The Springer Revoloution

I started out like most with springers, using a tuned HW35 for many years. I then moved onto a AA 310k, which although easy to shoot had been bodged by a previous owner. That went and I went back to the 35 for many years. About 3 years ago I took the plunge and bought a Hw100. What an accurate and user friendly piece of kit that was! However good it was, it left me feeling cold, and as the springer got nearly as much use and has always been my got to airgun, I sold it a few months back with a view to getting a top end springer to replace it.

Comparing the 2 types back to back is like comparing a sports car driven with and then without all the safety aids such as ABS and traction control. With, is ultimately faster out of the blocks. But without is far more enjoyable to drive and ultimately, with time you will develop the skill needed to match the sanitised version

Shooting is no different to most things in life, success is not a destination, but the quality of the journey

That sir is brilliantly put! Sums it all up a treat!

I would like a pcp to add to my springer but can't afford two rifles at the moment.

If I could pick a pcp tomorrow I wouldn't be greedy, I would opt for a new BSA ultra multi shot or a AA 410 super lite hunter!

Just been down the range with my AA Pro Sport and sat their enjoying hitting a really small spinner at 55 yards time after time.

I struggle to see what a pcp can do in that scenario that my Pro Sport can't other than reload quicker and get the same result without having to hold the gun as precariously.

Its all good.

Phil.

• Like 3

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good reply`s guys .To be fair im a little let down by some the comments ive recieved , as i feel its being taken the wrong way .The sly snipes people have aimed towards me are like water off a du

Im just sat here , having just charged my guns , MFR .20 , and Airwolf .177 , for a trip out tommorow , and im thinking do i need a spring gun ?     We started many years ago with a springer , my l

At the end of the day it yet again all boils down to personal choice!   I personally love shooting a spring rifle, Ive been using them since the age of 8 when I didnt know PCP's existed. It takes so

Posted Images

Some good reply`s guys .To be fair im a little let down by some the comments ive recieved , as i feel its being taken the wrong way .The sly snipes people have aimed towards me are like water off a ducks back , if your seriously bothered by this , well shame on you . This was never intended to try to drive a wedge between the to but to give a serious and educated look at why spring rifles are making a comeback . Its clear there are pro`s and con`s for both , enjoyment wise it seems the springer is top , and serious pesting being taken by the pcp`s .

• Like 7

Phil there is no difference at all on targets other than satisfaction that you get with a springer.

In the field is a different matter. Especially if you have a lot to shoot. I would love a nice well tuned springer and I have an old 35 kicking about the motor. Which has its uses.

But as you rightly say its the reload time. For me by the time I have reloaded a springer I could have shot another three rabbits. In some instances.

I'm not a target tart, so for me it's a pcp all the way.

sometimes I can put 3 or 4 shots all touching at 35 yards .. SOMETIMES haha and I have to be on very good form to do it,, then the 4th or 5th shot usually goes and inch in a different direction! haha but hey that's just springers for ya! :D

edit to add.. theres not a cat in hells chance of me doing it past 45 yards tho :laugh:

Perfect examle . I shoot reasonably , and ive shot for a few years now , i consider my self a decent shot , nothing more nothing less . I have a favorite rifle , my MFR , it has character by the bucket load , and its does all i can ask of it . If it does`nt perform , then 99% ofthe time its down to me . I dont shoot HFT like most of you springer guys , i hunt . Thats all , now and again you may find me at a range , or club , but thats only for my own benefit , to sight in and get an idea of where im at at differing ranges , ie , everydays a school day . The MFR hits where i point it , does the job its intended for . Now , the new one is a different story . I had it out last week and zero`d at 30yds , very well if im honest . I was very impressed at the cloverleaf grouping i was got at 40 yds , and it just did`nt miss . This is the reason for the initial question , why the facination with springers ? If i can get my rifle to group so well at 40 -50 yds , its enough for me . I think the competition side of things comes into it , as alot of you are HFT shooters , therefore compete with your own abilities in the springer group . I may be missing something but personally , the way i shoot and what i shoot is a major factor in my choices .

Cheers , Bust .

• Like 4

Hey buster,

Its a good thread for debate mate, I hope you havnt taken anything I've said as a insult? It wasn't a dig. Both are great, but for my needs a springer is king right now.

Phil

No mate , not at all . ;)

sometimes I can put 3 or 4 shots all touching at 35 yards .. SOMETIMES haha and I have to be on very good form to do it,, then the 4th or 5th shot usually goes and inch in a different direction! haha but hey that's just springers for ya! :D

edit to add.. theres not a cat in hells chance of me doing it past 45 yards tho :laugh:

Perfect examle . I shoot reasonably , and ive shot for a few years now , i consider my self a decent shot , nothing more nothing less . I have a favorite rifle , my MFR , it has character by the bucket load , and its does all i can ask of it . If it does`nt perform , then 99% ofthe time its down to me . I dont shoot HFT like most of you springer guys , i hunt . Thats all , now and again you may find me at a range , or club , but thats only for my own benefit , to sight in and get an idea of where im at at differing ranges , ie , everydays a school day . The MFR hits where i point it , does the job its intended for . Now , the new one is a different story . I had it out last week and zero`d at 30yds , very well if im honest . I was very impressed at the cloverleaf grouping i was got at 40 yds , and it just did`nt miss . This is the reason for the initial question , why the facination with springers ? If i can get my rifle to group so well at 40 -50 yds , its enough for me . I think the competition side of things comes into it , as alot of you are HFT shooters , therefore compete with your own abilities in the springer group . I may be missing something but personally , the way i shoot and what i shoot is a major factor in my choices .

