Badger In France

The irony of people where badger digging is illegal, telling people where its legal , that they are doing it wrong is beautiful.

Also nice to hear the woman in the video describe the badger as handsome and magnificent as opposed to the derogatory "pigs" heard so often on here.

Stating that you don't agree with baiting an animal for the sake of baiting it isn't ironic.

Would it be ironic if I said that the people in Pakistan who declaw, muzzle and tether bears before setting dogs on them are wrong to do so, simply because that's illegal here? I feel you don't quite understand what irony is.

I will always defend the way that anyone chooses to hunt and will be the first to state cultural differences as a reason for practices that we may not agree with (check out the Dogo and Patt thread in this section) However, when practices will cause an animal to react in such a way in the future that it could cause serious damage or death to a dog, I will voice my opinion.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to hunt in a few different countries so we get to see all sorts of stuff, first hand.

i take it you dont like coursing hares either.

What????!!!!! Why would you think that?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very easy to wipe out that particular type of quarry in an area over a very short space of time,not like fox where you could kill a couple today and by tomorrow 2 more would have moved in to same area

What a debate ! We are very cautious concerning badger populations here. If you hunt to much, population can decrease. In some areas, badger hunters are numerous. So, they release a part of badger

Can folk not just watch a video on here snd show some appreciation for the guy who put it up. Im not too fussed who kills quary or who releases it. But i am envious of guys like those on the video who

I like coursing, I like lamping and I like digging. My point is, why dig anything if you're not going to despatch it? Anything that goes to ground and has been educated by being dug and released will be harder to dig in future and potentially dangerous. There's more of a tendency for it to the keep the dogs moving, the second any digging starts then that animal is going to move away. Your dogs will be down a long time and there's going to be a lot of wasted digging. There's also the risk of your quarry digging on and the potential for your dog to become buried. Your dogs could get smashed up because it may rather face the dog than face the human digging to it.

And out of respect for my quarry, I don't want to harass and hurt it anymore than is necessary.

Guest thebigdog

The irony of people where badger digging is illegal, telling people where its legal , that they are doing it wrong is beautiful.

Also nice to hear the woman in the video describe the badger as handsome and magnificent as opposed to the derogatory "pigs" heard so often on here.

Stating that you don't agree with baiting an animal for the sake of baiting it isn't ironic.

Would it be ironic if I said that the people in Pakistan who declaw, muzzle and tether bears before setting dogs on them are wrong to do so, simply because that's illegal here? I feel you don't quite understand what irony is.

I will always defend the way that anyone chooses to hunt and will be the first to state cultural differences as a reason for practices that we may not agree with (check out the Dogo and Patt thread in this section) However, when practices will cause an animal to react in such a way in the future that it could cause serious damage or death to a dog, I will voice my opinion.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to hunt in a few different countries so we get to see all sorts of stuff, first hand.

because a large proportion of hares that are run, are not caught. all coursing lads know there is a very good chance of old puss getting away, nevertheless he is still run. what im trying to do is, draw your attention to the similarities between digging to game that you know that you will let run and running a hare that you would know your might not catch. surely if you think one is cruel, you must also think the same of the other? just because you dont do a particular fieldsport, or have no real understanding of it, is no reason to speak so negatively about it.

oh and by the by, its not "baiting".

• Like 1

because a large proportion of hares that are run, are not caught. all coursing lads know there is a very good chance of old puss getting away, nevertheless he is still run. what im trying to do is, draw your attention to the similarities between digging to game that you know that you will let run and running a hare that you would know your might not catch. surely if you think one is cruel, you must also think the same of the other? just because you dont do a particular fieldsport, or have no real understanding of it, is no reason to speak so negatively about it.

oh and by the by, its not "baiting".

There's a big, big difference. Not only with regards to the different characteristics between an animal that lives entirely above ground and one that is in it's burrow, and how each individual animal reacts to threats and recovers from them but also with regards to the duration of the "chase".

As for thinking something is cruel, when did I say that?

When did I say I don't dig? I do and I've listed the reasons why releasing anything once dug is not a good idea. You seem to have chosen to ignore those points.

