What Kind Of Dog, How You Bush ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive owned some lurcher's with great noses,and not scared of cover........... but its absolutely pointless a lurcher pushing into cover for say a rabbit,by the time the dogs half way in,the rabbits ou

I started off with spaniels, being a keeper, and an avid beater. I found that they took to any quarry, but were lacking in range, and not willing to take a line very far. Understandable. So I bred my

i farted tonite an the dogs didunt seem to mind at all so mabe thay cant smell f**k all. the mrs was nearly sick.

Paulus a lot of my bushing spots run alongside busy roads but yeh in big open spots off lead all the way!!

And when I'm talking about bushing 99% of the time I'm not talking about rabbits!

• Like 1

Paulus a lot of my bushing spots run alongside busy roads but yeh in big open spots off lead all the way!!

And when I'm talking about bushing 99% of the time I'm not talking about rabbits!

Stop pretending your dogs are capable of taking rat! Lol.

• Like 2

For me 'bushing' is not working rough ground. . . . the running dogs we keep and work can hunt up and find game on that kind of ground on their own. I use the cover dog to work either large areas of bramble etc, usually way too big and thick for a person to get in and push rabbits out, and where, unless the dog in the cover makes some noise, you will usually totally lose track of where the dog and quarry are, as will the dogs on the outside often. I also use mine to push out larger pieces of woodland, running a line and pushing the quarry around until it either goes to ground or makes a break across open fields. I also just quite like the sound of a dog baying. :thumbs: A lot of my bushing is also kind of tracking, and whilst the runners have a good nose, very little beats the hound so far, she can follow a cold line for a long way. I certainly see more now I have her.

Also we quite enjoy a bit of a team effort, standing around big reed beds etc, letting the smaller dogs work it through, the nose being very handy again, to alert those standing outside of whats coming their way.

For me 'bushing' is not working rough ground. . . . the running dogs we keep and work can hunt up and find game on that kind of ground on their own. I use the cover dog to work either large areas of bramble etc, usually way too big and thick for a person to get in and push rabbits out, and where, unless the dog in the cover makes some noise, you will usually totally lose track of where the dog and quarry are, as will the dogs on the outside often. I also use mine to push out larger pieces of woodland, running a line and pushing the quarry around until it either goes to ground or makes a break across open fields. I also just quite like the sound of a dog baying. :thumbs: A lot of my bushing is also kind of tracking, and whilst the runners have a good nose, very little beats the hound so far, she can follow a cold line for a long way. I certainly see more now I have her.

Also we quite enjoy a bit of a team effort, standing around big reed beds etc, letting the smaller dogs work it through, the nose being very handy again, to alert those standing outside of whats coming their way.

thats at the back of my house :yes::laugh: if you like brambles come and see me i have lots :thumbs:

thats at the back of my house :yes::laugh: if you like brambles come and see me i have lots :thumbs:

Sorry mate, that wasn't aimed at you or those photos :thumbs: The second photo looks like it has a lot of what i'm on about.

I just meant that to me there is a difference between hunting up and bushing, for example i'd use the runners to hunt up moorland etc, and wouldnt call it bushing :thumbs:

• Like 2

My terrier will push through most cover and let's you know when she's onto something, the exitement of the lurcher on the outside,trying to work out where the bolt is coming from, normally this is through big bramble patches.. I'm not going to pretend we catch loads like this we don't... We miss loads.. But I like this type of hunting, the dogs work in a team, we do a lot better when there's another lurcher or 2 about... Oh and the terrier catches a few in the hedge bottom too.. I wouldn't want a silent dog in that heavy cover though..

• Like 2

Stop pretending your dogs are capable of taking rat! Lol.

They do, honest lol

My terrier will push through most cover and let's you know when she's onto something, the exitement of the lurcher on the outside,trying to work out where the bolt is coming from, normally this is through big bramble patches.. I'm not going to pretend we catch loads like this we don't... We miss loads.. But I like this type of hunting, the dogs work in a team, we do a lot better when there's another lurcher or 2 about... Oh and the terrier catches a few in the hedge bottom too.. I wouldn't want a silent dog in that heavy cover though..

I think I would lose a silent dog at times :laugh:

• Like 1

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

I love posts like this, does anyone actually realise how good a dogs sense of smell is?.......it's so good that you can't even comprehend it!!

This is what makes me laugh when folk say they need a smorgasboard of mutts crashing about in the bushes making enough racket to wake the dead just to find game!!......err, you don't .

id expect to miss a lot of game in deep cover that the dog wont be able to sent? each to there own.

I love posts like this, does anyone actually realise how good a dogs sense of smell is?.......it's so good that you can't even comprehend it!!

This is what makes me laugh when folk say they need a smorgasboard of mutts crashing about in the bushes making enough racket to wake the dead just to find game!!......err, you don't .

No but if the cover is large . . . . it does tend to help if the dog enters it. . . . rather than you just giving it a wee kick. And certain quarry will not leave large covers unless pressed hard, preferring to just run around inside. From what I have seen anyhow . . . . .

You seem to have a fair problem with folk using smaller dogs to hunt and push out cover? :hmm:

No but if the cover is large . . . . it does tend to help if the dog enters it. . . . rather than you just giving it a wee kick. And certain quarry will not leave large covers unless pressed hard, preferring to just run around inside. From what I have seen anyhow . . . . .

You seem to have a fair problem with folk using smaller dogs to hunt and push out cover? :hmm:

No, I don't have a problem with it.......I have an opinion about certain things but not a problem.

If you only want smoke blown up your arse then say so at the start of each post ;)