how many of you guys are able to eat (and do) 3-4 meals a week purely from what you have caught, shot or grown and/or trade with others for food stuffs you are lacking in?

im asking because ive just started watching 'alaska the last frontier' and its got me thinking how fed up i am paying over the odds for food :censored: and Im hoping by winter ill be able to enjoy eating free organic meals :thumbs:

ATB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been having a go for 20 odd years in a small way. Most veg you can blanch and freeze. Bag up mark and in the chest freezer. make jams etc. freeze fruit for smoothies etc. have 20 odd chickens p

I would say I feed myself 4 or 5 days a week. Veg plot, and swapping veg and eggs with neighbours and friends, I don't buy much from the shops. I eat meat maybe twice a week - usually something caught

I've come pretty close but you have to change your way of thinking a lot. When my daughter was born I was working as a woods men coppicing, hedgelaying, charcoal, selling bits and prices, gardening fa

i cant say ive grown enough to feed ourselfs 3 or 4 times per week ,but over the last few years ive started to grow more stuff in the garden ,last growing season i grew enough spuds ,onions/leeks,kale ,to feed us for about 1 or 2 times per week for 6 months ,i also filled the freezer with runner and french beans ,that kept us going for about 1 or 2 meals per week over a 4 or 5 month period ,we also make jam and pickle onions and beetroot , the wife is a wizz at cooking rabbit mainly stews and pies ,and the whole family eats them.

ive swapped rabbits for free range eggs, plants and a parrafin heater ,and when ive given rabbits away ive nearly always got back favors in return .

im looking to expand the veg patch in the near future so who knows if its possible ?

im not sure if its the answer you were looking for .

a.t.b...jim

• Like 1

i cant say ive grown enough to feed ourselfs 3 or 4 times per week ,but over the last few years ive started to grow more stuff in the garden ,last growing season i grew enough spuds ,onions/leeks,kale ,to feed us for about 1 or 2 times per week for 6 months ,i also filled the freezer with runner and french beans ,that kept us going for about 1 or 2 meals per week over a 4 or 5 month period ,we also make jam and pickle onions and beetroot , the wife is a wizz at cooking rabbit mainly stews and pies ,and the whole family eats them.

ive swapped rabbits for free range eggs, plants and a parrafin heater ,and when ive given rabbits away ive nearly always got back favors in return .

im looking to expand the veg patch in the near future so who knows if its possible ?

im not sure if its the answer you were looking for.

a.t.b...jim

It's bloody good effort buddy!!! More than most, but as you say to feed the family 4 times a week 12 months a year you would need a fair plot of land! More than most people will have access to ;-(

according to J.Seymore you need a minimum of 7 acres with a pond and wood to become somewhere near self sufficient, it would also be virtually a full time job. if you can get hold of his book "a guide to self sufficienc" its a good read,

im not sure if its the answer you were looking for .

a.t.b...jim

thats exactly the kind of answering im looking for! well done on providing for you and your family

ive been thinking over this and ive come to the conclusion that the time spent growing veg/fruit, fishing and shooting a range of species would take up nearly a forty hour week, but then how do we pay the rent, electric bills, petrol to travel to permission, spend time with the family etc. I think realistically in the modern world one to two subsidized meals a week is more of a reality?

Im surprised at the lack of replies, i thought some of the regular deer stalkers on here would be shooting enough to swap for other game/favours? maybe due to my lack of experience and watching too much american based hunting tv im looking through rose tinted glasses?

ATB

I have been having a go for 20 odd years in a small way. Most veg you can blanch and freeze. Bag up mark and in the chest freezer. make jams etc. freeze fruit for smoothies etc. have 20 odd chickens plenty of eggs. freeze the rabbits the dog and ferrets get, the odd pheasent. my mate gives me pigeons he shoots. it all helps in a small way. :thumbs:

ferretingpics007_zpsfe771d62.jpg

• Like 7

I haven`t bought meat from a butcher since last October.

Sorry,, once while away in the camper I bought a dinner. The rest comes from wild meat in my two freezers, and long may it continue, we enjoy providing all our own meat.

• Like 4

ive been thinking over this and ive come to the conclusion that the time spent growing veg/fruit, fishing and shooting a range of species would take up nearly a forty hour week, but then how do we pay the rent, electric bills, petrol to travel to permission, spend time with the family etc. I think realistically in the modern world one to two subsidized meals a week is more of a reality?

Im surprised at the lack of replies, i thought some of the regular deer stalkers on here would be shooting enough to swap for other game/favours? maybe due to my lack of experience and watching too much american based hunting tv im looking through rose tinted glasses?

ATB

to be honest bud ,my veg patch isnt the biggest ,but it takes a lot of looking after (keeping weeds down ,watering ect) ,and at the moment moment it gives me a lot of pleasure( as a hobby) ,i could in theory extend to 4x the size ,but then that brings other problems ,freezer aint going to be big enough for a start ,then just the work load alone would be so time consuming ,also because of the climate being so unpredictable and having such a short growing season you would be under pressure from the start , i would love to give it a real go ( i would need more land) but its just never going to happen as without going to work i wouldnt be able to pay the bills ,and we are all now a slave to the system .

for me its no more than taking a bit of pride in providing the family with some good home grown veg ,and saving the wife a few quid on the shopping .

a.t.b.......jim

• Like 1

I would say I feed myself 4 or 5 days a week. Veg plot, and swapping veg and eggs with neighbours and friends, I don't buy much from the shops. I eat meat maybe twice a week - usually something caught, sometimes lamb from the freezer. I help a farmer neighbour with lambing 2 nights a week thru the season, and he pays me in freezer meat. Pigeon, pheasant and rabbit are caught, the odd fish from a friend. I would think I spend £25 a month at the supermarket, on washing liquid, cleaners, shampoo, flour, coffee etc etc

Organising the green veg took some doing - sowing seeds each week, planting out, so I can harvest some each week, and still have some growing through. I forage the hedges too - berries, greens, nuts and so on. Pickles, jams and freezer packs - all helps. Makes you appreciate the seasons more.