Cheers , Bust .

Sounds like the wolf is doing its job well :thumbs: if i read it correctly mate.

For me i love my pcps and until a couple of months ago didnt own one spring rifle, i started to do the hft shoots after the thl meet in october. prior to this it was only hunting and paper punching a thought i was an ok shot. i then try hft and found that it was challenging in a different way, when you miss most of the time its a pellet width apart. and you could almost say that every plate you hit would be a bunny in the bag in a hunting scenario. i again only used a pcp. In a hunting scenario the pcp has far more advantages for all the reasons already said. I brought the springer to get into hft hence the tuned version it was an investment in a rifle for this very purpose. i soon found out that i had some bad habits and the spring rifle highlighted them all. i find the springer rifle a pleasure to shoot and at the same time a royal feckin headache when it goes tits up on my part that is. this is when i wanna throw it in the hedge :icon_eek: but soon find i want to retrieve it and continue. i could shoot the springer for hours at a range and wont get bored. Dont get me wrong but i find my pcps silly accurate to silly ranges and after a hour i think well theres f wrong with them. I Still believe that it takes a skill to shoot a pcp overwise we would all be scoring higher in the hft and clearing courses. I will always have both if i can but find that i tend to favour the 97 of late but that be may coz its new. in my opinion the pcp is more forgiving more silent in shooting an reloading..The springer is the opposite, Accuracy wise there nothing in it if i could only be more consistent with the springer.

• Like 2

Cheers , Bust .

I may be wrong, but I don't think that most springer shooters do so for HFT. Most are just happy plinking away wherever in private. Personally I use mine for hunting purposes, with any range time being for practice and or zeroing purposes, just like yourself. I found that multishot facility of a pcp made me lazy on target, which, yes, is down to me and I could have worked at it. I could have also bought a single shot pcp, but chose not to. The same arguments exist in shotguns. Side by side vs over and under. When I shoot clays the o/u comes out because in competition scores are everything. In the field the s/s rules for me, because using it brings an intangible quality to the shooting experience.

cheers, Trench, member of the flat earth society

• Like 1

On this side of the Atlantic multi-stroke pneumatics and springers rule. PCPs are not common. The extra equipment required to support a PCP keeps users in a small group of hobbyists. Shooters here keep air guns as an adjunct to their firearms collection. Airguns are used for cheap target practice or when silence is desirable. Each different airgun or firearm is like a wrench or pliers in a mechanics toolbox. A different tool for a different job.

A springer with an advanced tune is very different from an OTB springer. A tuned springer is smooth, quiet, and hits really hard. Get the compression tube and piston concentric, fitted and aligned like a motorcycle cylinder and fix what the idiot manufacturers didn't do right in the first place. (engineering by bean-counters). You get improved shot cycle over a springer and more feedback than a PCP.

Buster321c, noticed that you have a "Wolf and an MFR. In 12fpe trim these are almost unheard of in the 'States. With the 'Wolf you would get a large shot count. Don't know about the electronics. Here in Missouri the operation of the circuitry might attract tornados. LOL. A .20" Theoben MFR is as about as common as a blue moon. Would hang onto it and let all the others go. No real practical need to get a springer. Like a Kalashnikov, the MFR is heavy, stable, and short enough to be handy, with the short barrel. The .20 caliber would be very versatile in 12fpe. Absolutely splendid.

Peace, hope this helps,

RiverRomper

• Like 3

Well if I'm honest. Your kind of flying your own flag there mate

Why not, I consider myself a half decent shot and van certsinly hold my own as has been witnessed by a lot of members on here!

Had you quoted it properly I also included other people and other well respected shooters of which I can name names if you want

Darryl

• Like 1

Well if I'm honest. Your kind of flying your own flag there mate

Why not, I consider myself a half decent shot and van certsinly hold my own as has been witnessed by a lot of members on here!

Had you quoted it properly I also included other people and other well respected shooters of which I can name names if you want

Darryl

Iv seen this man shoot both pcp,s and springer,s and is as good with one as he is with the other at both short distance and long distance.I would say that he is one of the best up there with the top name,s i use both rifle,s as most of you know and i consider my self to be a good shot with both of them as some of my post,s have proven but in saying that we all can have a bad day ie, we miss every thing with both pcp and springer s the thing about Darryl is he is at the shooting range every week end with out fail and practice make,s perfect with both rifle,s atvbmac

Lol. I deleted my comment as I didn't want it to throw the topic off track and I was going to leave it at that. But as it has re appeared and it is seem as a personal attack and has got your back up, I feel a reply is needed.

I am not knocking anyone's shooting ability. I have read the posts and watched the vids. There is some I hold a great admiration for. YOU included darryl. I respect many lads on this forum who get out there and do it.

My point which I was making. Which so blindly went unseen and is which is what this forum in instances is really lacking is good old banter.

I was calling you a big head as in my eyes it that's how I saw your comment.

Now instead of laughing it off, smiley face or a polite smiley feck off. It has now turning into a thread defending you.

Enough said.

All the very best touchy!!