The Springer Revoloution

Hi folks.

I agree with Andy's post, it covers it all for me.

I've a BSA Scorpion multi shot thats just brilliant for barn work, just got a new perm with hundreds of pigeons so its going to be Scorpion time in the next few weeks.

I'll give the springer a go once i've thinned the numbers down and the farmers satisfied i'm doing my job.

200 acres of rabbit infested rough ground too :D Mon the 80! :thumbs:

C

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good reply`s guys .To be fair im a little let down by some the comments ive recieved , as i feel its being taken the wrong way .The sly snipes people have aimed towards me are like water off a du

Im just sat here , having just charged my guns , MFR .20 , and Airwolf .177 , for a trip out tommorow , and im thinking do i need a spring gun ?     We started many years ago with a springer , my l

At the end of the day it yet again all boils down to personal choice!   I personally love shooting a spring rifle, Ive been using them since the age of 8 when I didnt know PCP's existed. It takes so

Posted Images

Hey Craig,

I've certainly noticed an upsurge lately in the amount of shooters purchasing a springer. Si and Davey run one of the most popular youtube channels out there and coupled with their skills with a springer its no doubt added to people going back to spring.

Some days I really hanker after another pcp rifle to add to my springer for certain situations. I guess its horses for courses. I've noticed more people using springers at my local club as well. It is rewarding when your sat there with a row of pcp shooters and you notice them looking at your target card or your rifle.

I also see alot of new people come to the club and the club gives them pcp's to shoot with because its 'easier' for them. They sit there smashing bulls out at 25 yards straight away!

Wow really! It saddens me as I think everyone new to the sport should be using a springer and learning how to shoot properly then go onto the pcp.

I guess its a new age of shooting now though. When I learnt to shoot some 16 years ago pcp wasn't even an option unless you had a bank account that rivalled Richard Bransons!

These days you can get some cracking deals.

They both have their place and both do the job at hand. For me I've always been a springer man as I too like the feedback from the rifle, the mechanical sounds, the sense of achievement when you hit the target. Equally though it frustrates the hell out of me when I'm not on form and can't hit anything.

So many times I've had that 'easy' shot that I've missed because of not being able to steady the rifle on a foreign object because of recoil! Times like that I wish I had a pcp as well!

If your happy with pcp and they do the job then why bother with spring piston?

Phil

• Like 1

I find it interesting that the general idea is that anyone can pick up a pcp and shoot it . OK , i see that it would be easier , but do people really think pcp shooting is that easy ? Its not hard , we know that , but to get to a point where your confident in your own abilities , weather spriger or pcp , takes time and effort .

• Like 1

I find shooting a springer much more rewarding. Me and Davy both have been out this morning shooting our Spectres and they performed as good as any hunting pcp.

We got 10 corvids and 3 pigeons. Davy got a 54 yard jackdaw straight in the brain in a wind and I got a kneeling un supported woody in a wind at 60 meters in the head. Both were with springers. The satisfaction from our practice is far better than with any pcp.

• Like 1

The satisfaction from our practice is far better than with any pcp.

Now thats a fair point Si , so why are they becoming so popular again ?

Is it the whole experiance that you get , ie , the hours put in at the range , is it price , or are people going back to basics ?

And just for the pm , its a genuine interest i have into why springers seem to be making a massive comeback .

I`ll say , as ive said many times before , i dont shoot em , im more at ease with pcp`s . I have shot them , and no doubt will again at some point , but their just not for me .

I find the cocking of a pcp outweighs the breaking of the barrel when your trying to blend in , and the noise also makes a difference .

• Like 1

I don't think springers have ever lost their popularity, its just that most folk that have been around airguns for a while naturally progress to PCP and use their springer as a trade in, and as most folk will know already, after you have the PCP of your dreams, a good cheap springer (or two) that you fancy will pop up, most likely someone who knows you shoot, and who is skint, thus you would be a sucker not to have it, even if you don't need one, so most of us have a springer as a back up, well you cant knock a bargain, can you :D

• Like 1

Had a springer for years px it for a Pcp loved it got another Pcp because they are so easy ..... But I have to say my last two buys have been springers and they are the one I tend to pick up first .!

I for one will carry the flag for the PCP brigade, quiet and deadly accurate when mastered.Springers to, are just as good albeit the last one I fired was not dissimilar to firing a clay trap.When I go out in the field I don't want calculations, loading single pellets with Gorilla fingers or constantly cocking the barrel, I want to aim, shoot ,kill, ...job done.Its all personal preference but since Hinge and Bracket have shown what can be achieved with a SFS tuned Springer, the Pied Piper affect has produced a healthy following and I would imagine a healthy bit of business for our Tony Wall.Whatever you choose, just enjoy it and post about it.

New members Welcome.........................post-31547-0-74419200-1370709313.jpg

............. :thumbs:

• Like 6

Archie when someone sponsors you and their equipment is quality whats wrong with plugging it?

There would be alot of members on here that wouldnt be so happy with their springers if it wasnt for plugging.

I dont want this to turn in to a THL slating thread. You have had your say and ive answered with mine.

Edited by zini

Archie when someone sponsors you and their equipment is quality whats wrong with plugging it?

There would be alot of members on here that wouldnt be so happy with their springers if it wasnt for plugging.

I dont want this to turn in to a THL slating thread. You have had your say and ive answered with mine.

Sorry Si, I have just read my post again and can see how it looks.I was referring to the posters who keep banging on about Springers and how its the only way to go.I wasn't at all having a go at you or SFS.I am a firm believer in that the contribution you have made to this forum has helped a numerous amount of novice hunters and even the more experienced ones.

• Like 3

The satisfaction from our practice is far better than with any pcp.

Now thats a fair point Si , so why are they becoming so popular again ?

Is it the whole experiance that you get , ie , the hours put in at the range , is it price , or are people going back to basics ?

And just for the pm , its a genuine interest i have into why springers seem to be making a massive comeback .

I`ll say , as ive said many times before , i dont shoot em , im more at ease with pcp`s . I have shot them , and no doubt will again at some point , but their just not for me .

I find the cocking of a pcp outweighs the breaking of the barrel when your trying to blend in , and the noise also makes a difference .

hi Craig

would agree with you 100% on highlited above,as it has happened to me!

i also agree that PCP's are not so easy to shoot,its OK hitting spinning targets but when your in the field,you still have to make that shot placement,whether its a PCP or a spring powered air rifle.

i think also that every air gun enthusiast should have both PCP & spring air rifle :thumbs:

i will take longer shots with my PCP than i will with my Spring rifle,that's just me!

but they are definitely coming back big style,i have noticed it at the last couple of meets THL & AAOC whether that is down to VHTV i cant comment,but VHTV are responsible for the amount of spring rifles lately on THL,because how accurate a person can shoot one! i have also noticed the recoiling section growing in SHS.

there is in both PCP & Spring rifle shooting a certain amount of skill,and we must not forget that they are only as accurate as the air gunner squeezing the trigger,as they will out shoot us every day of the week :thumbs:

i wouldn't say there is more skill involved shooting a spring rifle rather than a PCP,it just takes longer to learn how to shoot it as good as a pcp :thumbs: and they are both as accurate,but taking your quarry at lets say 55 yards is rewarding for both,but the spring rifle shooter i find from experience will appreciate it more,although both good shots :thumbs:

the thing i like about shooting a spring rifle is they will frustrate the freek out of you,but when it all comes together,there's that panama (cigar) moment :D

but as equal i have had plenty of long range panama (Cigar) moments with my PCP to :thumbs:

so whether your shooting a PCP or a Spring powered air rifle,just enjoy it :thumbs:

• Like 5