Would You Pay £200 For Your Gun Licence?

Saw this on another forum, think it takes the piss.. :yes: They're saying it costs them more to process an application than the fee covers, but what else is the police budget for if not dealing with the things they are required to do by law? :hmm: If they ensured the staff they employ were capable of working efficiently and they had an efficient system in place it might not cost them so much money in the first place. You gun owners are facing the possibility of being forced to pay more money because of incompetence and inefficiency. It's not like you're a consumer and can take your money elsewhere, they've got you by the bollocks..

No they certainly don't send a reminder. :laugh: You can do it all online. :thumbs:

They sent me a reminder mate, otherwise I wouldn't have known you needed to do it every 10 years! :laugh:

Didn't send me one. Maybe it's because you're nearer Swansea? :hmm::laugh:

me, my wife and my eldest son have all had reminders, if you go into a crown post office they have a booth were it can all be done at once with little effort

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope they could f**k off if that was the case.......hate it when they go down the money route to solve a problem. I think its too expensive as it is.....why should we have to pay anyway? If your prove

What laws would you like to see tightened Phill ? I cant think of any mate ...Give an inch ....There already bringing compulsory tests in by the back door , mentoring , where did that come from , giv

£200 complete piss take , but if the powers to be decide thats what its going to cost, we have two choices give up your guns or pay it . Me for the sake of less than 80p a day i shall be hanging onto

you can tell the Scottish ones on here.

if it went up its gonna cost £40 a year whats that ten pence a day? if they did away with 2 forms for those of us who have a sgc and fac and made one and did the application online some have I know, and made life quicker it would be well worth it. what do I mean quicker/ easier as some of you know I have had a gun break and it looks like its on its way back, but im fortunate that I have 2 x .22 guns as I have farmers who's land I shoot deer to keep rabbits down and I have to go out 2 - 3 times a week to be on top of this. If my only gun was out there is nothing I could do but if we had a better service I could get the form turned around in a week to get a new one, when I rang the quickest I could get it done was 6 weeks. so they could be more efficient and that it what I am happy to pay for.

This being the deer forum I am surprised those who spend thousands on shooting in equipment and ammo etc and pay for a day to shoot would have an issue with the fee going up.

if it went up its gonna cost £40 a year whats that ten pence a day? if they did away with 2 forms for those of us who have a sgc and fac and made one and did the application online some have I know, and made life quicker it would be well worth it. what do I mean quicker/ easier as some of you know I have had a gun break and it looks like its on its way back, but im fortunate that I have 2 x .22 guns as I have farmers who's land I shoot deer to keep rabbits down and I have to go out 2 - 3 times a week to be on top of this. If my only gun was out there is nothing I could do but if we had a better service I could get the form turned around in a week to get a new one, when I rang the quickest I could get it done was 6 weeks. so they could be more efficient and that it what I am happy to pay for.

This being the deer forum I am surprised those who spend thousands on shooting in equipment and ammo etc and pay for a day to shoot would have an issue with the fee going up.

Aye exactly if youve got plenty money you wont give a shit....what happens to the folk who dont have that kind of money (me) to be throwing about though and need the guns alot more than some stalker firing a few rounds every year? Infact its not the money issue its the principal of an organisation that just decides "f**k it" were putting it up, take it or leave it. Greed!!!

• Like 1

Saw this on another forum, think it takes the piss.. :yes: They're saying it costs them more to process an application than the fee covers, but what else is the police budget for if not dealing with the things they are required to do by law? :hmm: If they ensured the staff they employ were capable of working efficiently and they had an efficient system in place it might not cost them so much money in the first place. You gun owners are facing the possibility of being forced to pay more money because of incompetence and inefficiency. It's not like you're a consumer and can take your money elsewhere, they've got you by the bollocks..

No they certainly don't send a reminder. :laugh: You can do it all online. :thumbs:

They sent me a reminder mate, otherwise I wouldn't have known you needed to do it every 10 years! :laugh:

me, my wife and my eldest son have all had reminders, if you go into a crown post office they have a booth were it can all be done at once with little effort

Perhaps DVLA know we are all responsible law abiding citizens down here and don't need nudging to do what's right. :D

Perhaps DVLA know we are all responsible law abiding citizens down here and don't need nudging to do what's right. :D

all ours are still out of date :laugh::laugh:

Aye exactly if youve got plenty money you wont give a shit....what happens to the folk who dont have that kind of money (me) to be throwing about though and need the guns alot more than some stalker firing a few rounds every year? Infact its not the money issue its the principal of an organisation that just decides "f**k it" were putting it up, take it or leave it. Greed!!!

its not about the money its what you get for your money, and guns need to be in the right hands, and they need to be in hands of someone who is going to use them safely and store them safely and look after them. it doesn't matter how many rounds you fire the guns need to be given to people that are checked correctly and that takes time and time is money, its not down to greed or they would say it costs x but we are putting it up to make more, ive had a licence for a long time and they were not much then, but then a pack of cigs was 30p and petrol was 11p that's all gone up x% many times and yet these licences go up a pound or two.

yes shooting is a fairly cheap hobby but for those who have to watch pennies you can still do it they are not saying its £200 a yr its £200 for 5 yrs 10p a day and if they improve the service and make a few loopholes shut then so be it its worth it.

