Exact Pellet Sizes 5.51/ 5.52 Etc... How Do You Know?

Hey guys.

I see some of you have pellet preferences even down to 1/100th of a millimeter in diameter. My question, as per the title, is how do you know what size you have?

I can't find tins of Diablo Field that say anything other than 5.5mm and don't list the size to the second decimal place. So are you guys measuring every pellet with a vernier/ micrometer to find the ones you want? If so, that's very dedicated! I'd genuinely like to know as it does seem to make a difference for some of you, so it might for me!

Jim

ok, now I feel dumb....... never thought of turning tin over... :icon_redface: thanks though! :thumbs:

I've been reading around the subject and there are many that seem to think it makes no difference anyway, and not only that but that lead being so soft can't be manufactured to such exacting tolerances, especially when they're then thrown into a tin 500 at a time! Besides, doesn't the measurement refer to head size, and it's the skirt that deforms, catches the air and does most of the grip into the rifling so has the greatest effect on accuracy anyway? I know the head grips the rifling a bit too, but that much difference? really? the difference between 5.51. and 5.52 would fit 10 times in to the thickness of a standard piece of printer paper.

I must admit, I am intrigued!

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim

I can't explain why it makes a difference but try yourself, get two tins of the same pellet in both head sizes, I can almost guarantee you will see a difference. I tried last week with 4.51 and 4.52 size superfields, the 4.51 were similar to a shotgun pattern and the 4.52 were very respectful.

I'm not into the science of why it works or not but can only speak from experiance.

Phil

• Like 1

ok, now I feel dumb....... never thought of turning tin over... :icon_redface: thanks though! :thumbs:

I've been reading around the subject and there are many that seem to think it makes no difference anyway, and not only that but that lead being so soft can't be manufactured to such exacting tolerances, especially when they're then thrown into a tin 500 at a time! Besides, doesn't the measurement refer to head size, and it's the skirt that deforms, catches the air and does most of the grip into the rifling so has the greatest effect on accuracy anyway? I know the head grips the rifling a bit too, but that much difference? really? the difference between 5.51. and 5.52 would fit 10 times in to the thickness of a standard piece of printer paper.

Jim

Make sure the lids on Jim............. :icon_redface:

• Like 8

Jim

Make sure the lids on Jim............. :icon_redface:

Made me smile.

there should be little stickers on the bottom of the tin, that looks like a bar code only its a row of numbers 5.51445.. 5,51 line 4 die 4 or some muddle of that, so that if you get a hot pellet for your gun you can request the tins of a time period from line '4' with what ever die..(date etc)

as the dies ware down..your looking for the next pellet tin thats a bit on the extraness side and getting them, its why people buy tens of tins or even a box at a time.

i often wander weather the gunsmith buys pellets without having the foggyist what size head they are...or some one's peeling stickers lol.

twats.

Edited by ghillies

i see it one of two ways, first is if as a gunsmith they dont actualy know, they aint having my gun for sure, and it's fairly posable that they may see me every few years out of desperasion,

or 2... they are 'assuming' your a noddy to remove funds from.....................

theres a third that sums the first two, if your good enough and know you wouldnt be near the shop, or those going in are noddy fodder and are quite happy not knowing.

what ever its feckin insulting. i have to bite the preverbial tongue 9 times out of ten..... two of the shops i go in they just look worried at me when they sell out lol. i try not to say out but some times yu know...yu have to say summut.

the daystate bloke has some nosions on 'our behalfs' followed by a 'therefor'..a shame really some people need to grow up lolol.

Edited by ghillies

I got two tins of superdomes and theres no head sizes on the tins.. Under or on on top....

Superdomes don't come in different head sizes but are awesome in my HW77!!

I've been in to several gun shops between Hampshire and Cornwall. 3 told me that the AA Fields only came in 5.5mm. It amazes me that some gun shops seem to treat airgun shooters as second class customers.

• Like 1

I got two tins of superdomes and theres no head sizes on the tins.. Under or on on top....

Superdomes don't come in different head sizes but are awesome in my HW77!!

I've been in to several gun shops between Hampshire and Cornwall. 3 told me that the AA Fields only came in 5.5mm. It amazes me that some gun shops seem to treat airgun shooters as second class customers.

That's about right ref the gunships telling you that! That's why I boycotted my local gunshop because I ended up having an argument with the owner who was hell bent on telling me that all domed pellets are the same and make no difference to groupings!!!!! Bloody idiot! I think my willingness to not accept that angered him so much he wanted to chuck me out!

Never been back to that shop! I would rather support online traders over my local shop any day of the week!

• Like 1

Obviously gunshop owners just arent as keen as us.

My mate thinks all pellets are the same and my other mate thinks more expensive ones must be best.

I believe headsize and pellet weight makes all the difference..

Say your shoting at 70 yards with pellets straight from the tin. Group migh lt be 3 inches

Same range but with pellets you know to be all 4,52mm and all exactly the same weight say 8.45 gr your groups will be a lot better. Maybe not so much difference at 20 yards but at 70 you will see dramatic difference....

Rant over lol