Hawking Dog

Jekyll

A work colleague is looking at getting a dog to use with his Harris, bushing dog I suppose, not something I'd know about so suggestions please, doesn't want a spaniel but wouldn't mind something with it in, not slow to mature and easily trainable. Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brittany all the way!!!

I work patterdale terrier with my male Harris and red tail bushs perfect and got great nose on her I can trust her with my hawks and my dads owls any dog can do any job pick dog that suits you best

If u want a dog to work cover u get the dog for the job ,not looks ect so u want a sprianger, cocker , Brittany If u want a dog to work more open land get a Hpr You won't get a pointer working hea

A work colleague is looking at getting a dog to use with his Harris, bushing dog I suppose, not something I'd know about so suggestions please, doesn't want a spaniel but wouldn't mind something with it in, not slow to mature and easily trainable. Thanks

GSP ,GWP

a decent terrier to flush maybe? small collie lurcher would also do nicely, also agree with above them GWp are beasts when it comes to seeking game, fookin mint at the job, love watching them work land, cracking site, would fancy one in future for sure

Edited by arcticgun

I work a bull/greyhound to the gun and has been used alongside a mates red tail. The fella had a pointer x and a spaniel and neither were as keen as my dog especially when it came to real thick bramble. Only thing is if you live in an area with a high density of Muntjac be prepared for a boot full of the critters !!! Atb

This is a point on a pheasant

BF4F5D14-4B4C-46F0-94B3-FFEFCF2DC7C2-106

And even as a young dog loved to get stuck in cover no matter how thick

556C0BA6-68E8-4669-A2EE-794E9C47B370-252

Edited by fitchet

I've seen all sorts hunting cover, some lurchers are real good but there litter mates might not be. So I'd stick to the recognised types of falconry/gundog. As has been said a lurcher might do great but will chase stuff, terriers are spot on until the inevitable happens and it goes to ground on you.

My Gwp dosent bush like a spaniel or terrier would but has a nose on him and if there's something in there it's coming out.In thick cover that might take longer than with say a spaniel but the end result is a flushed quarry.

I think you have to pick a breed you like as many will do the job, I like the Gwp, a Brittany would maybe do me better.

I work patterdale terrier with my male Harris and red tail bushs perfect and got great nose on her I can trust her with my hawks and my dads owls any dog can do any job pick dog that suits you best

• Like 1

After owning terriers I know they can be good bushing dogs,but sooner or later they will find an occupied fox earth and go to ground. When I had them I didn't mind too much as I wanted them to work and ran them with locator collars on but I did lose a good bitch in a drain.

I know others will say that they have worked a terrier with a hawk for years and loads of lurcher lads do the same but I'm just putting down an opinion after knowing how it can all go wrong.What I do know is that in tight cover, hedgerows etc a terrier takes some beating but up on the moors in deep heather or pushing through three foot rushes on boggy ground a terrier will not compare to a HPR or Spaniel.

The type of terrain you hunt over or how you want the quarry served up has a lot to do with choice of dog.

I hunt in mostly wood land and tight bushes ect so terrier is prefect for my needs and I have no time to wait for pointer to mature a friend of mine as gsp and it still maturing now at 3 years old :s

If u want a dog to work cover u get the dog for the job ,not looks ect so u want a sprianger, cocker , Brittany

If u want a dog to work more open land get a Hpr

You won't get a pointer working heavy cover like a spatial and vice versa

• Like 1