So if you can afford to pay more money for a gun licence it automatically makes you a more responsible person and more suited to gun ownership? :blink: I've heard some rubbish on here over the years but that is right up there.. :doh: That's nothing but elitism IMO..

Beat me to it Malt........Phil if it was going up with inflation then really we cant moan. I'm not sure of the exact cost of renewal at the moment, about £50 the last time i did it but how can it jump from that too £200. Its daylight robbery knowing fine well anyone who wants to involve themselves in shooting will pay through the nose......another step to eventually banning it. Be lucky to shoot clays in 10 years time the way they are going..... :censored:

Beat me to it Malt........Phil if it was going up with inflation then really we cant moan. I'm not sure of the exact cost of renewal at the moment, about £50 the last time i did it but how can it jump from that too £200. Its daylight robbery knowing fine well anyone who wants to involve themselves in shooting will pay through the nose......another step to eventually banning it. Be lucky to shoot clays in 10 years time the way they are going..... :censored:

It's another bloody stealth tax mate, nothing more.. :yes:

So if you can afford to pay more money for a gun licence it automatically makes you a more responsible person and more suited to gun ownership? :blink: I've heard some rubbish on here over the years but that is right up there.. :doh: That's nothing but elitism IMO..

And your welcome to it but ive not said that, don't make something of it, I'm saying that I would like to see improvements in the ways the licence is processed and laws tightened, and if we have to pay a few extra pounds to do this then so be it.

We have a responsibility as gun owners to ensure security and safety and that does have a cost. But the main point is that it's not a tax it's a licence it's a fee that we pay to hold our guns and the extra cost makes these improvements better then it's worth it.

What laws would you like to see tightened Phill ? I cant think of any mate ...Give an inch ....There already bringing compulsory tests in by the back door , mentoring , where did that come from , give them more money to play with & there give you more agg for it .The police can never give value for money its run on the same lines as a council ,i.e its given public money ,any cock ups don't mean jack shite no one will be held to account ...When there's a short full its call on joe public to step up again ...The rise will come but I don't welcome it & I certainly don't welcome tightening any gun laws..The only thing I,d like to see tightened is there money belt ..!!

• Like 4

They say it costs £200 to process an application. At the current cost of £50 is a quarter of the actual cost and the police have asked the treasury to make up the shortfall not the other way round. At the moment it omens out of their budget

What if during these cut backs they cut back on numbers in firearm departments and or firearm officers, here in west Sussex we have 2 officers and in nov 2010 there were 26k licenses that's a he'll of a workload. Times to renew get longer times to get variations get longer.

I hope they don't put fees up but if they do let's hope the money is put to good use

• Like 1

What laws would you like to see tightened Phill ? I cant think of any mate ...Give an inch ....There already bringing compulsory tests in by the back door , mentoring , where did that come from , give them more money to play with & there give you more agg for it .The police can never give value for money its run on the same lines as a council ,i.e its given public money ,any cock ups don't mean jack shite no one will be held to account ...When there's a short full its call on joe public to step up again ...The rise will come but I don't welcome it & I certainly don't welcome tightening any gun laws..The only thing I,d like to see tightened is there money belt ..!!

I would like a few laws tightened .

At the moment you can get a deer rifle even if you don't have any permissions you pay per day.

If you want to shoot deer you need the mentor bit you mentioned, but if you say you want to shoot foxes you can get a 243 once you have the gun you can shoot deer albeit not legal but who ever checks.

Shotguns I've got 10 11 12 I don't know there a whole cabinet or 2 full of em do I need them all? No but I can. Have I been asked why I need so many? No if I had a reason then fair enough one I bought when I was 14 a single barrel biakel, 40 + yrs ago ain't fired in 30+ yrs.

Foxes at what range can you kill a fox 100% with a shotgun, I think they should be up graded to a higher calibre.

You can shoot on over or near a public footpath, 50 ft from a main rd is that right/safe.

There are more but I don't want to ruffle feathers as people on here take things the wrong way.