was going in the bin but I would not want that on the tips (birds etc) so it is getting a match. I have another net untouched, it might be ok but I have no confidence in this no more, I don't have the time to waste on this rubbish. Mr Wilkes if you like this give me the postage and you can have the unused one for free otherwise it is getting a match like the other. Took some pics.

netting015_zps678c8042.jpg

netting016_zps037618a5.jpg

d7033_zps94ab2cd4.jpg

ATB

• Like 1

Made another stop net, just about got it finished and I thought I would try some meshes opening my fingers in them, the knots were slipping. Had my lot with it, I stripped the ones down I had made and re-done them with master hunter 6z netting that I had. This was going in the bin but I would not want that on the tips (birds etc) so it is getting a match. I have another net untouched, it might be ok but I have no confidence in this no more, I don't have the time to waste on this rubbish. Mr Wilkes if you like this give me the postage and you can have the unused one for free otherwise it is getting a match like the other. Took some pics.

d7033_zps94ab2cd4.jpg

ATB

LC how many meshes were those nets? I have seen some elsewhere that were the same colour but only 1350 meshed long as opposed to the normal 1800 mesh sheets. Ropeseller on ebay was selling them aswell, he had a lot of bad feedback for them also. I have never had a net of that colour of advanced and I must be honest I have never had a net that bad off them either.

I have in the past had some nets with manufacturing faults in them, but nothing that bad. What does it say on the label? PM me if you wish I would like to know where these nets originate.

TC

d7033_zps94ab2cd4.jpg

ATB

LC how many meshes were those nets? I have seen some elsewhere that were the same colour but only 1350 meshed long as opposed to the normal 1800 mesh sheets. Ropeseller on ebay was selling them aswell, he had a lot of bad feedback for them also. I have never had a net of that colour of advanced and I must be honest I have never had a net that bad off them either.

I have in the past had some nets with manufacturing faults in them, but nothing that bad. What does it say on the label? PM me if you wish I would like to know where these nets originate.

TC

Pm 'd you TC