Ratio Bullets to Pigeons!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I have seen is 197 woodies for 212 shots :thumbs:

Shot by a mate of mine on winter rape. I shot 115 for about 150 shots. I cant shoot like him.

Over that year we really went at it and shot well over 4,000 woddies and I think we were shooting about 75-80% over the year.

Not bad but I would not/could not do it again.

Spike

Hi Paul,

the problem is that when the Pigeons are in close nearly everyone shoots at them! MY Grandfather told me that if a pigeon is in close think that the pigeon has a beak like a Heron and then shoot at the tip, worked for me :toast: .

I am living in Germany at the moment and teach about decoying as nobody does that over here has even heard of a rotary :clapper: after teaching the main question that is asked is about lead and that is always my answer.

give it a go, think you might improve, my best day was 146 pigeons and 167 shots.

hope it helps and hit them clean :boxing:

HTS

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guess a 70% plus is average on a good decoy day.

Best ever was 95 pigeon for 102 shots decoying on beans!

im happy with 50%

Hi

i'm just happy shooting pigeons !!

ive been shooting them on & off when i get time for about 7 years

i usually manage 12 or so some times 20

as i dont get much time to get out so i usually shoot with out any recon !!

but last year i had a few bumper sessions i shot 60 on a rape stubble field one of the first to be cut in the area i went back the next day but in a slightly different place (right under the flight line)

boy did i ave some fun !!

i shot 96 for 120 cartridges !!

it was suicide i even managed to shoot 3 pigeons for 2 shots twice !!

every time two or 3 came in id pop up & shoot one then break the gun to load the empty barrel but as i was doing this feckin more would pile in !! it was amazing the bigger the pattern got the more they came in !!

the bummer was i had to go to work or else i'd still be there !!

even manage to get 35p each for them

Hi guess a 70% plus is average on a good decoy day.

Best ever was 95 pigeon for 102 shots decoying on beans!

im happy with 50%

Im allways happy with bag unless my son accomponies me then the question usually after half an hr is ..Have we got enough cartridges..And boy can he use them :icon_eek:

Edited by k9wpg

It depends where I'm shooting, roost shooting about 75%hit ratio, but decoying it drops to about 50% , (although on Monday I was atrocious it must have been nearly 25% , lots of high crossers - that's my excuse anyway :whistling: ).

P.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My average is 1 pigeon to 3 or 4 cartridges, but for rabbits is 2 rabbits to 3 cartridges.

Had a great afternoon y'day. Walking through an orchard on the edge of my permission, I startled a couple of rabbits. One disappeared into the warren under a mass of brambles, the other stayed on lookout just on the edge of the brambles. I thought it was watching me, but I got to within 30 yards and got it stone dead with the first shot.

That shot then flushed a couple of woodies from the trees nearby. They circled over to spot the danger and I got one with the second barrel as it flew high over the clearing in front of me. So a rabbit and a pigeon for two shots! Then got another rabbit at 40 yards with the next shot about 10 mins later. Spoilt my average for the day by missing next two shots at rabbits at about 40 yards.

But thank god for all the rabbits - very few pigeons now on my permission as the rape is waist high and the wheat is still green.

Also startled a muntjac when driving back along the farm track. Time to get some rifle shooting practice and apply for my FAC I think.