Maybe you could enlighten me with your greater understanding and explain why it would be beneficial to you when you're digging to have your dogs being constantly moved or every time you broke through to find you were too far away to do anything as the quarry had pushed your dogs back or to have your dogs to ground for an extended period or to have you dog smashed up or to have your quarry dig on and push earth behind them to potentially entomb your dog.

I've not spoken negatively about digging, please go back and show me where I have, I've spoken negatively about digging and releasing your quarry. I feel it's yourself that doesn't have much of an understanding. Please provide reasoned arguments to counter my claims and tell me why it's beneficial to release dug quarry.

Working your dog to something for your own amusement and with no intention of killing it and just to allow your dog to harass an animal is baiting, look up the definition.

Edited by kranky

No its not baiting you clown, its digging and releasing! If the animal doesnt need to be killed ill let it go to dig another day. And its already been said why its benificial to realease quarry, so you dont wipe them out in a particular area. If you have ever done much digging like you keep saying you have, your the first man i know whos in the game simply for pest control... where as everybody else i know enjoy working there dogs!

No its not baiting you clown, its digging and releasing! If the animal doesnt need to be killed ill let it go to dig another day. And its already been said why its benificial to realease quarry, so you dont wipe them out in a particular area. If you have ever done much digging like you keep saying you have, your the first man i know whos in the game simply for pest control... where as everybody else i know enjoy working there dogs!

So, answer the points I've raised then, you moron. So it's beneficial to put game in areas where it isn't but what about digging something that's been dug and released? There's no problems associated with that?

Where did I say I don't enjoy it? Nowhere!!! I just don't struggle to find quarry to dig. I don't need to move stuff about, if you ain't got enough permission maybe your dogs ain't good enough and people don't want you on their land or maybe there's plenty about but your dogs can't find it. Maybe you need to change your dogs,

make alot of assumptions dont you kranky about somebody you know nothing at all about? i didnt say its benificial to put game in areas where there isnt, but for US terrerimen its benificial not to wipe our own sport out! And yes educated game will be harder to dig, but maybe... just MAYBE its yours dogs that arent worth much if they cant do anything with game thats been dug before? maybe?

• Like 2

make alot of assumptions dont you kranky about somebody you know nothing at all about? i didnt say its benificial to put game in areas where there isnt, but for US terrerimen its benificial not to wipe our own sport out! And yes educated game will be harder to dig, but maybe... just MAYBE its yours dogs that arent worth much if they cant do anything with game thats been dug before? maybe?

Don't get all precious and offended. You called me a clown and made assumptions about me. US terriermen have got more types if quarry to dig to than UK terriermen, so that's not an excuse.

Respect for quarry, marksmanship, safety and fieldxraft are all areas where the UK is leaps and bounds ahead of the US. There's no bag limits here. If I type Worlds Worst Hunter into the search bar on YouTube, how many videos do you think will be from the UK and how many will be from the US?

My dogs aren't in question here, I've already stated that there's no shortage of quarry for them and they always find, you're the one that's advocating moving quarry for your dogs to hunt. Get dogs with a better nose and you'll stop all of this silliness.

And before you reply, answer my points about problems with dug and released game, otherwise it'll be another load of pointless whining. My dogs don't whine, my kids don't whine so I don't have to listen to it from you.

Where did all this US bullshit come from? it was just the word us in capitals! :laugh: so your dogs arent in question... but mine are? okay! and where did i say anything about moving quarry? were talking about realeasing quarry after being dug, instead of killing everything! And yes i agree with the points you made about educated game, but isnt that what terrierwork is about? testing your dogs?

Where did all this US bullshit come from? it was just the word us in capitals! :laugh: so your dogs arent in question... but mine are? okay! and where did i say anything about moving quarry? were talking about realeasing quarry after being dug, instead of killing everything! And yes i agree with the points you made about educated game, but isnt that what terrierwork is about? testing your dogs?

Give me a fecking break!! I'm trying to drive home and argue on the Internet!! I did find it a bit strange, the whole US thing.

So you are saying that you agree with me and I'm right. That's an end to the matter as far as I'm concerned then. Thanks.

Lol!! I agree that its about testing your dogs, but why make it that hard unless you've got nice shallow dens in soft ground. We ain't got the luxury of being able to release after a dig or we fall foul of the law.