ive been thinking over this and ive come to the conclusion that the time spent growing veg/fruit, fishing and shooting a range of species would take up nearly a forty hour week, but then how do we pay the rent, electric bills, petrol to travel to permission, spend time with the family etc. I think realistically in the modern world one to two subsidized meals a week is more of a reality?

Im surprised at the lack of replies, i thought some of the regular deer stalkers on here would be shooting enough to swap for other game/favours? maybe due to my lack of experience and watching too much american based hunting tv im looking through rose tinted glasses?

ATB

to be honest bud ,my veg patch isnt the biggest ,but it takes a lot of looking after (keeping weeds down ,watering ect) ,and at the moment moment it gives me a lot of pleasure( as a hobby) ,i could in theory extend to 4x the size ,but then that brings other problems ,freezer aint going to be big enough for a start ,then just the work load alone would be so time consuming ,also because of the climate being so unpredictable and having such a short growing season you would be under pressure from the start , i would love to give it a real go ( i would need more land) but its just never going to happen as without going to work i wouldnt be able to pay the bills ,and we are all now a slave to the system .

for me its no more than taking a bit of pride in providing the family with some good home grown veg ,and saving the wife a few quid on the shopping .

a.t.b.......jim

if keeping the weeds down is taking up to much of your time, try seaweed. its a great fertilizer, keeps the weeds away and its free.....if you live close to the coast at least.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been having a go for 20 odd years in a small way. Most veg you can blanch and freeze. Bag up mark and in the chest freezer. make jams etc. freeze fruit for smoothies etc. have 20 odd chickens p

I would say I feed myself 4 or 5 days a week. Veg plot, and swapping veg and eggs with neighbours and friends, I don't buy much from the shops. I eat meat maybe twice a week - usually something caught

I've come pretty close but you have to change your way of thinking a lot. When my daughter was born I was working as a woods men coppicing, hedgelaying, charcoal, selling bits and prices, gardening fa

Cutting out processed stuff makes a big difference - coffee yes - but no ready made meals, or packet stuff. I make bread and pasta as and when needed, and I enjoy cooking and being out in the garden. I am sure if I had a large family of kids to feed it would be a different story, but every little helps.

Cutting out processed stuff makes a big difference - coffee yes - but no ready made meals, or packet stuff. I make bread and pasta as and when needed, and I enjoy cooking and being out in the garden. I am sure if I had a large family of kids to feed it would be a different story, but every little helps.

Tesco`s :laugh::laugh:

:laugh: shame for them there is a Morrisons a lot closer that I spend my hard earned £25 in !

:laugh: shame for them there is a Morrisons a lot closer that I spend my hard earned £25 in !

YTS 25 quid a week :laugh:

YTS 25 quid a week :laugh:

A week :icon_eek: A month more likely - this is the NHS, although it feels a bit YTS at times :laugh:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a spare bit of rough ground you can rent or borrow, def try keeping a couple of weaners. Get them at 2 months, and they are ready to go from 5-6 months onward. You can top up their food with windfall fruit and old veg out the garden. Pork to die for and REAL crackling! And if you fancy a laugh and a few beers to help creativity, have a go at making sausages

• Like 3

If you have a spare bit of rough ground you can rent or borrow, def try keeping a couple of weaners. Get them at 2 months, and they are ready to go from 5-6 months onward. You can top up their food with windfall fruit and old veg out the garden. Pork to die for and REAL crackling! And if you fancy a laugh and a few beers to help creativity, have a go at making sausages

That's exactly what I did. Found a little piece of bramble jungle that the owner didnt use . . . . and started with three glouchester old spots, just done five saddle backs and am aiming for ten in the near future :thumbs: Had pork chops for my tea tonight :thumbs:

• Like 4

Are they FATTY porkers J ? any sides of belly left to make Bacon ?

That's exactly what I did. Found a little piece of bramble jungle that the owner didnt use . . . . and started with three glouchester old spots, just done five saddle backs and am aiming for ten in the near future :thumbs: Had pork chops for my tea tonight :thumbs:A

I got a couple of pretty big freezers . . . . . :thumbs:

But half the next lot is 'pre-sold' as it were. :laugh:

BRY - The first lot were pretty fatty, but the last lot were not so bad, I got the timing etc right. More fatty than the white pigs, but not too much, just right for those I gave it to. It's pretty much all gone, but I'd be interested in doing some bacon, how would I do it from the belly?