• Like 6

Usually all summer we eat from the 'land', in that we have a very extensive veg garden, keep chickens, had quail, pigs etc and can trade for lamb, beef etc. Also, obviously, I hunt, fish and gather wild food. Also made wine, cider, etc.

However, come winter, the options for fresh veg etc are very limited so we do buy in food.

But i would happily put money on the fact that I could probably live for at least six months of the year without needing to buy a single food item from a shop. Could probably push to 12 months is needed, but some of it would be a bit dull lol.

• Like 1

I have been having a go for 20 odd years in a small way. Most veg you can blanch and freeze. Bag up mark and in the chest freezer. make jams etc. freeze fruit for smoothies etc. have 20 odd chickens plenty of eggs. freeze the rabbits the dog and ferrets get, the odd pheasent. my mate gives me pigeons he shoots. it all helps in a small way. :thumbs:

ferretingpics007_zpsfe771d62.jpg

ive been following your thread in the gardening section, looks like you put the effort in mate :thumbs:

ATB

to be honest bud ,my veg patch isnt the biggest ,but it takes a lot of looking after (keeping weeds down ,watering ect) ,and at the moment moment it gives me a lot of pleasure( as a hobby) ,i could in theory extend to 4x the size ,but then that brings other problems ,freezer aint going to be big enough for a start ,then just the work load alone would be so time consuming ,also because of the climate being so unpredictable and having such a short growing season you would be under pressure from the start , i would love to give it a real go ( i would need more land) but its just never going to happen as without going to work i wouldnt be able to pay the bills ,and we are all now a slave to the system .

for me its no more than taking a bit of pride in providing the family with some good home grown veg ,and saving the wife a few quid on the shopping .

a.t.b.......jim

if its not enjoyable anymore it probably wouldnt be worth it... might as well just do more overtime :bad:

Sorry,, once while away in the camper I bought a dinner. The rest comes from wild meat in my two freezers, and long may it continue, we enjoy providing all our own meat.

wow, well done! no cheeky chinese's on a friday night? i take it you shoot all available game?

I would say I feed myself 4 or 5 days a week. Veg plot, and swapping veg and eggs with neighbours and friends, I don't buy much from the shops. I eat meat maybe twice a week - usually something caught, sometimes lamb from the freezer. I help a farmer neighbour with lambing 2 nights a week thru the season, and he pays me in freezer meat. Pigeon, pheasant and rabbit are caught, the odd fish from a friend. I would think I spend £25 a month at the supermarket, on washing liquid, cleaners, shampoo, flour, coffee etc etc

Organising the green veg took some doing - sowing seeds each week, planting out, so I can harvest some each week, and still have some growing through. I forage the hedges too - berries, greens, nuts and so on. Pickles, jams and freezer packs - all helps. Makes you appreciate the seasons more.

i dont think i could only manage on meat x2 a week tho, fair play to you helping out with the lambing, thats a good swap for lamb which is quite pricey now :thumbs:

Usually all summer we eat from the 'land', in that we have a very extensive veg garden, keep chickens, had quail, pigs etc and can trade for lamb, beef etc. Also, obviously, I hunt, fish and gather wild food. Also made wine, cider, etc.

However, come winter, the options for fresh veg etc are very limited so we do buy in food.

But i would happily put money on the fact that I could probably live for at least six months of the year without needing to buy a single food item from a shop. Could probably push to 12 months is needed, but some of it would be a bit dull lol.

i seen your name and remembered your pigs thread, your rearing your own pheasants arent you?

my weekly budget for myself is £50 but i refuse to eat readymeals (i dont even own a microwave) or any other processed shit, dairy and wheat dont agree with me so that cuts out some cheap food stuffs but ill munch a kebab at least twice a week :whistling:

thanks for the replies so far!

• Like 1

wow, well done! no cheeky chinese's on a friday night? i take it you shoot all available game?

i dont think i could only manage on meat x2 a week tho, fair play to you helping out with the lambing, thats a good swap for lamb which is quite pricey now :thumbs:

i seen your name and remembered your pigs thread, your rearing your own pheasants arent you?

my weekly budget for myself is £50 but i refuse to eat readymeals (i dont even own a microwave) or any other processed shit, dairy and wheat dont agree with me so that cuts out some cheap food stuffs but ill munch a kebab at least twice a week :whistling:

thanks for the replies so far!

I wouldn`t thank you for a Chinese these days,, can`t stand the folk so no Chinese for me.

I do have the odd takeaway and I enjoy eating out so no, I haven`t survived totally on wild meat,, but it`s all that's in my freezers, and I killed it all.

Every meal cooked at home using meat has been provided by me. It`s made a hell ova difference really,, much more enjoyable.

• Like 1