Ratio Bullets to Pigeons!

:gunsmilie: can anyone tell me their average for pigeon shooting, cartridge per bird?

I had a realy bad day yesterday out shooting, and my final tally was 23 birds and 68 shots............

now even on my reconing thats bloody awfull! :doh:

maybe i need glasses?

paul.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well paul i would say that was not bad unless they were decoying in to about 25 yards, i personally am reasonably pleased to have a 50% shot to kill ratio. One of my pals shot 60 birds a couple of months ago on cut peas and fired about 350 shells which considering how well the birds were decoying that is pathetic. he still said he had a good day which i suppose is all that counts.

Guest foxtrack
:gunsmilie: can anyone tell me their average for pigeon shooting, cartridge per bird?

I had a realy bad day yesterday out shooting, and my final tally was 23 birds and 68 shots............

now even on my reconing thats bloody awfull! :doh:

maybe i need glasses?

paul.

you done well mate if you saw my mate and i on the crows last week you would have pissed yourself laughing

:icon_redface:

• 3 weeks later...

depends how good your position is in relation to the birds coming in. If there coming straight at me then i,m 75% but if there coming in from every which way then it around 33%. Overall though i dont moan if i hit 1 in 3, its having the enjoyment that counts, if you start worrying that your doing crap then you will get worse so just enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Last week I was out and couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo....... 56 birds for 180 shots :icon_redface: Went out the next day and had 42 birds for 62 shot :D Went out this morning and had 37 birds for 45 shots :clapper::clapper: Pleased as punch for the 2nd and third trip but my first trip was a disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Went off for a day's ferreting on Sunday.. Drove 15 miles to land on Bodmin Moor where I have permission... The rain came in thick and after sittin in the car with my mate and his ferret for an hour looking out at the crap weather and having a yarn, we decided to head home. I remembered seeing quite a few rooks out on our home area the day before when out watching a gun-pack foxing (legally) and so we decided to give it a go...

After checking it out with the 2 relevent farmers we got the ok and so had about 1000 acres to choose from. Most of that is grass of course, but there are quite a few fields in winter barley at the moment and the rooks and crows are going mad for it. We set up in the first field and had about 30 mins at it for 3 birds, but the footpath in that field turned out to be used more than expected so we shifted.

In all between 1:30 and 4:30 we had 24 corvids (mix of mostly rooks with a few carrion crows) and 1 young pigeon that landed to the rook decoys!

My younger mate was on his first day ever decoying and he had 10 for 30 shots. I had 15 for 20 shots. A few weeks before on a different farm I had 17 rooks for about 30 shots. I find that the bag is usually to do with good field craft, etc. rather than shooting ability. A good decoyer should be able to get the birds to fly to exactly the right spot where he/she is most confident of killing.... That's the theory anyway!! I think corvid decoying is a million miles from pigeon decoying in terms of tactics, shooting style, etc.

Be interested to know what anyone's best corvid day was?? Down here in Cornwall big pigeon bags are rare - 70 would be a colossal day.. 17 is my limit (I know that's puny on most people's standards - but there aren't so many here in North Cornwall). My biggest Corvid day was 54 where me & a friend used a small pattern of rooks with a plastic hovering kestrel decoy suspended with a wire from a bamboo cane. It drove the adult rooks mad thinking that a predator was after the feeding rooks and they kept on coming.

So let me know what your best corvid days are, cheers

Edited by rosspti
  • 2 weeks later...

You say bullets... my ratio of bullets to Pigeons is about 98-99%...this is on the ground of course.

I would tend to use a shotgun almost all the time for pigeon and would expect over 70% evey time in all situations, close decoying almost 100%.

Deker

• 4 weeks later...