Bored

dexter098.jpg

dexter073.jpg

he called Dexter 5/8th Gyrsaker, flew at hare best around 2lb mark, mind am still not 100% that I found the ideal weight for him on hare as yet, this year I intend to start him at 2lb and increase weight slightly via muscle mass again large rewards for success, mind he always well fed even if its only a carcass the dog took to end session, he works hard everytiem so worth rewarding , likeksay can cost the odd days sport but hey we got years to perfect this between us lol

adding another pure to the team this year with any luck, and in another year or two a female gyrsaker, I have some pretty crap footage of a couple of flights and kills all try upload, all try upload em tomorrow

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be good if eventually that happened but it's getting the right breeders who no what they are doing and not some numpty after a quick pound. And breeding from the right birds

I hope to get a video of a stoop on a grouse from a hugh pitch come August:)

Reading this thread getting me very itchy boys!

yeah mate that was about it basically plenty of long distance lure work, we just sort of sent dog into cover and had hare carcass on long line and me mate or kid was running like feck trying to simulate a hare running, the bird quickly got the idea and being well rewarded on carcass he always wanted too play, even when we where yanking him about he simply became more aggressive towards the lure, also did a lot of fitness work jumping up ladder and hard swing lure work, gave him heads to play with in mews and on weathering lawn, he also ate in front of the dog daily whilst out in field, he never really knew failure as the dog would always stop one or at worst I would have a carcass to end the hunt on, confidence and reward where the key factors imho

yeah mate that was about it basically plenty of long distance lure work, we just sort of sent dog into cover and had hare carcass on long line and me mate or kid was running like feck trying to simulate a hare running, the bird quickly got the idea and being well rewarded on carcass he always wanted too play, even when we where yanking him about he simply became more aggressive towards the lure, also did a lot of fitness work jumping up ladder and hard swing lure work, gave him heads to play with in mews and on weathering lawn, he also ate in front of the dog daily whilst out in field, he never really knew failure as the dog would always stop one or at worst I would have a carcass to end the hunt on, confidence and reward where the key factors imho

i thought it would be harder than that. the stigma around falcon training is its difficult and only really for a select few

I'd be interested to hear how much time you lot are spending out hunting with your birds.

I'm lucky In that I only work a couple of miles from home so for much of the season I can get back and get an hour or two out with the hawk , some nights I won't so will do high jumps etc.I have a forty foot long tall garage for doing stuff like that on the days when the weather hinders flying outside.

I have every Saturday and Sunday to do what I want, once the clocks change and we lose the daylight I'll use holidays to get at least another day of flying in each week plus there's lamping to look into.Two weeks off at Christmas can be spent hunting with her except for the traditional Boxing Day Hunt. By the end of January were back to enough daylight after work for a bit of hunting after work.

I'd like to be able to do more but I have to go to work so I can only do what I can.

So how do others manage? I know that there will be days when due to not getting away from work on time or bad weather I will not be able to fly my hawk. It happened a few times last season and it did my head in,I'd be set to fly home and the rain would start the wind. I found it very frustrating at times.

I have no kids and no other commitments to stop me from doing what I want and whilst im always skint by pay day I don't have to worry about travelling costs etc. Still work alone means that I have to be seriously committed to do what needs doing to keep my hawk or previously dogs in work.

I'd be interested to hear how much time you lot are spending out hunting with your birds.

I'm lucky In that I only work a couple of miles from home so for much of the season I can get back and get an hour or two out with the hawk , some nights I won't so will do high jumps etc.I have a forty foot long tall garage for doing stuff like that on the days when the weather hinders flying outside.

I have every Saturday and Sunday to do what I want, once the clocks change and we lose the daylight I'll use holidays to get at least another day of flying in each week plus there's lamping to look into.Two weeks off at Christmas can be spent hunting with her except for the traditional Boxing Day Hunt. By the end of January were back to enough daylight after work for a bit of hunting after work.

I'd like to be able to do more but I have to go to work so I can only do what I can.

So how do others manage? I know that there will be days when due to not getting away from work on time or bad weather I will not be able to fly my hawk. It happened a few times last season and it did my head in,I'd be set to fly home and the rain would start the wind. I found it very frustrating at times.

I have no kids and no other commitments to stop me from doing what I want and whilst im always skint by pay day I don't have to worry about travelling costs etc. Still work alone means that I have to be seriously committed to do what needs doing to keep my hawk or previously dogs in work.

im out of the house at 8am and get home at 3:30-4 pm, monday to thursday. Friday home at 3 ish, grab a ferret and the bird straight out and try get a rabbit. weekends are all mine so out hunting all day with the hawk. this year im lamping mainly through the week so i dont have to rush around and try to get finished as quick so i can get home in time to hunt the bird.i do jump ups when the winds too bad to fly and also just drop in the odd session now and then or when ive got to go and do other plans

i thought it would be harder than that. the stigma around falcon training is its difficult and only really for a select few

most the litrature regarding falconry is a little old hat imho, theres some great stuff written dont get me wrong, but like any sport advances are made but some simlyt like to retain there mystique and lkeep others fronm there sport, incidently they usually the ones who breed tions of birds that really don't need to be bred, I could see the sensce years back but it never fails to cease to amaze me that all these guys have top class huntign birds not just one but a pair , very lucky that is, most dog men lucky to ever own one decent dog never mind two worthy of breedign from at same time lol

to me the birds free to refuse any quarry theres little I can do to make him wed to anything , Im not one for cutting weight either as I have found in past its counter productive and weakens the bird if done continualy, maybe I just got lucky with him and maybe that luck will eventually end but nice whilst it lasts

• Like 1

im out of the house at 8am and get home at 3:30-4 pm, monday to thursday. Friday home at 3 ish, grab a ferret and the bird straight out and try get a rabbit. weekends are all mine so out hunting all day with the hawk. this year im lamping mainly through the week so i dont have to rush around and try to get finished as quick so i can get home in time to hunt the bird.i do jump ups when the winds too bad to fly and also just drop in the odd session now and then or when ive got to go and do other plans

That sounds similar to how my seasons hunting will go,I haven't caught a rabbit on the lamp with her yet but she did fly a few last season without success but I feel that was because they were local lamp shy rabbits which are ran by kids and their lurchers constantly.Whatever makes it to October round here knows what a lamp is lol. I saw enough to see the potential on the right land with a bigger rabbit population.

I knew I couldn't do a hawk justice and do anything else except go to work, that's why I waited until my kennel block was empty before committing to owning a Harris. I admit though that it was with some sadness when the kennels were changed into the hawks aviary, that doesn't mean any hint of regret it was more remembering the dogs that had lived there but we're now gone, some buried in the garden.

mines not caught owt on the lamp either only went once 2 seasons ago and saw f**k all. but this year its just too much hassle to rush around to fly the hawk, whilst i was managing it was a job in itself, so lamping is gonna make a bigger chunk in my season this year

Edited by youcanthide...BANG