The Springer Revoloution

Im just sat here , having just charged my guns , MFR .20 , and Airwolf .177 , for a trip out tommorow , and im thinking do i need a spring gun ?

We started many years ago with a springer , my lad and I . It was an SFS ( yes they had a legendary name back then ) Brummy Stingray , in .22 . Once we got into it , and had a few permissions , the rifle really earnt its keep . I mean out 5 nights a week , and i can honestly say it never let me down once .As the permissions grew and the lad seemed to be chasing girls more than rabbits , i moved into PCP`s . Started in the Air Arms range and stayed their a few years , going over to .177 , and never have i felt the need to go back ( to spring , and .22 ) . Although i do often , after reading all the springer `stuff` think i may get one , i can honestly say i dont think they can compare against a working pcp . I`ll probably get shot down in flames , but can a springer be in the same `class` as a PCP ? Now im not knocking you springer guys , in fact i take my hat off to you all as you master your game very well , but is it not a totally different thing ? IF i were to shoot more for fun i could be tempted , as ive shot some VERY smooth springers over the years , but do PCP`s have the edge ? and is the springer popularity down to such things as you tube and the media that is open to MANY more than view airgun forums etc ? Or are they making a comeback as they have the edge ? Either way it must be said , FT / HFT and Hunting , are very different depending on the tools that are chosen ,

Buster ...............

• Like 6

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good reply`s guys .To be fair im a little let down by some the comments ive recieved , as i feel its being taken the wrong way .The sly snipes people have aimed towards me are like water off a du

Im just sat here , having just charged my guns , MFR .20 , and Airwolf .177 , for a trip out tommorow , and im thinking do i need a spring gun ?     We started many years ago with a springer , my l

At the end of the day it yet again all boils down to personal choice!   I personally love shooting a spring rifle, Ive been using them since the age of 8 when I didnt know PCP's existed. It takes so

Posted Images

I have always gone budget :icon_redface:

Most ever spent was a brand new BSA lighting 6/7 years ago £220

I could not afford £400, well I could if I saved but there are so many other things I always need..

• Like 1

Springers make you work for it, you have to actually know how to shoot and the principles of shooting to master a springer

now im not saying that pcp shooters are less accurate or blah blah anything else, im just saying I get more enjoyment out of shooting my springer because it makes me work harder :thumbs: and the fact they recoil just makes me feel like im shooting my fac rifles so im used to it

Not taking anything away from the pcps but the challenge of shooting them isnt as great as shooting a springer

ATB

Adam

Edited by AR177
  • Like 2

Not taking anything away from the pcps but the challenge of shooting them isnt as great as shooting a springer

Thats a fair comment Adam mate , but is it not just evolution that we progress to tools that make the job easier , if youget my drift ?

I would be the first to recomend springers to start from , but is progression not the way we generally go ?

You will get several guys that will tell you an Air Arms Pro Sport,or a sorted HW97 or 77 are as accurate.They are in the right hands and with plenty of practise.Cut all the bullshit and getting straight to the point,you have to be a better rifleman to compete against the pcps.So are springers just as accurate,in the right hands YES!!.

• Like 1

Springers make you work for it, you have to actually know how to shoot and the principles of shooting to master a springer

now im not saying that pcp shooters are less accurate or blah blah anything else, im just saying I get more enjoyment out of shooting my springer because it makes me work harder :thumbs: and the fact they recoil just makes me feel like im shooting my fac rifles so im used to it

ATB

Adam

Not Quite Adam, :rolleyes:

You could go on an even harder Challenge and shoot a Sub 12 ft lb .25 cal PCP,

Learning the trajectory is hard enough but shooting at max distance i.e up to 70 yards when you

can't see the target because your so far down the thick reticle post is to Me an even greater challenge, As like has been said a tuned springer isn't that far off a PCP.

• Like 1

Thats a fair comment Adam mate , but is it not just evolution that we progress to tools that make the job easier , if youget my drift ?

I would be the first to recomend springers to start from , but is progression not the way we generally go ?

I agree with you buster mate for years I was a pcp only man and they have now become surgically precise tools, but to me it became boring with how consistent they had become

to get back to your original point before this gets taken over by an accuracy debate, i think many are going back to springers to add that extra challenge to their shooting, many people do start out with springers as you say and then move onto a pcp

well after a while you think back to when you were a kid and the challenge of shooting that first spring rifle and the enjoyment thats what i think draws people back and why springers are coming back into fashion

ATB

Adam

ATB

Adam

Learning the trajectory is hard enough but shooting at max distance i.e up to 70 yards when you

can't see the target because your so far down the thick reticle post is to Me an even greater challenge, As like has been said a tuned springer isn't that far off a PCP.

Ahh there always one.. :laugh:

I would imagine a .25 sub 12 is like trying to throw a brick at a rabbit 30yrds away Daz :laugh:

I think you stick to pcp cos of your noodle arms mate :whistling::tongue2::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ATB

Adam

• Like 1

ATB

Adam

I would imagine a .25 sub 12 is like trying to throw a brick at a rabbit 30yrds away Daz :laugh:

I think you stick to pcp cos of your noodle arms mate :whistling::tongue2::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ATB

Adam

Known fact Girlie RAF boys have Noodle Arms and are Plastic wannabe Soldiers :laugh::laugh::tongue2::tongue2:;)

Funny enough the TTR 1 with the falcon scope weighs 14 lbs

Edited by Daz 7
  • Like 1

ATB

Adam

ATB

Adam

Known fact Girlie RAF boys have Noodle Arms and are Plastic wannabe Soldiers :laugh::laugh::tongue2::tongue2:;)

:icon_eek: :lol:

well you got me on that one! haha :thumbs:

• Like 1

As most of us did, I started with springers when I was a lad. My Dad was a small arms instructor with the RAF Regiment so I had a good teacher and my first job after I left school was as an apprentice gun smith so I did at least learn the ropes at a young age messing around with other people's guns and getting paid for it. :laugh::D

I stuck solely to springers until about six years ago whe I got myself a AA410c. I'd shot with various friends PCPs which must've been pretty much all of the popular ones at the time but the AA just felt the best for me. I loved it. For a while....

After a year or so of shooting with it I just found it left me cold and I kept on reaching for my old springers which gave me far more satisfaction to shoot. I no longer have the 410 but I still have my HW90 that I've had for sixteen years now.

As for accuracy, PCPs are far easier to master. No doubt. A relative novice can produce decent rested shots with a little tuition but I honestly don't think that they're any more accurate than a springer once it's been learned and mastered but this takes a lot more time and patience and a lot of folks just can't be arsed, which is fair enough when there's an easy option.

If I was just after the numbers then a big bottled multi-shot pre charge would be my tool for the job but I'm not anymore. I'm out for the enjoyment these days and I'll stick to my springers.

Cheers :thumbs:

• Like 5

I think the low cost of springers compared to all the trouble new people to the sport see the pcp as and the price. Once people get into the sport and realise the accuracy of the pcp compared to the springer with little real practice a lot of people then change and are able to hit a lot more targets then they once could. When they get bored of the simplicity of the pcp shooting they try and improve there skills as a shooter as a hole they go back to spring shooting.

Well that's how iv gone anyway, I still have my dads bsa r10 in .177 for when I need pin point accuracy and kill everytime but I enjoy shooting my mates up with my springer when he has his s400

Atb buddy

• Like 2